Pro comp mid runner kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last edited:

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The control arms look good. And they're a bit lower priced than most out there. Which is very nice. But are new UCA's necessary? Depends on your driving. You will benefit greatly if you take your truck off road. The aftermarket UCA's are a lot stronger than stock and will help with your wheel travel. If your truck rarely sees a rough road then just think of them as insurance to guarantee you against having a balljoint issue. You could also get the UCA's off ebay too and save yourself a lot of money. They look about the same and also have a uniball instead of a balljoint.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Upper-Control-Arm-For-2-4-Lift-Dodge-Ram-1500-2011-2016-4WD-/271764387438?hash=item3f466b766e:g:CpwAAOSwOyJX9r-Z&vxp=mtr
I've been wondering about the quality of them for a while now!

A lot of people swear by the Bilstein shocks transforming their truck. But all they're doing is simply putting a new shock on and adjusting the preload of the stock coil spring. Which pretty much means stuffing a coil spring into a small box to obtain their lift. The ProComp shocks do the same thing, and they're also monotube shocks. So I suspect that they will provide a similar ride as the Bilstein shocks do. 4wheelparts.com usually has some good sales on ProComp. I'd definitely consider them over Bilstein if they had a good sale going on!
But there's always Fox. And they have a completely new coilover shock which gives you your lift.

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Conveniently enough my brother works for 4wheel parts and thy sell both the fox 2.0 as well as this kit. I saw this had the UCA for around the same price as the fox shocks. And it comes with new rear shocks as well. I guess I will give it a try and leave a review when the time comes for the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I set the lift to 1.5" would I be able to fit 35s comfortably? I would like to keep the forward rake some and not stiffen up the ride to much. 18x9 -12 offset

Last edited:
OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've emailed pro comp and this is their response
The level lift height of the Prorunner SS struts on that application is up to 2.75" in the lifted position. This will not change your overall track width with just installing the shocks. The max tire size is 35x12.50 with a 8 to 9.5" wide wheel with a 4 to 5" backspacing, using a wheel that is closer to the 4" backspacing will increase the trucks track width. Keep in mind with this application you must purchase upper control arms part number 61181 as the factory upper ball joint has the chance of popping out of position when the truck is level lifted. Thank you for contacting Pro Comp!
Thank you,
Pro Comp Customer Support Team
Online it shows a arms are included in the kit so I should be good to order.

Last edited:

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think others could chime in and give a more accurate answer....I think the stock wheel back spacing is more than 5". That makes your wheel tucked into the fender well more. So since they say you should use a 4-5" wheel backspacing, it makes me think the stock wheel or tire may come in contact with something. Possibly the new control arm??
So you could have a rubbing issue if you plan to keep the stock rims, even though they say a 35" tire will fit.
If that does happen, a option would be getting a wheel spacer that will make your tire stick out a little, thus giving you more clearance. I have no opinion on using them, other than they are a cheap fix. Some people say they're fine to use. Others say they cause problems in the long run.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well off the bat I'm keeping the factory tires. Which I believe I have the 20x9s with 33x11 tires. When I do swap tires im going to get Mickey Thompsons with 18x9 -12offset

Pollock21

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The control arms look good. And they're a bit lower priced than most out there. Which is very nice. But are new UCA's necessary? Depends on your driving. You will benefit greatly if you take your truck off road. The aftermarket UCA's are a lot stronger than stock and will help with your wheel travel. If your truck rarely sees a rough road then just think of them as insurance to guarantee you against having a balljoint issue. You could also get the UCA's off ebay too and save yourself a lot of money. They look about the same and also have a uniball instead of a balljoint.

Silver Upper Control Arm For 2-4" Lift Dodge Ram 1500 2011-2016 4WD | eBay
I've been wondering about the quality of them for a while now!

A lot of people swear by the Bilstein shocks transforming their truck. But all they're doing is simply putting a new shock on and adjusting the preload of the stock coil spring. Which pretty much means stuffing a coil spring into a small box to obtain their lift. The ProComp shocks do the same thing, and they're also monotube shocks. So I suspect that they will provide a similar ride as the Bilstein shocks do. 4wheelparts.com usually has some good sales on ProComp. I'd definitely consider them over Bilstein if they had a good sale going on!
But there's always Fox. And they have a completely new coilover shock which gives you your lift.

Personally I'd stay away from uniball. Had a set of uniball UCA's on my old truck and as far as performance, no issues. But you have to keep them lubed up or they will get crazy noisy. Super annoying squeaks and creeks all the time. After a while dirt finds it's way in and the squeak seems to there no matter what you do. I could get it to go away for a bit by pressure washing the uniball from the top and bottom, waiting to dry and adding dry lube, but it comes back. It always comes back!

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good to know. I usually keep all the ball joints and u-joints well greased on my old truck so that won't be a problem.

NattyLight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI, Pro Comp part number 61181 is a set of Mevotech control arms branded for Pro Comp.

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Natty that's kinda funny. Good to know. Thank you

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had bought the pro runner struts when I first bought my 2014. So I open the box to check them out and on the first page of the instructions it said" Do not install on 14 and up Rams" I guess that's there disclaimer cause of the weaker ball joints on 14 and up Rams. Needles to say I sent them back.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had bought the pro runner struts when I first bought my 2014. So I open the box to check them out and on the first page of the instructions it said" Do not install on 14 and up Rams" I guess that's there disclaimer cause of the weaker ball joints on 14 and up Rams. Needles to say I sent them back.

They make a kit for the 14 and 15 now. That's what I was looking at. New uca and such. Do you remember if it came with springs?
Unfortanetly I do own a 17 and it's not labeled for 17s but than again not much is

Last edited:

StoneDude76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
They make a kit for the 14 and 15 now. That's what I was looking at. New uca and such. Do you remember if it came with springs?

No springs. Just the struts.

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just an FYI, Pro Comp part number 61181 is a set of Mevotech control arms branded for Pro Comp.

Mevotech are the ones who manufactured the control arms for ProComp OR Mevotech took a set of their own arms, painted them, put a sticker on it and ProComp is selling it as their own?

novelmike

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
QUOTE=crazykid1994;1420962]Well off the bat I'm keeping the factory tires. Which I believe I have the 20x9s with 33x11 tires. When I do swap tires im going to get Mickey Thompsons with 18x9 -12offset

Even while keeping your stock tires and wheels, you might have a issue. Check with ProComp first. There are spindle lift, and suspension lifts out there that cannot be used with the stock wheels, because of the backspacing issue.
It would suck to install the level kit only to find that out when you're ready to put the tire on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

OP
OP
crazykid1994

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's very true. I'll have to find out. This is just struts though not a spindle lift so it should be ok. And I could always throw a spacer In temporarily