Noise after lifting 2016 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Alright so I bought my ram brand new, it's a 2016 ram 1500 lone star ecodiesel 4x4. At 2500 miles I lifted it 4" with the zone 4/3 lift and bilsteins front and rear set at 1.4 in the front. After installation st the shop my front differential immediately began making noise and I had popping noises when turning and squeaks all the time. I since put fox 2.5 coilovers on the front with the zone uca's which solved the squeaking and popping noises when turning. But I'm 15,000 miles and a year later and my differential still makes noise when accelerating. I went to a shop that told me it's the front driveshaft angle but it still makes the noise with the front driveshaft removed. However it doesn't make a peep when 4x4 is engaged. It sounds to me like bearings but I can't figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks for any advice or help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Well with roughly 100 people viewing this and no one chiming in this doesn't sound good?

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you jack it up and spin the wheels to try and pin point? That's odd that it only makes the noise in 2x4 but not in 4x4.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd be suspect of a hub, especially if it stops when 4x4 is engaged. That increased angle can bring out all kinds of hidden imperfections that otherwise wouldn't show up until it's too late. The increased load when the hubs are engaged could be enough to shut it up.

The diff- maybe, but those things are tank-tough. Could be where the shaft goes into the diff (cant remember what thats called?) Again, when you change those angles like that, it can bring all kinds of out of spec items to the surface.

Full disclaimer- I am simply a farmer/ tinkerer, but that's my best uneducated guess.

In your shoes, I'd start on the outside and work my way in. That's the easiest.

EDIT: can you compare the shaft angles on yours to one with no lift to see if anything has drastically changed?

EDIT 2: did the fore and aft rotation of your front diff change??

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Can you jack it up and spin the wheels to try and pin point? That's odd that it only makes the noise in 2x4 but not in 4x4.

I have jacked it up and it seems like it is on the driver side, and on the differential end of things. But it's hard to tell for sure

OP
OP
O

oldstyle17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I'd be suspect of a hub, especially if it stops when 4x4 is engaged. That increased angle can bring out all kinds of hidden imperfections that otherwise wouldn't show up until it's too late. The increased load when the hubs are engaged could be enough to shut it up.

The diff- maybe, but those things are tank-tough. Could be where the shaft goes into the diff (cant remember what thats called?) Again, when you change those angles like that, it can bring all kinds of out of spec items to the surface.

Full disclaimer- I am simply a farmer/ tinkerer, but that's my best uneducated guess.

In your shoes, I'd start on the outside and work my way in. That's the easiest.

EDIT: can you compare the shaft angles on yours to one with no lift to see if anything has drastically changed?

EDIT 2: did the fore and aft rotation of your front diff change??

I e considered the hub but I just can't imagine after 2500 miles it would begin making noise and then after another 15,000 miles still be the same and not really have gotten any worse. The other issue is when I went to Chrysler to buy just a cv half shaft they told me the only way to get any parts associated with the diff is to buy a complete new diff with all shafts already installed in it. I will check out one that is stock height and compare the front driveshaft angles and I'm not sure what you mean by fire and aft rotation of the shaft.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I e considered the hub but I just can't imagine after 2500 miles it would begin making noise and then after another 15,000 miles still be the same and not really have gotten any worse. The other issue is when I went to Chrysler to buy just a cv half shaft they told me the only way to get any parts associated with the diff is to buy a complete new diff with all shafts already installed in it. I will check out one that is stock height and compare the front driveshaft angles and I'm not sure what you mean by fire and aft rotation of the shaft.

Yeah it's really tough to make an educated guess. My kids Sport Trac had a hub that whined and growled for 10000km before it gave way.

What I mean by fore and aft is did the diff rotate either forwards or backwards any? They have a relocation kit if memory serves and maybe it's out of spec? Just ***********...