Official "Coilover/Mid-travel/Long-travel" thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimmy_K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm noticing in the lifted section that there is very little talk about people who've done either a coilover/mid-travel kit or full off long-travel. I understand that it's not very common to do on a Ram but I'd be very interested to see anybodys setup and what they think of it. Below are all of the kits I could find on the net.

Coilover Options-

211000 2009 - Current Dodge 1500 4WD Coil-Over Kit - ICON Vehicle Dynamics

https://www.filthymotorsports.com/King_OEM_RAM_1500_Shocks_p/king-25001-207.htm

https://www.thurenfabrication.com/products/thuren-ram-1500-kings.html

(Thuren Fab is essentially a custom valved set of king coilovers)

https://bilsteinlifts.com/shop/unca...MIneSA-qXk1QIVB2p-Ch2MhAkXEAQYASABEgLVAPD_BwE

(Note that the fox coilovers are also available with remote reservoirs)

That's about all I can find for coilovers. Feel free to PM me links to any that I've missed.

Mid/Long travel-

2009 - Pres. RAM 1500

(Note that Pure offers 3 different COMPLETE kits, including the front and rear shocks. Also note however that the info on their site is very limited, but after doing some research I've found that this kit does require cutting the stock shock towers and welding in a shock hoop.)

Ram 1500 Long Travel Kit

(Note that this is a bare bones kit, no shocks, no axles etc. The cost of the kit with shocks and a swaybar but WITHOUT C.V's is 4,685. You can send your stock axles in for 120$ to be machined, or purchase chromoly shafts for 649$. This kit includes the front ONLY, however it is a complete bolt-on kit with no welding required for 4x4 trucks, unlike the Pure kit.)

https://gorracing.com/products/prerunner-suspension-kit

(Note that this kit is a bare bones kit with options for a complete kit. Completely optioned out this kit can hit almost 13k! With that being said however, this is the most serious kit and as far as the rear suspension goes it is unmatched. For 4,689 you get the bare kit with a bedcage and mounting kit front and rear. For an extra 3,100 you can make this a bolt-on kit. Keep in mind this kit has a bedcage and will require cutting the bed.)

If I've missed anything, feel free to P.M. me and I'll add it to the thread. Cheers! :favorites13:

Daldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe that Pro-Comp also offers a 6" coilover setup. I believe I have seen somebody on here running that lift but cranked the coils up to 8.5".

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm running the Thuren Kings but not long travel.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Filthy Motorsports Makes custom kings as well. Any length, and valving. Thats what I'm running. I suppose it could be considered "mid travel" with my setup.

6" superlift zone ucas custom length/valved kings

Daldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Filthy Motorsports Makes custom kings as well. Any length, and valving. Thats what I'm running. I suppose it could be considered "mid travel" with my setup.

6" superlift zone ucas custom length/valved kings

So here's my dilemma:

I want to know what company provides the largest diff drop with their 6" kit so if I do something like this, but with 8" coilovers I won't be binding things up too bad. I would prefer doing this over buying the BDS kit with Fox Coils and cranking the coils up to 8", and I could potentially save some major money doing it this way, oddly enough.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So here's my dilemma:

I want to know what company provides the largest diff drop with their 6" kit so if I do something like this, but with 8" coilovers I won't be binding things up too bad. I would prefer doing this over buying the BDS kit with Fox Coils and cranking the coils up to 8", and I could potentially save some major money doing it this way, oddly enough.

im not sure honestly. Id say zone or bds. Unless you go with something like Bulletproof suspension. My setup binds at full droop. I was going to get custom RCV cv shafts but i got a deal on a set of used kore high angle joint cv shafts. We will see soon if they still bind.

Daldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
im not sure honestly. Id say zone or bds. Unless you go with something like Bulletproof suspension. My setup binds at full droop. I was going to get custom RCV cv shafts but i got a deal on a set of used kore high angle joint cv shafts. We will see soon if they still bind.

Does Bulletproof make a kit for our application? I've already spoken with Cognito and they don't offer anything.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Does Bulletproof make a kit for our application? I've already spoken with Cognito and they don't offer anything.
Email them. I believe they have made a kit or two. There is a post somewhere on here about them. They were supposed to go into production but I feel like they never update their website.

But they aren't really considered mid travel or long travel. More like too high of a lift show truck status there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Daldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Email them. I believe they have made a kit or two. There is a post somewhere on here about them. They were supposed to go into production but I feel like they never update their website.

But they aren't really considered mid travel or long travel. More like too high of a lift show truck status there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I'm just trying to achieve 8-10" of lift without having to go with a body lift. I know Full Throttle makes an 8", but I've heard some horror stories. This will be my daily still and will never see major offroading, I've got my SAS'd '96 Chevy for that.

Oddity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worth noting that any "Long Travel" kits will likely require new fenders as well, as the track is usually increased on the front wheels

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Rams with front fiberglass fenders and the ram air fiberglass hood look **** imo and hell the fiberglass fenders are the same price as the bushwhacked flares. If I ever run a offset wheel that shoves the tire out I am going to prolly go to fiberglass front fenders