My bilstein/mevotech review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick review (sorry no pictures)

I have zero auto mechanic experience and I did this all myself. Set the Bilsteins at 2.8 and installed mevotech ucas as well.

INSTALL: just used basic hand tools and an electric impact. And I rented a spring compressor from autozone. Total time for install was 8 hours but literally half that time was spent trying to get the upper shock nut off. They were so rusted and the metal seemed super soft. Anyway, other than that, it was easy. I used the link below for step by step instructions. Great video!

http://youtu.be/GpLJIln6VBA

I don't really have any tips. The video explains it all. Oh... Don't buy a torque wrench from harbor freight. I bought one for this project and it broke after tightening 5 bolts. Pure junk.

RESULTS: Awesome! At 2.8, my front is .5 inches higher than the rear but to the eye, it looks perfectly level. I will be adding air bags to the rear springs to help with towing.

The truck rides better than stock. Smoother. Handles bumps better. Steering seems more responsive. And ZERO wobble in 4 lock or low. Very satisfied. If you are wanting to do this, don't hesitate. It's easy and makes the truck better in every way.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Awesome! I ordered my new wheels; next is going to be the level. Which mevotech's did you go with? Rock Auto lists a "supreme" "forged" UCA for a few bucks more which I'd assume is a bit better than the standard Mevotech replacements.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great to hear , glad to read your post Sir .
I installed my bilsteins & Mevotecs about 8k ago , still rides better than stock and still very happy with the install .

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used the following mevotechs from parts geek.com

CMS251058 and CMS251057

They fit perfectly. I haven't greased them yet tho. I don't have a grease gun. Any suggestions on a gun or type of grease?

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
what does the mevotch ucas give you? More clearance? More travel?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
what does the mevotch ucas give you? More clearance? More travel?
Overall stonger than stock UCA , and most importantly a Greasable & stronger upper ball joint .

Some oem upper ball joints separate when leveled / lifted or just 4 wheeling on the 2013 + Ram's . 2012 & older do not have this issue due to a design change in 13.
Hope this helps !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

CMS251058 and CMS251057

They fit perfectly. I haven't greased them yet tho. I don't have a grease gun. Any suggestions on a gun or type of grease?
Fwiw , for those who do not know . Once you receive the Mevotec UCAs keep them identified as the -57 being the drivers side & the -58 passengers side . They rust pretty quick so prime & paint your desired color . I used VHT Chassis paint with primer from Advance Auto parts, so far so good @ aprox 8k miles.

If you get them mixed up ( they can be installed improperly.
Just remember the longer sweeping arm of the uca goes fwd .

Drivers side pic .

0be570dcf6b92ab8c887105ba4b22d3b.jpg
Passengers side.
7ac846e53cd7bcc58f0b8635b3918f60.jpg

Hope this helps someone !

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Exactly. I didn't want to risk having a ball joint pop out. It was less than $100 shipped for the ucas. And they do seem way stronger than the factory ones.

BigDogg795

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

CMS251058 and CMS251057

Ok cool, those are the ones I have in my shopping cart now lol. I gotta order them this week along with the bilsteins.

Fwiw , for those who do not know . Once you receive the Mevotec UCAs keep them identified as the -57 being the drivers side & the -58 passengers side . They rust pretty quick so prime & paint your desired color . I used VHT Chassis paint with primer from Advance Auto parts, so far so good @ aprox 8k miles.

If you get them mixed up ( they can be installed improperly.
Just remember the longer sweeping arm of the uca goes fwd .

Drivers side pic .

0be570dcf6b92ab8c887105ba4b22d3b.jpg
Passengers side.
7ac846e53cd7bcc58f0b8635b3918f60.jpg

Hope this helps someone !

Appreciate the heads up; I'll still probably have a professional do it for me just because I lack the tools and work space. I figure I'll be hit for another $300 but at least if something goes wrong I have someone to yell at lol. I'll take your advice though and paint them first.

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
thanks guys. Think i will do quick lifts and these ucas. I had billies on my f150 and i hated how stiff they were... Terrible in the bush, but to each their own.. Thanks again.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
One truck brand to another must be a huge difference for the Bilstien's , for Ram the Bilsteins 5100 are like a Cadillac & better than the stock ride ( which was really good imo .
I think it's apples and oranges when comparing similar products from one truck brand to another , especially suspension type parts .

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Exactly. I didn't want to risk having a ball joint pop out. It was less than $100 shipped for the ucas. And they do seem way stronger than the factory ones.
Cheep insurance $ $ for the 2013+ Ram's imo.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok cool, those are the ones I have in my shopping cart now lol. I gotta order them this week along with the bilsteins.

Appreciate the heads up; I'll still probably have a professional do it for me just because I lack the tools and work space. I figure I'll be hit for another $300 but at least if something goes wrong I have someone to yell at lol. I'll take your advice though and paint them first.
Even if you have a "professional " do it make sure they arn't complacent , many Bilstien's 5100 installs have been put on improperly by the so called " professionals " mainly the orientation of the lower spring seat and the #1 issue the " professionals " seem to screw up is the washer placement UNDER the upper assy .

Picture of the lower spring seat .

80019c9a6b3c97eceaabef87fec8f8e3.jpg

A link to an informative post with lots of helpful tips for the DIYer and it covers the proper washer placement as well .
If the link doesn't take you right to it , it's post # 26 .
Hope this helps out someone ...

https://tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=...&share_tid=79370&share_fid=17770&share_type=t

Alright guys.. BILSTEINS post your pics!!!

Last edited:

lukedukem

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Quick review (sorry no pictures)

I have zero auto mechanic experience and I did this all myself. Set the Bilsteins at 2.8 and installed mevotech ucas as well.

INSTALL: just used basic hand tools and an electric impact. And I rented a spring compressor from autozone. Total time for install was 8 hours but literally half that time was spent trying to get the upper shock nut off. They were so rusted and the metal seemed super soft. Anyway, other than that, it was easy. I used the link below for step by step instructions. Great video!

http://youtu.be/GpLJIln6VBA

I don't really have any tips. The video explains it all. Oh... Don't buy a torque wrench from harbor freight. I bought one for this project and it broke after tightening 5 bolts. Pure junk.

RESULTS: Awesome! At 2.8, my front is .5 inches higher than the rear but to the eye, it looks perfectly level. I will be adding air bags to the rear springs to help with towing.

The truck rides better than stock. Smoother. Handles bumps better. Steering seems more responsive. And ZERO wobble in 4 lock or low. Very satisfied. If you are wanting to do this, don't hesitate. It's easy and makes the truck better in every way.

Which airbags are you going with for the rear?

Luke

OP
OP
Hawki1cr

Hawki1cr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking about the airlift 1000. Seems like it will help with sag. I'm also thinking of adding a 1" spacer to the rear springs. However, I need to do more research because 1) I don't know if airlift 1000 and rear coil spacers can be done together
2) all the rear spacer kits I've seen are $100+ which I can't understand why two metal discs are the same price as a complete Bilstein shock.