Lifting a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RenoMichaels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 4x4. I want to get it lifted a little bit but not over the top. I know you can either do a body lift or suspension lift and I know that a suspension lift is more expensive. My goal is to just have a higher stance and possibly put bigger tires on it, but I have a couple questions.
1. If I put a 3" body lift on the truck is there a brand that people prefer that basically comes as a kit with everything you need?
2. With a 3" lift what size tires can I go up to?

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Performance accessories would be your best bet. I'm guessing 35s are the biggest but that would depend on what wheels you use. Somebody else can answer that a lot better than I can.

OP
OP
R

RenoMichaels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Dantheman. Additionally I know most people prefer the suspension lift compared to the body lift bc the suspension lift is raising the the entire truck and give you more clearance as opposed to just the body. But I guess what I'm confused about is that even with a suspension lift the actual axels of the truck aren't being raised correct? So the gaining more clearance part doesn't make sense to me on the reasoning to go suspension vs Body lift. And if you can put bigger tires on a truck with a lifted body wouldn't the bigger tires raise the axels higher off the ground in turn actually providing the truck with more overall clearance?

Hemipower392

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm missing 2 cylinders
You're right, lifting it in any way (body lift/suspension lift) will not raise the axles, only getting bigger tires will.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That is correct. The only true way to gain real ground clearance is to put larger tires on. You can argue that that is not necessarily true with IFS suspensions because a lift with those technically pushes the arms, axle, etc up. But still the lower control arms are the limiting factor. Lifts really only improve bumper and frame clearance. Larger tires are really the only true way to gain real ground clearance.

Mitag3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Express
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When offroad you'll notice that the most common places to hit are your rocker panels or frame in between the axles. That is where a suspension lift comes in handy. Bigger tires help raise the axles, and the entire truck, but picking a good path will help keep your axle out of the ground.