Lifting on a budget.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As always, thx for your suggestion. I didn’t mention in my op that the truck has 50k miles and the tires will need replacing soon, since I was thinking about running bigger tires anyway, I bought a set of used 295s when I saw the deal too good to pass up instead of replacing em with new factory size, i settled with the 295s

If leveling is enough to fit those tires on, I might just forgo the 6 inch level. I have yet taken the truck off road, and I dont think I ever will. I just want a broader stand and take out the 2” rake. I dont think the wheels can wait until I saved up the $3000. Above all, my tire rod ends need replaced as I mentioned. So minus well install those Bils while I am at it. Thats the reason I suggested with upgrading in stages. But I can also see your points. Thanks for the suggestions again. I have 5 295 wheels taking up half of my garage. And my UCA just got delivered.

Learn to walk before run. If leveling is the look that I am looking for, i will save a few thousands. And when I am ready to add the 6” lift on, my truck will prob. Have 100K miles, I will prob. Save the kit for my new Truck.. Most likely a Ram 2500 Diesel.

OP
OP
S

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As much as I enjoy reading all your informative suggestions, MY original question mainly wanted to know if 20X12 -24 with 295X60 can clear with only the Bils @ 2.1” or do I need to jack it up to 2.8” and add a 3/4” spacer to the rear coil to keep it level. Again, please keep in mind I do not go off road. Thanks.

OP
OP
S

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s EXACTLY what I’m saying....a thread saying “budget lift” is not gonna end well. Lol
When I said Budget I dont mean taking corners, and purchase a low quality lifting kits like Tuff Country. And call it a day. I know I dont need Bilstein with the kit. But my truck has 50K miles already, its a good time for me to upgrade. I want to do things the right way, with the right parts. Just don’t want to get them all done at once’s. If I bought a new truck I wont even touch anything until parts need replacing. Guess I have not got bitten by the bug just yet.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
My recommendation is stay away from the eBay stuff. Lots of good stuff but honestly more cheaper Chinese junk than good stuff..

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
Trust me I know how expensive it is. Bought my truck and dumped about 8 grand to do everything I wanted...lol all done in three days.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As much as I enjoy reading all your informative suggestions, MY original question mainly wanted to know if 20X12 -24 with 295X60 can clear with only the Bils @ 2.1” or do I need to jack it up to 2.8” and add a 3/4” spacer to the rear coil to keep it level. Again, please keep in mind I do not go off road. Thanks.

Okay replacing the struts and UCA makes sense due to your miles, good idea.
Yes the 295/60R20 tires will fit just fine with Bils. at 2.10, however that size tire has a max width wheel size of 10". The 12" wide wheel is wider than the overall tire width of 11.77, the tread width is probably closer to 9" wide. I personally would go with the 10" wide wheels or just use stock wheels for now and then...."IF".....you go with a lift later then get the 20x12's with a wider tire. I wouldn't go 12" wide without a larger lift.

OP
OP
S

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay replacing the struts and UCA makes sense due to your miles, good idea.
Yes the 295/60R20 tires will fit just fine with Bils. at 2.10, however that size tire has a max width wheel size of 10". The 12" wide wheel is wider than the overall tire width of 11.77, the tread width is probably closer to 9" wide. I personally would go with the 10" wide wheels or just use stock wheels for now and then...."IF".....you go with a lift later then get the 20x12's with a wider tire. I wouldn't go 12" wide without a larger lift.

Agreed.. the new rim I am getting is 20X10 -24. I want to be safe so 20X12 -44 will not be considered for this leveling build. The 20X10 Mavericks will still provide me with a 4" lip which is exactly what I am looking for.

I dont think they make fake Bilstein, so getting them from a reputable dealer from Ebay should be OK. I will make sure the tie rod ends are good enough to install once it delivered to my door step.

I just received another tire from this seller on Ebay: safetiresatl the condition received exceeded my expectation. I bought 1 Nitto Terra Grappler from them and it has 10/32"+ of tread on it. Only paid $130 for a $300+ tire. Money well spent. (I needed a spare).

OP
OP
S

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Trust me I know how expensive it is. Bought my truck and dumped about 8 grand to do everything I wanted...lol all done in three days.

Wow, deep pocket. I cant justify a 8 grand lift if I dont go off-road. $3,000 is my max (Including tires). I guess my application nor my wife will allow that kind of expenses. I applied for a reward credit card which gives me 100000 points with $2000 spent. I will at least get a few nights of hotels with this. It should calm my wife down just a little. :roflsquared:

RoadRamblerNJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Just my .02, but I find the piece meal projects tend to cost more in the long run when you run into things that don't work with the added changes later on, honestly I would save to the mod budget till you have the $$$ to do it all at once, that way you are not set with having wheels that work on a level but later find out they conflict with the 6" lift.... or if what you want on a 6" set wont work and you compromise just to get wheels.... Get what you want or you will not be happy with it and spend more later to change it. again thats just my .02 from my experience of wasting tens of thousands on cars throughout my life
I agree 100% w/ R/T_Fire. A few other thoughts from a life long wrench turner inlcude...1) Life throws you curveballs, 2) unseen opportunities arise that require that money you put into temp parts and 3) Sometimes you just change your damn mind 2 years in. Good luck with the build.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you sir for your reply, I do agree with all 3 points 100%, thats why I dont want to throw $4000 at it all at once.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just compromise. Get the Bilsteins, set at 2.8”.
Get the appropriate wheels and tires later when you can. Something with 295/65-20 tires.
Call it a day and just enjoy your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

sunkiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just compromise. Get the Bilsteins, set at 2.8”.
Get the appropriate wheels and tires later when you can. Something with 295/65-20 tires.
Call it a day and just enjoy your truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I reserve to set it at 2.8 for the following reasons.

1: many complained with noises when 4X4 engaged.
2: I will need to add a spacer in the rear to make it level, dont want to do it as the spacer at the back is not reusable if I jack it up with the 6” kit
3: It creates larger gaps in the wheel well with the tires that I have already purchased, 295X60R20