lifted and towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
09 TRX4

first question is.....how much of a lift can i go before towing an 4600 - 7000lb TT will become an issue?

second question is...... will bigger tires afterwards have any effect on this

the lift wont be for the dunes or anything. i just like the look and a couple of buddies have some acres they rip thru for fun

sorry if i left out any info needed on the truck or trailer to answer this question

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
You'll be able to go as high as you want on a 1500 and still be able to pull that weight provided you get the right setup. It's tire size that will become an issue because when you go to larger tires you reduce your overall gear ratio. This essentially is harder on your entire driveline, especially when towing. So depending on your stock gear ratio I'd probably recommend sticking with 35's max unless you plan to regear.

FYI - I'm running a 9" lift on my 3500 with 37's and pull 10,000 lbs no problem. However I have 4.56 gears in the truck and the proper hitch setup to be pulling that weight.

m4mckeen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You'll be able to go as high as you want on a 1500 and still be able to pull that weight provided you get the right setup. It's tire size that will become an issue because when you go to larger tires you reduce your overall gear ratio. This essentially is harder on your entire driveline, especially when towing. So depending on your stock gear ratio I'd probably recommend sticking with 35's max unless you plan to regear.

FYI - I'm running a 9" lift on my 3500 with 37's and pull 10,000 lbs no problem. However I have 4.56 gears in the truck and the proper hitch setup to be pulling that weight.

I agree, if your pulling a lot i would re-gear but if your only pulling every once and a while i would not be too concerned

OP
OP
Hxcburrito

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tow once a month from may thru October, so I would say it's not that much. From what I was told and read, this truck has the 3:92 gears and has 20's instead of the stock 17's. My thoughts are a small 2 " or 3" lift and beefier tires

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Suspension lift would be better if you're going to be doing a lot of offroad

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Hxcburrito

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Suspension lift would be better if you're going to be doing a lot of offroad

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

probably hardly ever. just something for the looks and a little bit of fun in. maybe some trails up north and some friends have a field lot on the back half of their place that they rip through. kind of swampy soggy field

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get a body lift if thats the case.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the height you want to acheive go with a suspension lift for sure. Essentially what you're looking for is a leveling kit and then possibly adding rear coil spacers if you want to try to avoid sagging while towing.

Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts are what you'll want for the front end. You can set them at either 2.1" or 2.8" depending on the amount of front end lift you want. On the rear (if you do want more lift back there) I would look at Top Gun Customz rear coil spacers in what ever size you want. Getting some Air Lift 1000 bags for the rear coils wouldn't be a bad idea either to prevent sag while towing and stabilize the truck.

For tires I'd recommend something around the 34" tall mark. Are you looking for a full MT tire or wanting to stay with an aggressive looking AT tire?

OP
OP
Hxcburrito

Hxcburrito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't the TRX have a factory leveling kit? Or am I misunderstanding what youre saying? My truck sits level compared to a coworkers big horn.

I don't remember what site I was looking at, but all the suspension lifts they sold had a note that said not for the trx4 trim

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All 4th gen 4wd 1500's come at the same height. The "raised ride height" code will be found on every build sheet. Your best way to find out where your truck is sitting is to measure all 4 fender heights and determine what your stock rake is. Not all trucks come 100% equal from the factory which is why yours may look different than your buddys.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesn't the TRX have a factory leveling kit? Or am I misunderstanding what youre saying? My truck sits level compared to a coworkers big horn.

I don't remember what site I was looking at, but all the suspension lifts they sold had a note that said not for the trx4 trim

The TRX comes with struts that give the front end a 3/4" taller ride height.