My level story

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So to start off I ordered a HBS 2.5" level kit. After installed I achieved 2.5 inches. Does what it says. However ride quality in these rams goes to complete **** with a spacer. I stand corrected on all my past comments about spacers. Needless to say I am a proud owner of a bilstein leveled ram(set at 2.1"). I went with 2.1 because I don't want to lift he back and I'd like slight rake for the times I do tow. Now let's get to ride quality. The ride is slightly more firm and when you do hit bumps the truck settles a lot faster the. The OEM shocks. I still think the stock shocks gave the truck a more comfortable ride obviously my opinion. Long story short if your in the market to level your ram just go for the bilstein shocks. I tried saving money with the spacers and lost so much ride quality it wasn't even funny. Pics coming soon.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I know there will be plenty of people that disagree, but any suspension modifications I have ever done have made for a worse ride, lifting or lowering. It is all designed to be more performance oriented which means stiff and rough. Except for a 1996 mustang gt I had air-ride on. It rode better at the right psi setting on the bags than on stock springs but that's because it was built to handle good in the first place.

OP
OP
S

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No doubt it's not as comfortable as stock. It like I said it feels like it stabilizes faster and feels more controlled going around turns. One of those things that's hard to explain. Overall very pleased with the bilsteins vs. the spacers

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Been my experience also that any lift/level is always a trade off to some degree of comfort.

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know there will be plenty of people that disagree, but any suspension modifications I have ever done have made for a worse ride, lifting or lowering.

Been my experience also that any lift/level is always a trade off to some degree of comfort.

Yep and yup.

I've had trucks bigger than my ram and cars that could barely pull into the driveway without rippin the front bumper off.

Ride comfort is usually sacrificed.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i agree that any changes are going to not be as nice as stock since stock was designed to be a smooth ride. However i had 2" hbs spacers on my 2011 and now have bilsteins set at 2.1 on my 2016 and the ride quality doesn't feel vastly different to me.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So to start off I ordered a HBS 2.5" level kit. After installed I achieved 2.5 inches. Does what it says. However ride quality in these rams goes to complete **** with a spacer. I stand corrected on all my past comments about spacers. Needless to say I am a proud owner of a bilstein leveled ram(set at 2.1"). I went with 2.1 because I don't want to lift he back and I'd like slight rake for the times I do tow. Now let's get to ride quality. The ride is slightly more firm and when you do hit bumps the truck settles a lot faster the. The OEM shocks. I still think the stock shocks gave the truck a more comfortable ride obviously my opinion. Long story short if your in the market to level your ram just go for the bilstein shocks. I tried saving money with the spacers and lost so much ride quality it wasn't even funny. Pics coming soon.
I agree with this assessment 100% as I just went through this process as well but fortunately for me I went straight to the Bilsteins because of the great info I get on this forum.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried being cheap and I'm stubborn. Should of listened to the info from everyone on here.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
all very strange, my 6" feels like I'm riding on clouds. Better than stock ever was!

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all very strange, my 6" feels like I'm riding on clouds. Better than stock ever was!
Maybe it was the tires and not the Bilsteins?

I bought new tires before I bought my Bilsteins they made a huge difference.

yillbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Maybe it was the tires and not the Bilsteins?

I bought new tires before I bought my Bilsteins they made a huge difference.

Naw, i'm not saying him, or anyone else is " wrong ", imo, when it comes to suspension, it's impossible to have a right or wrong answer. It's 100% based on preference.

mh3c

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed the maxtrac 2.5 level two-piece kit and it rides like stock. Maybe it's QUALITY of spacer???

OP
OP
S

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Idk my truck is a 10' with 60k miles. I don't know how long these stock shocks are supposed to last. Maybe new shocks with a spacer rides nice. Who knows....

BAMF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Installed the maxtrac 2.5 level two-piece kit and it rides like stock. Maybe it's QUALITY of spacer???
What size tires are you running with a maxtrac 2.5?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

brianw0048

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
no pics? i'm on the fence about bilsteins at the moment.

OP
OP
S

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't figure out how to add pics from my phone. And my computer is currently not working

norville

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just wondering this as I have an outdoorsmans with the 5.7 and heavy duty shocks. It's stiff now with the stock shocks, I'm really torn on wether to go with the Bils or just add spacers.

I have about 60k on the stock shocks. I do tow often so I know I need the stiffer suspension. I'm not clear if the Bilsteins will be comparable to stock heavy duty shocks? I have no comparison to stock regular duty shocks..

OP
OP
S

Scgirardi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
a84730908d656c4eaca740a9752dbd6e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk