Rough ride with bilsteins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I recently did bils at 2.8 with mevotech ucas. The ride down a mostly smooth road seems better, but any bump I go over or dip or a road that's not smooth, the ride seems either rougher or front end is tighter. Possibly just because the shocks are still very new, less than 50/100 miles? Everything was installed correctly including spring seats and washer. I did not torque the top nut, as I had no pass through, but it seemed tight. Would the nut need to be tightened again after lowering the truck off the jacks? Also I didn't measure how much the springs were compressed compared to before as another member did but the coils seemed to be more compressed now than with the previous spacer lift, where as that member seemed to have less compression after the bils.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Its going to ride rougher because the springs or now compressed more.

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I did the Bilstein adjustable 6112 coilovers in the front of my truck with Fox 2.0s in the rear. Both are beefier shocks (larger diameter) than the stock shocks and I can definitely feel my ride has been much smoother. I also upgraded my upper control arms because of the dreaded ball joints popping out on the 1500's.

My intentions for the new shocks were to mildly lift my truck 2.5" in the front as I've heard leveling kits can be to the detriment of the front suspension components and to compliment my 1" rear spacer with an appropriately sized shock (fox is rated for a 1" rear lift).

I avoided the Bilstein 5100's because I have read they give you a harsher ride which I absolutely wasn't looking for as well as the fact that I have no intentions of off-roading and didn't want to sacrifice ride quality for performance.

From my research, basically every other brand of truck sees an improvement in ride quality from the 5100's except the Ram due to the fact that our trucks come from the factory with a plush coil over system.

My shocks haven't changed from what I can tell over the last 5,000 miles. The day I had them installed them until now I would have to say the ride quality has stayed the same. As far as the compression of the Bilsteins I really don't have any answer to that as I didn't install mine myself.

Good luck with everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dryates

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just figured it would be a little less rough, as everyone one here says that it's way better than stock

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I just figured it would be a little less rough, as everyone one here says that it's way better than stock

I think that is a misconception...no way it can feel softer than stock. What I usually see on here is it feels more like a truck should or more stable

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Bilstein 5100 shock does not achieve the lift by compressing the spring any more than a stock shock. The lower spring mount is simply moved up on the shock body resulting in a higher ride height. The suspension still travels in its designed parameters. This is why the Bilstein is the preferred method over running a sprig spacer. When you move the spring perch to the highest setting which is 2.8" above stock you achieve about 2.8" of lift. It could not do this if the spring was compressing. As far as a stiff ride it may be that your factory shocks are worn and you slowly got used to the ride. I did notice a firmer ride when I installed my shocks but it definitely isn't to stiff. Also not sure if you have had the truck aligned or not but that can also cause a harsher ride. The way the shocks operate and the way they achieve their lift is explained on the Bilstein website. It's actually very informative on a different ways to level these trucks.

OP
OP
Dryates

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Bilstein 5100 shock does not achieve the lift by compressing the spring any more than a stock shock. The lower spring mount is simply moved up on the shock body resulting in a higher ride height. The suspension still travels in its designed parameters. This is why the Bilstein is the preferred method over running a sprig spacer. When you move the spring perch to the highest setting which is 2.8" above stock you achieve about 2.8" of lift. It could not do this if the spring was compressing. As far as a stiff ride it may be that your factory shocks are worn and you slowly got used to the ride. I did notice a firmer ride when I installed my shocks but it definitely isn't to stiff. Also not sure if you have had the truck aligned or not but that can also cause a harsher ride. The way the shocks operate and the way they achieve their lift is explained on the Bilstein website. It's actually very informative on a different ways to level these trucks.

When installing the top plate I had to compress the springs more after I removed them from the old shocks in order to get the top nut on, so there has to be a little more compression

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine coils definitely looked more compressed, and when removing the spring compressor it definitely released way earlier than the stock length when putting it on (if that makes sense). It seems like it's the outcome of the bilstieins being installed and not how it achieves the actually lift.

