Leveling questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slimdelight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I'm thinking about leveling my truck. I've never done that to any of my trucks, and really don't know much about it. Do people raise the front or lower the back to level it out? Also, what does it cost to have something like that done?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
on 4x4's most people will raise the front. since you are a 2016 to do this your best option is to level with bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks. The shocks will cost just under $200. To have a shop install and align the truck could run as high as $500

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are a few different methods to leveling the truck but all are raising the front. Prices range from 70 bucks for some cheap coil spacers and do it yourself or somewhere in the 200-250 range for bilstein 5100 leveling shocks and do it yourself which is by far a better method then spacers.... how much a shop will charge to install either I have no clue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Highly recommend going with the bilstein method

OP
OP
S

Slimdelight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm, what are the benefits to raising the front as opposed to lowering the rear?

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
more clearance for different wheels and bigger tires

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Hmm, what are the benefits to raising the front as opposed to lowering the rear?
It all depends on your preference and how you use your truck. If you're off-road a lot, lowering the rear would be a bad choice, but if you drive a lot of highway miles, it might be the way to go.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I have done both, and they each have their place. Lifting the front gives it a more aggressive offroad look and function by increasing ground clearance, but I only like going this route if you plan to also run a taller and more aggressive offroad tire. You will lose some performance, handling, and fuel mileage by going this route.

If you have a street truck and care more about performance, mileage, and handling, then lowering the back is a better option. You can also get away with keeping your stock wheels and tires if lowering the rear.

OP
OP
S

Slimdelight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have done both, and they each have their place. Lifting the front gives it a more aggressive offroad look and function by increasing ground clearance, but I only like going this route if you plan to also run a taller and more aggressive offroad tire. You will lose some performance, handling, and fuel mileage by going this route.

If you have a street truck and care more about performance, mileage, and handling, then lowering the back is a better option. You can also get away with keeping your stock wheels and tires if lowering the rear.
This is what I was looking for thanks. I've currently got the stock 20x9 wheels and don't plan on getting any bigger wheels. I really don't plan on doing any off roading either.

Thanks everyone for the input!

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Keep in mind payload, not sure how much weight you can put in the bed without tires rubbing with it dropped and stock size tires

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Keep in mind payload, not sure how much weight you can put in the bed without tires rubbing with it dropped and stock size tires

A Lot. Here is my 2015 with a 2/3 lowering kit pulling 7800lbs with stock height tires...

Attachments

• Race Trailer.jpg
    Race Trailer.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 43

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
A Lot. Here is my 2015 with a 2/3 lowering kit pulling 7800lbs with stock height tires...
Not in the bed, but that's a sick picture lol

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Not in the bed, but that's a sick picture lol

Its the same principle though. Doesnt matter if the weight is in the bed or on a trailer, a simple set of helper bags in the rear coils actually makes a lowered truck more functional for towing/hauling than a bigger lifted truck. The lower bed height makes it much easier to load items into the bed, makes it easier to see while pulling/backing up a trailer, and doesnt catch as much drag while also makes it easier to pull while getting a little better mileage.

Many people are under the impression that a lowered truck is not as functional as a lifted truck, but that is far from accurate. The only real functional benefit to a lifted truck is the extra ground clearance offroad. Just about everything else is easier/better with a lowered stance.

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Just for fun, here is that exact same truck and trailer being pulled by the exact same truck, but with a front leveling kit with 35's and no helper bags. This truck really struggled to pull that same 7800lb trailer after I lifted the front and pulled the helper bags out of the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_4088.jpg
    IMG_4088.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 39

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its the same principle though. Doesnt matter if the weight is in the bed or on a trailer, a simple set of helper bags in the rear coils actually makes a lowered truck more functional for towing/hauling than a bigger lifted truck. The lower bed height makes it much easier to load items into the bed, makes it easier to see while pulling/backing up a trailer, and doesnt catch as much drag while also makes it easier to pull while getting a little better mileage.

Many people are under the impression that a lowered truck is not as functional as a lifted truck, but that is far from accurate. The only real functional benefit to a lifted truck is the extra ground clearance offroad. Just about everything else is easier/better with a lowered stance.
I'm not arguing anything you just stated, other then towing and pay load are definitely not the same. Put that 7500 pounds in your bed and see how hard it squats vs that picture lol. Payload is specifically what I stated, i said nothing about tow rating or practicality or anything of the sort.

ramportin1

Sickest member here
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2016 ram 1500 max tow capacity 8,370 (more then what you had in the picture.) Max payload 1,933..... big difference

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
A Ram with 2" rear drop coils and helper bags will have a higher payload than a truck with the front end leveled 2" without helper bags. That was the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn, those 2 blue trucks sure look good chasing each other!!!!!!!!
Jay

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Damn, those 2 blue trucks sure look good chasing each other!!!!!!!!
Jay

Yours was right next to me in this picture, but I had to crop it out because of those hideous flares that you have on it :roflsquared: