Problems installing Bilstein 5100

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slowmustanggt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2011 ram 1500 that I've been wanting to level for a while now and after doing a lot of research decided to go with Bilstein 5100 set at 2.8 and 1 inch rear spacer. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and do 90% of the work on all my vehicles myself so started to disassemble the front end of the truck and everything was going great until it came time to take out the lower strut mount bolt. The nut came off no problem but no matter what I tried from an impact gun to a 3lb hammer the bolt would just bounce in the rubber bushing and not move. After 3 hours of this I decided to put everything back together and that's when things went really bad. When I went to tighten the upper ball joint I used a half inch ratchet and as I tightened I heard a crack and saw a crack on the knuckle where the ball joint connects. At this point I was beyond frustrated and decided to suck it up and have it towed to my friends shop. Has anyone else had problems getting the lower strut bolt out or is it just me? Is the knuckle on Rams that weak that it can be cracked by a half inch ratchet?

Ox69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Sorry to hear that bro. I've had mine on and off a couple of time no issues. Any chance is could be under warranty ?

OP
OP
S

Slowmustanggt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I still have my 6 year 60 thousand warranty but I just want the truck back asap so I'm spending the money on the part and having it done instead of fighting with the dealership.

ETHIKILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stuff
Just had same thing happen on my buddy's '10. We were doing Bilsteins, both lower strut bolts were seized in the lower control arm bushing. After a couple hours we got the passenger side out. The driver side was an absolute no-go. The inner rubber would just spin with the bolt. We called around trying to find a new mount to no avail so we had to put the truck back together in stock configuration.

He ordered a new lower strut mount. FYI - Mopar will tell you that you must buy a new LCA. New part is due in this week. Not sure when we will tackle it, but we're basically committed to cutting out the OEM strut in order to replace the mount and install the Bilsteins.

We didn't crack a knuckle, but I feel your pain.

OP
OP
S

Slowmustanggt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mechanic called me today saying he had a hard time getting the strut bolt up and ended up having to cut it out and would have to replace the whole control arm to replace the bushing like you said. Where did you get the bushing from?

Cruizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Sport 4x4 QC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I had the same problem and was getting frustrated when I did mine a year ago. It happens because dirt gets into the bushing. I don't know why it only did it on my driver's side though. What I did was keep running the bolt in and out with an impact, hitting it with PB Blaster nearly ever turn. Eventually it washed the gunk out and thread all the way out. I would also hit the end of the bolt with a huge punch while backing it out occasionally. It was a ridiculous process and was close to giving up. Sorry to hear about the problems.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I know for my 07 I had this problem, and ended up using a large impact socket cup + air hammer and just pushed the whole bushing out of the arm after hitting it with a oxy torch. Got a replacement lower bushing from NAPA and just put it right in the lower arm. Not sure if they have a replacement bushing for the LCA for the 4th gens.

ETHIKILL

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
stuff
My mechanic called me today saying he had a hard time getting the strut bolt up and ended up having to cut it out and would have to replace the whole control arm to replace the bushing like you said. Where did you get the bushing from?

My buddy sourced the part from one of our local Autozone, Napa, or Advanced Auto stores. None had it in stock, but they were able to order it. I think its a Monroe 908962.

He paid about $30 for it, but Rock Auto has it for $21.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Very common problem use this part of you have the problem in fact I would just buy two of these in anticipation.
KYB SM5743