re-locating rear control arms?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just wondering why some lift kits relocate the rear control arms and some don't? It seems the control arms are connected to the frame and the axle, therefore when the rear is lifted wouldn't it pull the rear axle closer to the cab?
I noticed some companies lift up to 4" in the rear without relocating them. I'm deciding whether its worth the extra work and money to get a rear lift kit with relocation brackets for the control arms. Any comments/thoughts?

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed in some pics of lifted trucks that the rear does appear too far back in the wheel wells. I guess some kits address that and some don't.

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've noticed in some pics of lifted trucks that the rear does appear too far back in the wheel wells. I guess some kits address that and some don't.

I now notice that too in pictures. I guess relocating the rear control arms help center the wheel inside the wheel well. I guess I should spend more and get a rear lift with brackets.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
With the much lift I would expect a drop bracket or longer control arms
Not only would you be moving the center of the axle but your leaving your control arms on a steep ample and create a harsher ride

BULLRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Sau.mine has the link drop bracket to relieve some of the pull, it rides perfect, doesnt jump around when I hit bumps at all.

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sau.mine has the link drop bracket to relieve some of the pull, it rides perfect, doesnt jump around when I hit bumps at all.

Did you buy something seperate? I know they have the panhard/track bar drop bracket, but I didnt think CST had any drop brackets for the control arms?

BULLRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
No I meant the pahard bar bracket, if it stays in it stock location even at 4 inch lift on the rear it will pull the rear end. the kit came with the bracket

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No I meant the pahard bar bracket, if it stays in it stock location even at 4 inch lift on the rear it will pull the rear end. the kit came with the bracket

Yea I hear ya.

Im just wondering why CST (and other brands) didnt relocate the control arms? Either with new longer ones or atleast a drop bracket.

Im no expert on this subject, but just by looking at the rear suspension and seeing how lifting the springs/shocks 4-5", its obvious the control arms need to be addressed.

BULLRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
here is my stance after the install on stock tires and wheels, rear looks in the center, when i talked to them back when, i was told 4 inch was about all you want to go on the arms without relocating them
0448928.jpg

BULLRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
While i was looking around a while back .found these look pretty cool, you could trim your rear height perfect or raise it just a bit for trailers......
rear adjustable coil spring spacers
Spring-Spacers_zps89194d49.jpg

OP
OP
sausec17

sausec17

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting Bullram. Thanks for the info.

I am interested in the Pro Comp 4.5" rear lift that is also adjustable up to 5". They use additional small spacers to add to customize your rear height.

They also inculde control arm brackets and new sway bar end links. Cheaper than CST too, $220+ new shocks ($100) so $320 total

Last edited: