Need wheel/tire/lift advice on 2015 1500 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JD522

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello. This is my first post. I know almost nothing about wheels, tires and lifts. I have been reading past threads. The information is very spread out. I am hoping someone can give me information and advice on how to proceed with upgrades specific to my truck.

I recently bought a 2015 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7L 4x4 Crew Cab with 6'4" bed and 3.92. The original window sticker (retrieved online) says the truck would have had "20-Inch x 8.0-Inch Aluminum Chrome Clad Wheels". While looking at my tires just now, I realized my wheels are plain with a plastic chrome colored cover. Is that what is meant by the "chrome clad" listed on the window sticker? Or, have my wheels been swapped? If they are not the original wheels, have no idea how wide they are.

I have 275/60 tires. An online tire size converter says the tires are roughly 33" x 10.8" and equivalent to 33x12.50 tires. How is that?

Anyway, my goal is to get a lift and larger tires. At first, I was thinking 35" tires. But, that doesn't seem much larger than what I have now. It doesn't seem like 36" is a common size. So, the next size up would be 37". If I read other threads correctly, a 4" lift is not enough for 37s. Why is that? The tire would only stick up 2" more than the existing tire and I would be raising the truck 4".

I read conflicting information about whether 6" lifts cause more wear on a truck than 4. Is that true? If so, why?

Do lifts void my manufacturer warranty?

Would going from my current tire to a 37" tire necessitate a change to 3.92 gearing?

Back to the rims... I will want new rims, particularly if they are only 8" wide, because all of the 35" and 37" tires I see require a wider rim. Are there any aspects of rims to look out for? For example, will all rims support carrying weight in the bed and be okay with jarring off-road environments?

Sorry for all of the questions. I just want to learn as much as I can before I do anything. I think the first step is to replace the rims and get something that can support larger tires.