Maxtrac Shocks vs Billstein Shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys,

Looking at their 7" lift and was wondering if the Billsteins are worth the extra money in regards to a ride closest to or exceeding OEM? Is it worth the couple extra hundred bucks?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
My opinion, yes. Shocks are one of the biggest things that actually control the ride of your truck. The shocks that most lift companies provide are a standard white body shock with their sticker put on them. So essentially they'll give you a very similar ride to stock. Bilsteins will give you a better ride quality than stock keeping everything feeling more controlled and less bouncy if that makes sense. They should also last longer than the generic shocks.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Bilstein always unless you like replacing. They will outlast all others in my opinion.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Bilstein's that Maxtrac sells in their kit will work. They are some shocks that are specific to Maxtrac and they will be fine for a 2wd. They're just not adjustable. I would highly recommend the Bilstein's over the Maxtrac shocks. No offense to Maxtrac or anyone who has their shocks but they are just a cheap twin tube design that is basically just like stock except longer. The Bills are monotube and are much better.

OP
OP
Steen

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got it. That's the consensus.. the Bilstein's are better everywhere I'm seeing. Just wanted to get confirmation from people who knew. Thanks guys...

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Post back pics after install :)

OP
OP
Steen

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Post back pics after install :)

Will do Graygoose. Just bought the kit online.. they are offering 10% at checkout right now which was a nice little surprise. Now trying to decide on wheels/tires. Don't know whether to stay on 33's and if they would look too small, or move up to 35's?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Will do Graygoose. Just bought the kit online.. they are offering 10% at checkout right now which was a nice little surprise. Now trying to decide on wheels/tires. Don't know whether to stay on 33's and if they would look too small, or move up to 35's?

35's IMHO....will look great! Didn't kill mileage on mine, and the looks are way better now :D

OP
OP
Steen

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
35's IMHO....will look great! Didn't kill mileage on mine, and the looks are way better now :D

10-4.. I'm leaning towards RBP AK-8 67RMB's with a 0+ offset in a 20x9 wrapped in some Nitto G2's in 35x12.50-20's. Best price I found is with Mr. Wheel Deal at $2368 mounted, balanced and shipped. Any other suggested companies for wheel/tire packages? Probably shouldn't be getting off topic here.. but everyone likes to save money right? LOL

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
That sounds pretty good to me $$

BiroRamRT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys,

Looking at their 7" lift and was wondering if the Billsteins are worth the extra money in regards to a ride closest to or exceeding OEM? Is it worth the couple extra hundred bucks?

I've had both. If you can afford the bilsteins get those. Maxtrac shocks are trash. I have them now and i'm changing back to bilsteins or fox.