Leveling Spacer kits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Before everyone starts I know Bilstein or Rancho strut kits are better. Unfortunately the truck is a lease and I'm on a budget.

I'm looking at the Rough Country preload spacer kit 2.5"

Or

Moto Fab 2.5" strut spacer kit no strut disassembly required because it mounts between the strut and strut mount.

What is the better/healthier system.

Obviously I don't want to have to take the strut apart if I do not need to do moto fab sounds like the easier kit. Is it better or worse for the truck vs a kit that preloads the spring within the struct?

I'm planning on running 275/65/20 on oem sport wheels.

FYI I AM LOOKING FOR 4 Like new Sport 20x9" wheels. I'm in NH but I'm willing to ship them with or with out tires. I've shipped plenty of wheels and tires before so I know it's expensive.

Thanks everyone!

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I would just get the spacers for on top of the struts, these are easy to install and can be had for $30 off ebay.
The other compresses the spring to lift and the oem shocks cant control that stiff spring rate and its going to ride alot rougher.

just my opinion

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That's what I was thinking 69GWC. Just looking for some positive reinforcement.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yeah spacers are looked down at, but there are a ton of people using them and I will be for now as well.
I will see what I think of them if I dont like them I will just replace them with a set of bills.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Gonna be watching this thread. I've got the rough country 2.5" lift ( front and rear spacers ) sitting on a shelf and debating wether or not to put it on. I got it cheap enough that I can resell it and not loose out.

I'd go the bilstien route, but I can't justify replacing both front struts with only 17000 kms on them.

For what it worth, the ball joint issues ppl have seem to be on trucks that are taken off road where the suspension can go to full droop. A daily driver ( no major off roading ) " should " be fine with the spacer kits. ( someone with more experience on this feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Thats my opinion on it as well, full droop is where the spacer adds more travel that can cause a problem.
Read about guys with bills having the same problem.
Sure the bills are better you get what you pay for but 30 bucks for spacers is just hard to pass on..lol

I have a set of spacers for the front and spacers,springs and shocks for the rear, hoping to get installed real soon.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My thoughts exactly guys. This is all about looks here. My wheeling days are over. If I go wheeling again it will be in a Jeep.

My truck is a lease with just over 8,000 miles on it and I just can't justify a full set of new struts on the truck at this point. Especially since it's a pavement pounder. The most it sees is dirt roads. I'm just looking to put a 275/65/20 all terrain tire on stock sport polished wheels and call it done.

If I run in to problems in the future or decide to keep the truck I'll opt for Bilsteins or Rancho.

I just don't like the idea of preloading the crap out of the spring within the oem strut to gain the lift. I would rather add a moto fab type billet spacer on top of the strut assembly and get an alignment and be done.

I wouldn't care so much if it was like an old cool spring a shock setup like trucks and jeeps used to have.

Andrew09HEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Go with the spacer that mounts on top not the preload one. Preload compresses the spring, will change the ride since the spring is already in its compression state and will wear it out quicker. On an IFS, ideally a full assembly would be better here as we know but the better of the two is the strut spacer. There's nothing wrong with it and as long as you're not an idiot you won't over extended anything.

Mviohl311

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just make sure the spacers are metal and not rubber/plastic... over time the rubber/plastic spacers wear and can even break

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The spacers are one piece billet aluminum and powder coated.