rough countries 3" suspension lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

watsy444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
i just recently bought a 2016 ram 1500 big horn crew cab. I am looking at buying a 3" rough country suspension kit.

The last truck I had was a 2012 outdoorsman. I installed bils on the outdoorsman and set them on 2.8. I wasn't very happy with them and thought id try something else.

I like the 3" kit idea because of the uca's it comes with.

any thoughts? or anyone who has done it?

thanks in advance!!

Ravjay12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's still strut spacers, right? You're going to overextend the struts. The ride is usually horrible.

OP
OP
watsy444

watsy444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
OP, what don't you like about the Bils? You can always add a Zone 1.5" or 3.0" body lift.

I don't really like the idea of a body lif, stretching everything out.

my other bils looked good for the most part, after only having them on my truck for like 5 months the left strut blew and was messed, replaced it, shortly later the other shock went . constant head ache.

ive heard issues about rough countrys suspension lift but didn't know how the 3 inch lift was

HTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
do you have any pictures? how does the truck ride? is it the rough country 3 inch spacer with the a arms?

The link I posted takes you to my thread. There's pictures there.

HTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
It's still strut spacers, right? You're going to overextend the struts. The ride is usually horrible.

There is a spacer within the strut assembly as well as on top of the assembly; 2 spacers on each side of the front. The ride is same as stock, and nothing is overextended.

OP
OP
watsy444

watsy444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
There is a spacer within the strut assembly as well as on top of the assembly; 2 spacers on each side of the front. The ride is same as stock, and nothing is overextended.

do you have any photos of the install? i know how to install your normal level kit that goes onto the top of the strut. but with the one that goes within the strut assembly how does that work? do you have to use spring compressors to install

HTX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel
Unfortunately, I didn't take photos of install. You do have to follow the steps as if you were replacing the shock, meaning that you will need a spring compressor. I borrowed one from AutoZone for free.

I will say that it was pretty easy. A friend and I knocked it out in about 4.5 hours. Neither of us have extensive mechanic skills; I just watched a couple of YouTube videos to learn how to remove and replace the shocks. From there, the UCA that comes with the kit was just a couple of bolts.