Which package is a good platform to build on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Icejob8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
If your offloading those painted bumpers will look like crap real quick

Mine is a '10, and while I don't off-road a lot, my bumpers look great. Granted the extent of my off-roading is limited to hunting spots, back woods campsites etc.
It just seems like so many guys buy trucks with chrome grills and almost immediately paint them, dip them or flat out replace them.

Icejob8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine is a '10, and while I don't off-road a lot, my bumpers look great. Granted the extent of my off-roading is limited to hunting spots, back woods campsites etc.
It just seems like so many guys buy trucks with chrome grills and almost immediately paint them, dip them or flat out replace them.

Sorry, meant to say chrome bumpers

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Meh, im old school. I like chrome bumpers, rims etc. If all these offroad bumpers came in Chrome some would look sweet.

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Meh, im old school. I like chrome bumpers, rims etc. If all these offroad bumpers came in Chrome some would look sweet.
Nah I never cared for chrome. Though most people probably expect me to

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey guys I'm a long time dodged lover. Own a 02 ram my next one will be a 4x4. The packages are kinda difficult to sort through am I right? I was curious which of the packages would be a good platform to build upon for someone who looking to do some off roading while still having a sturdy truck. The idea has always been to lift the new truck however if there's a truck with some of the things I should look for already it would make things easier right? Pretty much intend on building the anti pavement princess The dirt Duke your could call it!

At the risk of sounding trite: the one you can afford.
You want a Hemi and 4x4.
Regular cab, quad cab or crew cab?
Do you have to have dual exhaust or can you live with single?
Chrome bumpers, color matched or black plastic?
Do you want factory rims, or are you going lift and 'knobby mudders' right away and could live with steel wheels for a bit?
Do you want a center console or can you live with the fold down jump seat?
How much audio do you need from the factory? If you plan to add after market, maybe an AM/FM is all you need.

I think that lays out the decisions you need to make based on how much rattle you've got in your piggy bank.
:burnout:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
If your going to build a off-road truck you need a Express or a Outdoorsman other wise you will not be happy with the 44-44 transfer case that comes im the other models
Then get some seat covers.

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm glad I was browsing the forums today...I kind of wanted to ask a similar question, so here's my .02:

I have a '14 Sport CCSB. When I bought it it had all the goodies I wanted and none I didn't. I didn't want the air suspension, but heated and cooled leather seats are nice. Unfortunately though, I didn't know much about the transfer case debate that you've probably read about.

I had a rather embarrassing issue earlier this year when I couldn't get my truck up a wet grass hill. It had a load, but still the tires spun and then got stuck in my own freaking backyard. In 4 low. Wearing Cooper At3s. I was heated. So then I started reading about transfer cases, and got kind of mad. Wish I had locking front. I do some light offroading, but would like to do more overland type stuff. Now I'm wondering if that's even possible with this truck, or if I should upgrade. But I'm not made of money either, so....

Anyway, so far as offroad is concerned, 3.92s would have been nice. I have 3.21s, and while they don't leave me wanting on the road, the lower gear would be nice off the road. That's available though on the Sport I believe.

Also, if I ever seriously get busy building it, I'll have to replace the bumpers. They look nice, but they'd be beat to **** in no time of serious wheeling.

I'm going to make a decision before I pull the trigger on a lift.

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm glad I was browsing the forums today...I kind of wanted to ask a similar question, so here's my .02:

I have a '14 Sport CCSB. When I bought it it had all the goodies I wanted and none I didn't. I didn't want the air suspension, but heated and cooled leather seats are nice. Unfortunately though, I didn't know much about the transfer case debate that you've probably read about.

I had a rather embarrassing issue earlier this year when I couldn't get my truck up a wet grass hill. It had a load, but still the tires spun and then got stuck in my own freaking backyard. In 4 low. Wearing Cooper At3s. I was heated. So then I started reading about transfer cases, and got kind of mad. Wish I had locking front. I do some light offroading, but would like to do more overland type stuff. Now I'm wondering if that's even possible with this truck, or if I should upgrade. But I'm not made of money either, so....

Anyway, so far as offroad is concerned, 3.92s would have been nice. I have 3.21s, and while they don't leave me wanting on the road, the lower gear would be nice off the road. That's available though on the Sport I believe.

Also, if I ever seriously get busy building it, I'll have to replace the bumpers. They look nice, but they'd be beat to **** in no time of serious wheeling.

I'm going to make a decision before I pull the trigger on a lift.

If the intentions are to build an off-road capable truck, than anything with the 44-44 should be out of the question. The outdoorsman is the highest package you can get with the 44-45, and would be a good choice. Or you could always go to a 2500

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
If the intentions are to build an off-road capable truck, than anything with the 44-44 should be out of the question. The outdoorsman is the highest package you can get with the 44-45, and would be a good choice. Or you could always go to a 2500

Doesn't the outdoorsmen comes with a factory skid plate and a ram box option? I'll have to ask around and see i suppose powered and heated seats would be nice but aren't necessary

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Doesn't the outdoorsmen comes with a factory skid plate and a ram box option? I'll have to ask around and see i suppose powered and heated seats would be nice but aren't necessary

Outdoorsman comes with skids plates, tow hooks and the 44-45 transfer case. Min has heated power seats and steering wheel but doesn't have the Ram Boxes.
Even though 3.92 was supposed to be standard gearing, not all Outdoorsman have it. Some came with the off road tires others did not.

Jonesy86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Say no to chrome !!!

I went with the outdoorsman and added the express package to black everything out out and love it !!!

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
i'd start by not getting a 1500.i need more truck has been said by an h/d owner, never.and ifs sucks hard.i know,i've had both.

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Outdoorsman comes with skids plates, tow hooks and the 44-45 transfer case. Min has heated power seats and steering wheel but doesn't have the Ram Boxes.
Even though 3.92 was supposed to be standard gearing, not all Outdoorsman have it. Some came with the off road tires others did not.
Damn i thought for sure ram box was an outdoorsmen

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
Moot point it is would seem because they are no longer offering the outdoorsmen package

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Moot point it is would seem because they are no longer offering the outdoorsmen package

answered under the premises that you may be looking for a used vehicle. I know not everyone has, or is willing to spend the $$ to buy new.

OP
OP
Immortaldaul

Immortaldaul

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
answered under the premises that you may be looking for a used vehicle. I know not everyone has, or is willing to spend the $$ to buy new.
Sorry not looking atm but thinking about it bought used to in the past and it's been nothing but headaches fixes thing's gotta fix more stuff

nick84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Agree. Now if I'd only known that when I bought it. As for going up to the big brother....possible but pricey.

I would be curious to know if anyone has actually built a rig on the 44-44, and what they consider the limitations to be based on seeing how far it can be pushed.