Question: Suspension/coilover upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey guys,
So I am beginning my long road of research as to which route I want to go as far as light suspension upgrade. I have a 2013 ram 1500 sport, 4x4. I have fabricated a tube front bumper with a winch and roof rack. I believe there two additions add around 400 pounds, maybe a bit more. I also have a 17 foot travel trailer, that when I have my gear in it, but no water, weighs around 4000 pounds, 450 tongue weight. With gear in my truck, we can assume I have a load of around 1000 pounds. This is not every day that I have this set up though, generally I will just have an additional 100 pounds of tools in my bed. Soo let's keep it simple and say 600 pounds of payload as the daily drive.

My front end sags a bit with the added weight of the bumper (220ish pounds). Let me preface the following with I am not a suspension expert. Anyways, my control arms sit almost parallel to the floor, maybe 15 degrees from flat. I have also installed the air lift 1000 rear spring helpers. These things work great when I am fully loaded and it is easy to make the truck sit flat. I also have a leveling kit (not sure which one, as previous owner installed it). So all in all the truck rides fine and sits level, load or unloaded.

I want to replace my coilover and might as well get those rear piggyback shocks to improve performance. I have been looking at the king oem 2.5 package. My questions are as follow: with a coilover kit like the King, or any other one (icon, radflo, fox, billstein) will I be able to bring that front end back up and regain some of the travel? Do these kits affect towing in a negative fashion? What kind of recommendations do you guys have for setting up the suspension. It seems like some people are of the mentality that "if you get those, then you might as well get these, and if you get those, get these too." I'm not trying to build a prerunner but I would love something that rides super plush and gives me some more travel.

I appreciate the time everyone, and I hope you can help shed some light and knowledge on my questions!!

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Normally you can adjust the height with those types of coilovers, although I'm not exactly sure by how much. Front suspension shouldn't really affect towing, maybe hurt your mpg a little but thats part of towing and lifting/leveling. Most people are going to recommend bilsteins for a basic level. But if you can afford the kings/icon/radflo/etc then those would make a huge ride difference. If you can afford the front and rear kings then I would definitely go with those

OP
OP
A

Amastro46

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Normally you can adjust the height with those types of coilovers, although I'm not exactly sure by how much. Front suspension shouldn't really affect towing, maybe hurt your mpg a little but thats part of towing and lifting/leveling. Most people are going to recommend bilsteins for a basic level. But if you can afford the kings/icon/radflo/etc then those would make a huge ride difference. If you can afford the front and rear kings then I would definitely go with those

Hey I appreciate the response! I would save money over the next 12 months or so it wouldn't be so bad. I think they would be very helpful

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nice coilovers are the way to go and you can crank them up to level with your heavy bumper. Just remember to crank up your driver side slightly more because it's heavier with you and the steering parts on that side. I have 3/16" more thread showing on my driver side with my dirt logics.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk