Rough country 2.5 lift kit questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2014 ram 1500 express 4x4 and I just bought the rough country 2.5 inch front and rear coil spacers. I went the a local custom shop and the owner said he won't install the lift unless I buy extended control arms because I'll bust balls joints. But yet the reason I bought the lift was because rough country specifically told me I could retain my stock control arms with the lift kit. Has anyone else installed the rough country 2.5 ram lift kit? Or can answer if I need to buy extended control arms or can keep my stock ones and I will be fine? Thank you

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Get Bilsteins and forget spacers.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you referring to the front upper control arms? I had the rough country level on for a while before I went to the BDS lift, that made a pretty big difference. If you're referring to the front UCA's, there's a well known problem with the ball joints popping out in them. So maybe thats why. But they shouldn't deny an install because of that, maybe they just don't want to be liable. I would check out other shops and see what they say.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Blackout1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes said I would need to replace upper control arms because I could run the risk of popping a ball joint. I think he's was just trying to make more money on me because he had the control arms in stock and then said it would be 900 to install the lift and control arms I said for that price I might as well have gone with a full suspension lift with new struts so idk I don't really have the time or the place to install the lift myself but if I have to spend $900 to install and $130 lift I guess I will find the time and place.

Dantheman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes said I would need to replace upper control arms because I could run the risk of popping a ball joint. I think he's was just trying to make more money on me because he had the control arms in stock and then said it would be 900 to install the lift and control arms I said for that price I might as well have gone with a full suspension lift with new struts so idk I don't really have the time or the place to install the lift myself but if I have to spend $900 to install and $130 lift I guess I will find the time and place.

What kind of uca's does he have? Most people use mevotechs and you can get them for about $100

OP
OP
B

Blackout1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't remember the brand he said he had in stock but he said they were $400

dbrock34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I had that kit on my 2014 1500 for 17k miles. Not a single issue. I'd find another shop. Think I paid 200ish for the install.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
The shop is 100% correct. A spacer type leveling kit allows the suspension to over extend past OEM specs. When they changed the upper A-arm design on the 2013+ trucks this cause a ton of guys to have issues with the upper ball joint popping out of the A-arm because of the angle of the suspension. This information is all over the forum and you can read up on it if you like but I can tell you that the shop isn't lying to you and is actually trying to get you setup properly.

This is why Bilsteins are recommended over any spacer type leveling kit as they keep the suspension travel within OEM specs. If they're installed correctly this shouldn't lead to any issues with the ball joints popping out. Therefore at the end of the day it's actually cheaper to install Bilsteins than spacer kits because there's no need for upper A-arms.
You can read up on more of this in the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature.

The upper A-arms that he is likely quoting you are Zone's which yes, are worth $400. Total labor hours for installing a leveling kit and upper A-arms would be in the 3 hour range so call it $300 for labor. Then $100 for an alignment on top of that plus shop supplies, tax, etc. so no his quote isn't too far off.

As suggested above, you'll be better off returning the spacers and getting Bilstein 5100's instead.

OP
OP
B

Blackout1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been looking into the bilsteins and think I am going to go with the adjustables in the front and the 1" shocks in the rear but the owner of the shop even said I would need upper control arms even if I went with the bilstein lift. So if I do get the bilsteins I will be fine keeping my stock control arms?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I've been looking into the bilsteins and think I am going to go with the adjustables in the front and the 1" shocks in the rear but the owner of the shop even said I would need upper control arms even if I went with the bilstein lift. So if I do get the bilsteins I will be fine keeping my stock control arms?

Yes you'll be fine with stock upper A-arms with Bilsteins because of the reasons I stated in my last post.