leveling my 2016 for 35s?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boywithatruck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looking into level kits for my 2016 so i can stuff some 35s under there. found the zone 2in kit that comes with upper control arms for like 520 on there web sight.

had 2 questions

1 im amusing there hasnt been any major changes in the '16 upper ball joints so they still require upper control arms with a level to prevent future issues?

2 it says they have replaceable ball joints that you can get at a local parts store which ones are these cause from what i understand our trucks stock ones are serviced with the arm.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You'll be far better getting Bilsteins to level your truck rather than a spacer kit. They ride better and are easier on your front suspension and don't require new upper A-arms.

Check out the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature as it will give you a ton more information on this and what the best setup is for your truck.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
This ^

If you still do want to replace the UCA'S go with Mevotech

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i must have seen hundreds of trucks that were supposedly leveled but to me it appears the ass end is sagging 2". ford and chevy seem to be the worst but ive seen plenty of dodges this way also. guy down the street has 2 new chevys with lifts and im sure they are ment to be level but you can see from a mile away the space between fender and tire is much larger in the front. how the hell is this considered level ? then when towing a trailer the front is like 6" higher than the back. i dont get it

15RamEXP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went with the Bilstein and don't regret it. I am doing the same, having Nitto G2 put on this week, will post a picture when they are on. As mentioned above much better choice then a leveling kit.

Hazmatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 crew cab express
Engine
To the guys running 35's on stock wheels with bilsteins. I'm assuming your at 2.8 according to Brandon's thread. Did you install anything else for the 35's uca, spacers? what brand etc?. any rubbing or other issues? Thanks!

Last edited:

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To the guys running 35's on stock wheels with bilsteins. I'm assuming your at 2.8 according to Brandon's thread. Did you install anything else for the 35's uca, spacers? what brand etc?. any rubbing or other issues? Thanks!

The safe bet is that you will need wheel spacers to run 35x12.5 tires on stock rims. Some guys will tell you that you don't need them but that's because they're running small 35x12.5's that actually measure far smaller that Toyo's or Nitto's 35x12.5's. Motorsport Tech's 10mm hub centric spacers are the ones you want to be looking at for that application.

You can generally get away with Bilsteins at 2.1" running 35's on stock wheels with spacers as well because of the narrow stance. It keeps the turning radius of the wheel smaller which reduces the chance of rubbing.

With Bilsteins you don't need new upper A-arms as the Bilsteins keep the suspension travel within OEM specs and doesn't allow it to overextend like spacer type leveling kits do which is where the ball joint pops out. You just want to be careful during install to ensure you don't put too much stress on the upper ball joint and making it pop then. I recommend unbolting the steering knuckle from the upper ball joint to make sure there's no issue with that.

Hazmatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 crew cab express
Engine
alright . good to know. I had the truck on some pretty beat up forest service roads today . I definitely need to get the nose up out of the dirt. My hole was puckering a bit crossing some gully. I thought I was gonna rip the lower air dam right off.

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bils @ 2.1, 35s no spacers, stock arms. 20k miles, lots of 4 wheeling.

DSC_5867_zps580ce855.jpg

Hazmatt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 crew cab express
Engine
looks awesome what tires?

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The safe bet is that you will need wheel spacers to run 35x12.5 tires on stock rims. Some guys will tell you that you don't need them but that's because they're running small 35x12.5's that actually measure far smaller that Toyo's or Nitto's 35x12.5's. Motorsport Tech's 10mm hub centric spacers are the ones you want to be looking at for that application.

You can generally get away with Bilsteins at 2.1" running 35's on stock wheels with spacers as well because of the narrow stance. It keeps the turning radius of the wheel smaller which reduces the chance of rubbing.

With Bilsteins you don't need new upper A-arms as the Bilsteins keep the suspension travel within OEM specs and doesn't allow it to overextend like spacer type leveling kits do which is where the ball joint pops out. You just want to be careful during install to ensure you don't put too much stress on the upper ball joint and making it pop then. I recommend unbolting the steering knuckle from the upper ball joint to make sure there's no issue with that.

How do the BFGoodrich KO2s compare with the Toyos or Nittos regarding diameter size?
It seems like to run 35x12.5s on stock wheels or something without a negative offset you need a spacer of 1.5" or larger?
I want to run either Method NVs (+18 offset, unfortunately standards are backordered a couple of months) or my fall back wheel is the XD Addicts (-12 offset) on 35x12.5 BFG KO2s with bilsteins at 2.8 up front.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How do the BFGoodrich KO2s compare with the Toyos or Nittos regarding diameter size?

It seems like to run 35x12.5s on stock wheels or something without a negative offset you need a spacer of 1.5" or larger?

I want to run either Method NVs (+18 offset, unfortunately standards are backordered a couple of months) or my fall back wheel is the XD Addicts (-12 offset) on 35x12.5 BFG KO2s with bilsteins at 2.8 up front.

Bfgs usually run on the smaller side. Toyos and nittos are usually bigger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

BFG's do run smaller than the Toyo's or Nitto's width wise but the overall diameter will be very similar; likely 34.5" or so when mounted.

The width of the tire on a stock wheel is what triggers the need for spacers or not. 35x12.5's only need 10mm (3/8") spacers to clear the upper A-arm on stock wheels. I recommend Motorsport Tech's spacers. Going larger such as 1.5" spacers with only a leveling kit will actually give you more rubbing issues because of the stance being too wide without enough height.

The +18 offset wheels will need spacers to run most 35x12.5 tires. The -12 offset will fit them no problem. There may be a very minor amount of rubbing on the back of the inner fender but that would be it and it could easily be fixed.

Bigge2511

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can anyone tell me what is the best level kit for my ram 1500. It's a 2016 and I was told the rough country are junk. Which is the best way to level it

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks will give you a lift upfront to level out the ride. They are adjustable up to 2.8" which will give you a nice level.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can anyone tell me what is the best level kit for my ram 1500. It's a 2016 and I was told the rough country are junk. Which is the best way to level it

Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Front Struts are one of the best options available. I'd suggest reading through the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature for more information on why they're better than a spacer type leveling kit such as Rough Country.

chipmaker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
looks awesome what tires?

Mastercraft Coursers 35x12.50. They must be a skinny 12.50 since I didn't need spacers like the experts said I would. I may try BFG KOs next, but it may be awhile, these are wearing well, just a little hum on freeway.