Rattle after bilstein install???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just wondering if anyone has had a rattle after they installed the bilstein 5100's, I set mine at max and when I hit bumps I can hear something rattling on the passenger side underneath somewhere, at first it almost sounded like the side step but that wasn't it. Can't seem to find it myself so was wondering if anyone had any ideas, thanks

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Just wondering if anyone has had a rattle after they installed the bilstein 5100's, I set mine at max and when I hit bumps I can hear something rattling on the passenger side underneath somewhere, at first it almost sounded like the side step but that wasn't it. Can't seem to find it myself so was wondering if anyone had any ideas, thanks

I remember people having this problem on their chevy/gmcs before I installed mine on my previous truck. It turned out that the nut on top of the shocks hadn't been torqued properly after install. I'm not sure if it's the same set up with the ram front end, but it may be a place to start looking... good luck

jake09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
^^ yeh good chance it's that top strut nut..fun thing about it is that you have to take out the entire strut again to check it haha

Soundwave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually have some rattling after installing my leveling kit. It boggled me at first and I was worried something was loose. I realized that the studs on the pro comp spacer protruded a little more than the stock ones. The top of the fender is very flimsy and moves around quite a bit and I found that's what it was. It bothers me much less now that I know exactly what it is. It's usually subtle and if it bothered me that much I cut the fender or put something spongy on top of the protruding bolts.

OP
OP
R

ryan888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ya it was that inner fender hitting the top bolts on the strut, will be cutting a bit out for sure cant stand the noise, thanks for the help

Reactions: JB1

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Ya it was that inner fender hitting the top bolts on the strut, will be cutting a bit out for sure cant stand the noise, thanks for the help

Just wondering if that fixed the problem?

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a similar problem when I installed mine yesturday. It was making a thumpin noise when I would go over bumps. Took it to an alignment shop, problem fixed. **** was so out of whack it was causing a noise.

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I had a similar problem when I installed mine yesturday. It was making a thumpin noise when I would go over bumps. Took it to an alignment shop, problem fixed. **** was so out of whack it was causing a noise.

I can't wait. Getting mine in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully I don't get this rattle, or if I do it is also fixed with an alignment. :happy107:

steadly2004

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I can't wait. Getting mine in the mail tomorrow. Hopefully I don't get this rattle, or if I do it is also fixed with an alignment. :happy107:
No rattle for me yet. Not before or after the alignment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

sevanitus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same noise right now after I installed my Rough Country 2.5" level..its driving me ape **** and I will be shaving those inner fenders in the a.m.

OP
OP
R

ryan888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

did they say what was exactly wrong, and could you tell it was out of place before you took it in just from looking at how the tires were sitting?

DeeZee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took 2 years but my front struts developed a rattle with the bilsteins. Mechanic said the washers were in the correct position under the mount and the nut was tight. My mounts are now worn and need to be replaced which is only about 120 bucks CAD his cost, but we're at a loss here. Can anyone think of why the mounts would be worn, and why I could possibly expect a different result with new strut mounts?

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On my 03 I had the sway bar making contact with the metal U shaped frame mount and on another it was the end link was not tight enough

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had a noise after installing bilsteins on my 2015 1/2 ton. Turns out i should have read directions closer. Bilstein provides a washer and a nut. Conventional wisdom tells you that the washer should go on top of the strut plate, then the nut when in fact the washer goes on the piston shaft first, then the strut plate, then the nut.

I knew how it was done because i did it myself. This may be a little harder for you unless you can ask the mechanic that installed it, or get a visual inspection camera in there to see where the washer was placed. If washer is not used the shaft can actually work itself through the plate causing a sound.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I had a noise after installing bilsteins on my 2015 1/2 ton. Turns out i should have read directions closer. Bilstein provides a washer and a nut. Conventional wisdom tells you that the washer should go on top of the strut plate, then the nut when in fact the washer goes on the piston shaft first, then the strut plate, then the nut.

I knew how it was done because i did it myself. This may be a little harder for you unless you can ask the mechanic that installed it, or get a visual inspection camera in there to see where the washer was placed. If washer is not used the shaft can actually work itself through the plate causing a sound.
I think you can tell if the bolt protrudes above the 3 shock tower bolts/nuts around it. My recollection is, it should not. This stuck in my mind after reading something about that here and that you could reach your hand in and feel if the strut bolt does not sit higher (and if you can see it sitting higher you know for sure its wrong!)

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk