Problem Bilstein 5100 installation sway bar links

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mdezie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi new to the forum. I've done a lot of research on leveling my 2014 ram 1500 4x4 regular cab and chose to go the bilstein route paired with a set of 285 65 r20 BFG ko2's. im in the middle of my install and I've been following this detailed YouTube video https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=GpLJIln6VBA
However when I went to reinstall my sway bar link it wasn't getting tight so I removed the nut to find that the threads were stripped. I thought maybe I over tightened it or something was bound up, so I drove across town to O Riley's and picked up a replacement and was very careful when installing it. I jacked the lower control arm got it lined up. This time worked the bottom bolt and top bolt a little at a time however when I went to do my final torque which from what I have found is supposed to be 27 ft lbs I never got there I stripped out my second link.... I'm frustrated and hope someone may have an idea or suggestion as to what I'm doing wrong before I try again in the morning.

Thanks, Matt

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Welcome to the forum sir !
Wish I could help more but 27 foot lbs seems high to me for the sway bar attachments, if I remember correctly you're just compressing rubber right ?
Post up a couple pics .
Have you done the other side ?
If not take a pic of it before you start , count the threads on the lower end , so you can reattach as it was before .
I didn't disconnect mine completly , I loosened them only enogh to allow me to push the lower control arm down enough to remove and reinstall the shock & coil assy .

bigolayne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here. I just loosened enough and then snugged up after. I think R.L.K is dead on

bravada94

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just finished my install of bils too. one of my sway bar top nuts stripped too. seems weird to me too that it would do that.

ksredram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same thing here. Replaced mine and just snugged them. Factories suck!

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Mine stripped too in the exact same spot. I had hell on this install today. Had to drive 2.5 hours round trip to find the part on a Sunday. Overall, I spent 8 hours ******* on this today and only got one side done. Here's hoping I have time to get the other side done, get alignment and new tires mounted tomorrow before I have to go back to work on Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine stripped too in the exact same spot. I had hell on this install today. Had to drive 2.5 hours round trip to find the part on a Sunday. Overall, I spent 8 hours ******* on this today and only got one side done. Here's hoping I have time to get the other side done, get alignment and new tires mounted tomorrow before I have to go back to work on Tuesday.

When you do the other side ( take a pic and count exposed threads ) , and just loosen enough to push the lower assy down enough to remove the oem shock & coil assy . You'll need to push down again to install the coil with the Bilstein shock , then just tighten it back as it was before you loosened it ( counting exposed threads )

Not much tq. Required here , I did mine this way aprox 5000 miles ago and have had no issues .

Hope this helps !

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the photo I took before I started .Notice the amount of threads above the nut on the anti-sway bar.

3fbea2792e8097d632dfabc85eda38d1.jpg

Look close , steering arm is kinda in the way , but you can tell I did not even loosen the bottom , and i just loosened the top while still maintaining good thread engagement.

30be52a9ef19a2817a518879afdc1c46.jpg

This pic is after I completed the install @ + 2.8 " , you can see I just tighten the top nut to where it was prior to starting the install .

b3b3b2fe170aa4ca27dce4ac3bdbd27c.jpg

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
When you do the other side ( take a pic and count exposed threads ) , and just loosen enough to push the lower assy down enough to remove the oem shock & coil assy . You'll need to push down again to install the coil with the Bilstein shock , then just tighten it back as it was before you loosened it ( counting exposed threads )

Not much tq. Required here , I did mine this way aprox 5000 miles ago and have had no issues .

Hope this helps !

I got'er done this morning. Passenger side went MUCH faster because I learned a lot of valuable lessons on the drivers side. Got the other side done in 2 hours and did manage to get new tires and alignment today's. Drives great.

.fb5cad368e015d32c577b04b1dd8b6cd.jpg

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I got'er done this morning. Passenger side went MUCH faster because I learned a lot of valuable lessons on the drivers side. Got the other side done in 2 hours and did manage to get new tires and alignment today's. Drives great.

.fb5cad368e015d32c577b04b1dd8b6cd.jpg

Fantastic! I love the way my bilsteins ride ! Much better than stock imo.