Opinions, please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GRB60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
I'm a new member and first time pickup owner. My truck is a 2017 Laramie 1500 Crew Cab.
I have a set of Bilsteins on the way and need help deciding how much to lift it. I plan to leave the rear at stock height, also with Bilsteins. My current rake seems to be less than many have had (I DID read the 55 page thread about this topic). It measures 37" in front and 39" in back at present. Should I consider going with one level lower than the 2.1" setting on the new shocks?
Thanks for your input!
Greg

2014greatwhite

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm a new member and first time pickup owner. My truck is a 2017 Laramie 1500 Crew Cab.

I have a set of Bilsteins on the way and need help deciding how much to lift it. I plan to leave the rear at stock height, also with Bilsteins. My current rake seems to be less than many have had (I DID read the 55 page thread about this topic). It measures 37" in front and 39" in back at present. Should I consider going with one level lower than the 2.1" setting on the new shocks?

Thanks for your input!

Greg

I'm no expert but my thought would be go with 2.1 setting. That should have you damn close to level. Hopefully someone with a Laramie responds to that has more experience with this. On my express I was set at 2.8 and level with nothing in the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Depends on what you like. I had in excess of 2.5" of rake and when I had my Bils installed @ 2.1" it looked a smidge nose high so I wound up tossing 1" spacers in the rear. Rams tend to look a little more nose high then they measure due to the style/design of the truck. The tape measure confirmed I still had rake but I perceived it to look nose high......

If your measurements are accurate, it will probably look nose high @ 2.1". Are you planning to run larger tires or just want the front up a bit?

OP
OP
G

GRB60

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 e-torque
Depends on what you like. I had in excess of 2.5" of rake and when I had my Bils installed @ 2.1" it looked a smidge nose high so I wound up tossing 1" spacers in the rear. Rams tend to look a little more nose high then they measure due to the style/design of the truck. The tape measure confirmed I still had rake but I perceived it to look nose high......

If your measurements are accurate, it will probably look nose high @ 2.1". Are you planning to run larger tires or just want the front up a bit?

No plans to run bigger wheels or raise the rear. I'm doing this for aesthetics and the improved ride the Bilsteins will provide. I had the same thought as you. I may go with the middle setting, then.
Thanks.

bryan28

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm getting a lift that includes Bilsteins on mine and setting it on a lower setting (.7) in hopes it will still fit in the garage but otherwise I would still set it on a slightly less than level setting and leave some rake in case I towed something. I would want it to level when towing as opposed to looking nose high.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No plans to run bigger wheels or raise the rear. I'm doing this for aesthetics and the improved ride the Bilsteins will provide. I had the same thought as you. I may go with the middle setting, then.
Thanks.

Sound plan. Great thing about the 5100's is you can always adjust them later. And FWIW, they'll probably ride better @1.4". 2.1" was not what I'd call harsh by stretch of the imagination, ride and handling was sporty compared to stock, but when I lowered them to .7" when my 4" lift was installed, I sure noticed a smidge softer ride, and that is not a knock.