More Lift Qs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Hey guys. This is my first post on this site. I just baught a 2011 Ram Outdoorsman. I previously had a 1999 Dakota R/T. I have a few lift questions that I have not been able to find the answers to. I think I have read through every post in the lifted section to try and learn as much as possible before I ask any questions.

It seems that everyone recomends a 6" lift. I looked at the 6" lifts that are recomended. Some good stuff out there. Anyway I was wondering if there is a lift that I could run my factory wheels and tires on? Most of them say you cant use factory wheels. I also do not want to buy rims and tires yet.

Also I am just looking for a little higher. 6" might be too much. I am not going to be doing any serious off roading, just wanting to lift her up alittle bit. i have to be able to still get my dirt bike in the back. I have seen the 4" kits available, but everyone is saying go 6" and not 4". Is there a particular reason for this other then the 6" is only a little more money?

Anyway I look forward to being a part of the community here.

Rob

durango4819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
welcome to RF. I had an 01 Dakota R/T i traded in for my Ram. What size rims does your truck have? Im pretty sure guys on here run their stock rims on lifts with wheel spacers because of the offset on a stock rim. You can always run a leveling kit if you dont want to lift your truck too high. My truck has a 2.5''/.75'' leveling kit and sits nice. My beds still easy too load up. Im sure more guys with lifts will chime in soon.

OP
OP
S

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
I have the 17 inch wheels. I have heard that wheel spacers can cause premature wheel bearing failures. Where did you get you leveling kit and what is included. That may be the place to start and then down the road lift if I feel like I want to go higher.
Rob

ramhunter9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
P-Star Jeep Wrangler
You do not need anything like spacers ect to run a lift on stock tires . You can lift the truck to the moon and still run stock tires .

Now , If you are wanting to run stock tires for now just level it or throw on a 3 inch lift . Any higher in lift will make the stock tires look small and weird .

Guys say 6" because the bigger the better . Myself and others started with 3" 4" 5" ect lifts ... WE always go bigger its a addiction . So that is why you read threads saying just go 6" so you only have to do it once .

But like I said with stock tires "size" you dont want to go over 3" in lift or it will look odd

I would recommend with stock tires just level for now .

And again ... you dont need anything like spacers ect to run stocks on a lift .

Welcome to RF

durango4819

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 V8
I have the 17 inch wheels. I have heard that wheel spacers can cause premature wheel bearing failures. Where did you get you leveling kit and what is included. That may be the place to start and then down the road lift if I feel like I want to go higher.
Rob
Dodge Suspension Lift Kits

i have the first one. i think you have the same rims my truck had stock. I did leveling kit, exhaust, and bigger tires all at the same time, first mods on my truck.

Musclemckeester

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Like mentioned above, I started out thinking a level might be enough for me but no 3 months later traded it in for a 6" Pro Comp. 4" vs. 6" - you have more options with a 6" - you can run 35s or 37s. You can put a body lift and run 38s if you really wanted to. I almost got a 4" lift, in fact I actually had it on order from the dealer. A few days went by (it was on backorder) and I called and canceled it. Thought about it some more and went with a 6" and I must say I'm very happy I did. Going higher is an addiction. Perhaps you should start out with a level, see how you like it. If you want more, go for a 6".

As far as running stock wheels on a lift - that depends on the lift. Some of the factory rims will work, but you will have to check with the lift company before you buy. If you get bigger tires on stock rims that's when it can get 50/50. I know to run my 12.2" wide Trail Grapplers on my factory 20s with 6" lift I had to run a spacer. With 17s though you may be ok. I would ask the question when you decide on a particular brand of lift. That may also help you to make your decision on who to go with too.

The Assassin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The stock tires are roughly 33" tall. If you don't want to run a 4 or 6", as suggested, get yourself a nice leveling kit, or even a body lift, and run some 35" tires.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The lifted guys got you striaght, welcome to the forum bud. Post pics of your ride and an intro thread in the intro section for us to get to know ya.

OP
OP
S

shipmasta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
Thanks guys for the responces. Do any of you with lifts ride dirt bikes? If so is it difficult loading bikes in the back? I may look into a 4 or 6 if loading bikes is not super hard. I also don't want to have to buy tires and wheels yet. If I can sell the stock tires for enough money I may buy 35s.

jasonLmarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks guys for the responces. Do any of you with lifts ride dirt bikes? If so is it difficult loading bikes in the back? I may look into a 4 or 6 if loading bikes is not super hard. I also don't want to have to buy tires and wheels yet. If I can sell the stock tires for enough money I may buy 35s.
Yes, it's a PITA! It really takes 2 people.