I did not torque the top nut I initially and it was awful. Just felt like it needed to "settle" but over the slightest bump made it feel like it rattled and didn't feel secure when driving.
I ended up taking a spark plug socket (pop out the rubber price), a pair of channel locks (locked on the socket), and a Allen wrench. At first I struggled when the truck was on the ground and then realized the top nut is meant to be torqued BEFORE it goes on the truck. Meaning that it cannot have a load on the spring.
Jack the truck up, go from the wheel well and get your assembly together and get it as tight as possible.
After that, a standard 1/2in drive torque wrench should fit just fine through the top plate.

Sent via telepathy

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When installing the top plate I had to compress the springs more after I removed them from the old shocks in order to get the top nut on, so there has to be a little more compression

Yes you are correct. Since you are raising the bottom spring perch on the shock body you will need to compress the spring more in order for it to fit on the shock when it is fully extended. Once the truck is put on the ground and the shock and the spring is compressed it is not compressed anymore than it is when it is at the stock height with the truck on the ground. The truck simply rides higher because the spring position is moved up on the shock.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well said Sir !
This information ^^^^^^^^^ is 100% exactly correct .
If anyone doesn't understand I encourage you to go to Bilstien's website , it is very informative , also check out Brandonjanson's sticky at the top of the 4th gen lifted category here for more information and the difference between spacers & Bilsteins 5100s as far as how they achieve lift and what's being compressed and loaded & what's not .

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?t=70918

When I installed my bils @ + 2.8" for me I felt the ride was much better , not necessarily smoother or stiffer , I feel as if it recovers faster in leveling the front from bumps or hard turns , imo this recovery time is a much better ride due to the front end not bouncing & or swaying for several seconds after a bump , hard turn or getting into a corner aggressively.

Just my .02 , as everyone likes different things .
Definitely get an alignment once the bils are installed !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dryates

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine coils definitely looked more compressed, and when removing the spring compressor it definitely released way earlier than the stock length when putting it on (if that makes sense). It seems like it's the outcome of the bilstieins being installed and not how it achieves the actually lift.

I did not torque the top nut I initially and it was awful. Just felt like it needed to "settle" but over the slightest bump made it feel like it rattled and didn't feel secure when driving.
I ended up taking a spark plug socket (pop out the rubber price), a pair of channel locks (locked on the socket), and a Allen wrench. At first I struggled when the truck was on the ground and then realized the top nut is meant to be torqued BEFORE it goes on the truck. Meaning that it cannot have a load on the spring.
Jack the truck up, go from the wheel well and get your assembly together and get it as tight as possible.
After that, a standard 1/2in drive torque wrench should fit just fine through the top plate.

Sent via telepathy

Did this fix your rattle/insecure feeling or rough ride?

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did this fix your rattle/insecure feeling or rough ride?

100% yes. AFmoulton (spelling?) pretty much walked me through since I did about every mistake possible along the way.

I was ready to say f-it and take em off until I took the load off the springs and got it tight. Once I got the truck up, the top strut nut had backed itself off and wasn't even finger tight and really happy I didn't damage anything in the process. Just like every other component in the suspension system, it NEEDS to be torqued without a doubt.

Sent via telepathy

Kenneth1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Limited 4x4
Engine
I dont think it is the bils but rather the load range E tires thats why i will stay stock and get a toy truck to mess around with but will never do my daily ever again i'm getting old i guess.

OP
OP
Dryates

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alrighty, got home from work, jacked the front end up and of course the top strut nut was not tight on both sides. Tightened both sides down, pass through socket set made this way easier. Then once off the jacks tightened again. Made a world of difference. The truck no longer feels like its going to fall apart. Still not the plushy feeling, more like a 3/4 ton truck, but at least is no where like it was, alot better.

HotLights

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was right there with ya when I installed my bils at 2.8. Everyone said go with bils the ride is way better. The ride was stiffer and more rough. Stock rode much better. It looked good but I wasn't happy with them. I now have a 2" daystar spacer and it's much better. Maybe that .8 made that big of a difference. With that being said. I'd like to ride with someone who has them installed. Just to feel the difference as it's been several months.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VLG6963