Problems with leveling and UCAs?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone actually had a problem with their UCAs or ball joints separating when they installed a leveling spacer or is that just a rumor that a lot of people have passed along? Just curious.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't know anyone personally, but I've seen pictures of 2 diff trucks on this forum and the otherz . One was a 13 with 2.5" and I believe the other was on here a 14 with a spacer kit ( I don't know the size of that one )
Both wer on the drivers side ...
Because of those pics & overwhelming advice from members here I went with bilsteins @2.8 " and for $100.00 I installed Mevotech UCA'S .

Nice things about the Mevotecs (from www.rockauto.com ) for $49 each it's cheep insurance and I still have the OEM ones if I have issues with the mevos. Doubt it though the Mevotecs are solid !

One thing most complain about with a spacer kit is the ride quality goes down , not issues with the ball joints . As a whole very few to my knowledge have had any issues with the ball joints .
If you don't drive like a maniac or do ROUGH offroading you'll probably be fine . Your ride may worsen a bit .

Hope this helps

Last edited:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just found out a buddy of mine installed spacers on his 2015 4x4 QC , I'll post up his thoughts once he get some miles on them .

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
A year ago there were a ton of posts about this. Lots of guys blowing ball joints. It seemed like every 4th post in the lifted section was this issue.

A guy just popped them on the Ram Ontario Facebook group last week after his install of a leveling kit.

If you put Bilsteins on set at 2.1 I've heard the stock UCA'S hold up. Some guys can also get away with using the stock UCA'S with a spacer leveling kit. Me on the other hand, I didn't want to "hope" they'd hold up when I'm towing 8000 lbs down through highway. I put Mevotech UCA'S on when the leveling kit was put on. They're much beefier and only $100.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the input. I have a 2wd so Bilsteins aren't an option for me. I really don't want to sacrifice ride quality either so it looks like I'll just save up and throw a spindle lift on it.

S.Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well after reading all the bad things about levelling these trucks on many forums I went and saw a couple shops, one of them being one that is very trusted and did all the work on my 2500's. They will no longer install a level kit on a ram 1500 because of the ball joint issue and even with upgraded UCA's they wont because of people saying the 4x4 wobble and vibration. I guess some people are lucky and didn't get any of the side effects but I wont risk it with a brand new truck, I will hold out for a full lift to eliminate the ball joint issue and the 4x4 issue, I use 4x4 alot and don't want vibration that obviously shouldn't be there.

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Well after reading all the bad things about levelling these trucks on many forums I went and saw a couple shops, one of them being one that is very trusted and did all the work on my 2500's. They will no longer install a level kit on a ram 1500 because of the ball joint issue and even with upgraded UCA's they wont because of people saying the 4x4 wobble and vibration. I guess some people are lucky and didn't get any of the side effects but I wont risk it with a brand new truck, I will hold out for a full lift to eliminate the ball joint issue and the 4x4 issue, I use 4x4 alot and don't want vibration that obviously shouldn't be there.
I've never heard of someone having issues after bilsteins were installed.

Raist11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After all the reading I've been doing on lifts and such.. I have to say this is the first I've heard of such a problem with bilsteins. In fact, everything I had read was stating that Bilsteins at 2.1 were the solution to most leveling issues.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed my bilsteins myself @ + 2.8 ", about 2500 miles ago & no issues at all , only thing to say about it on my end is #1 they leveled my truck almost perfectly and # 2 my ride is better than stock and the stock ride was great !
No vibes no wobble no nothing , I've been to 80mph+ in 2wd I've probably used 4x4 10 times since the install and no problems for me , I'd say go with the bills and install them yourself , it's a pretty easy DIY (4 out of 10 ) imo , or find a shop that will do the job & get a front end alignment .

Hope this helps !

S.Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I've never heard of someone having issues after bilsteins were installed.

according to the guys they may not be as big of an issue with the bilstiens but there can still be an issue, especially maxed out, he said no matter how you level it the front end geometry is still out, some more than others. The same shop will not install rough country lifts either due to build quality issues, not even if you bring it there yourself. They build alot of off road trucks and jeeps for that sole off road purpose , I trust what they say.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
according to the guys they may not be as big of an issue with the bilstiens but there can still be an issue, especially maxed out, he said no matter how you level it the front end geometry is still out, some more than others. The same shop will not install rough country lifts either due to build quality issues, not even if you bring it there yourself. They build alot of off road trucks and jeeps for that sole off road purpose , I trust what they say.
Hmm , not sure what to post ...

I can tell you sir , unfortunately your mind is already made up .

Lots of info here good & bad on Rough Country.

LOTS AND LOTS OF INFO out here on how great the Bilsteins are ... ( ME included ) BILSTEINS ARE AWESOME!

Make your own decisions Sir , go with what makes YOU comfortable ...

S.Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hmm , not sure what to post ...

I can tell you sir , unfortunately your mind is already made up .

Lots of info here good & bad on Rough Country.

LOTS AND LOTS OF INFO out here on how great the Bilsteins are ... ( ME included ) BILSTEINS ARE AWESOME!

Make your own decisions Sir , go with what makes YOU comfortable ...

I belive the bilsteins are awesome, I had them on all 4 corners of one of my last diesels, just shocks but they were great. I would love to do a level kit now while waiting on a lift just nervous about the wobble and vibration that some get from it, bilsteins included. I'm also sure some have great luck with rough country too, its I've heard more bad than good and very little bad if any at all from companies like kore, fabtech and bds.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Thanks for the input. I have a 2wd so Bilsteins aren't an option for me. I really don't want to sacrifice ride quality either so it looks like I'll just save up and throw a spindle lift on it.

First I've seen this mentioned, although I wondered because all the sites that carry them only list them for 4x4s.

Is there a 2wd Bilstein option? If not, is it spacers or nothing?

Are ball joints popping still a problem on leveled 2wd trucks?

If so, do Mevotechs UCAs fit 2wd as well?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not sure on anything 2wd , but I'm pretty sure I've heard the Mevotecs are for 2 & 4wd .
Check with your dealer and see if the 2 & 4wd OEM UCA'S are the same , the go to www.rockauto.com and see if 2 & 4wd UCAs are the same , best price @ www.rockauto.com. and they are a preferred Vender here on the forum!

SilverStreak88

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Eco Gasser
I have 2.5 spacers on my truck and it eat's ball joints and struts all day long.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Your spacers are over compressing your shocks and putting added stresses on the Balljoint ...