Rough ride with bilsteins?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dryates

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder how big a difference going from 2.8 to 2.1 on the bils would make in terms of ride quality, surely it would be less stiff

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My ride is awesome @ + 2.8"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I wonder how big a difference going from 2.8 to 2.1 on the bils would make in terms of ride quality, surely it would be less stiff

It can't hurt because there would be less pre-load on the spring

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If your ride is rough to the point you'd call it rough after a bilstien 5100 install at any setting to include + 2.8" , then I'd be looking at the installation for something being incorrect.
Or a lot less likely a defected new shock assy .
Thing is , we've seen countless improperly installed bilstein 5100s from DIY guys and professional service shops .
There's 4 main points on the install
1) install the spring seat right side up .

2) install the supplied washer below the dust cover on the piston Shaft , NOT in direct contact with the supplied top nut .

3) Torquing of the top nut IS required

4 put everything back together properly & get an alignment.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are many misconceptions on how the 5100 shocks work. They don't achieve there lift by compressing the spring more than just moving it up on the shock body. They should and do pretty much ride the same no matter what setting they are on because the spring is always compressed to the same amount when it is supporting the weight of the truck. They simply move the spring location by raising the lower spring perch on the shock which makes the truck ride higher. You do need to compress the spring more to initially install it on the shock because the spring is not supporting the weight of the truck so the shock is fully extended and is the limiting factor and holds the spring back. When the truck is on the ground the spring compresses to support the truck. The shock is no longer holding the spring back. It is floating within the spring. The ride height is higher because the spring is mounted higher on the shock. I have never seen a post where someone had a issue with the ride after installing the Bilsteins that didn't turn out to be an oversight or mistake during instalation.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
There are many misconceptions on how the 5100 shocks work. They don't achieve there lift by compressing the spring more than just moving it up on the shock body. They should and do pretty much ride the same no matter what setting they are on because the spring is always compressed to the same amount when it is supporting the weight of the truck. They simply move the spring location by raising the lower spring perch on the shock which makes the truck ride higher. You do need to compress the spring more to initially install it on the shock because the spring is not supporting the weight of the truck so the shock is fully extended and is the limiting factor and holds the spring back. When the truck is on the ground the spring compresses to support the truck. The shock is no longer holding the spring back. It is floating within the spring. The ride height is higher because the spring is mounted higher on the shock. I have never seen a post where someone had a issue with the ride after installing the Bilsteins that didn't turn out to be an oversight or mistake during instalation.

by your definition level spacers like Hell bent steel should not ride any different than stock since they don't compress the spring at all but most everybody says the do and ride like crap. With bilsteins yes when the full weight of the truck in on the spring its not going to compress any further than it did from stock, but the spring is preloaded now. there is always exrta energy stored in that spring now. It will always have more rebound force and more resistance to compression. You can't change things like that and have it not have any reaction. The ONLY way to keep it riding like stock is to keep it stock.

edit: I want to add that mine are set at 2.1 and by no means do i think it rides bad or rough. I can however in certain situations tell that it is a little stiffer.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It actually completely supports what I'm trying to say I guess I just don't explain it well. The spacer actually moves your upper shock mount away from the shock which completely changes your suspension geometry. That's completely opposite to how the Bilstein raises your truck

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
To the contrary perfectly supports my definition of how the Bilstein shock works. A leveling spacer actually moves the upper shock away from the upper shock mount. This completely changes your suspension geometry and allows the shock to move way past it's recommended downward motion. It also causes the spring to be closer to coil bind upon compression which can result in a rougher ride. Due to the fact that your suspension is not traveling within its design parameters you can have upper ball joint failures and even CV issues in some cases. The leveling spacer in the Bilstein shock are two completely different methods of raising the vehicle. Look at it this way, let's say you wanted to put your truck up on blocks to do some work and you decided you would put it on 12" blocks. It's going to take a certain amount of energy to hold that truck up that the blocks will absorb. After you work on it awhile you realize it's not high enough so you decide to put for more 12" blocks under the truck. The truck is going to be 12 inches higher but it's not going to take any more energy to hold the truck 24" off the ground then it did to hold it 12" off the ground. This is exactly how the Bilstein shock works it simply moves to spring up on the shock body to lift a truck higher there's no more energy put on the spring to hold the truck higher. There are several videos plus the Bilstein website that probably explain it a lot better than I do maybe I'm just not explaining it clearly.

I fully get what you are saying, and fully understand that it doesn't take any extra energy of the spring to hold the weight of the truck, but to achieve the lift as you stated by moving the perch up is in fact compressing the spring.

For easy numbers lets say the spring is 12 inches long and in stock form with the weight of the truck it compressed down to 8". So 4" travel/compression of the spring was the required energy to hold the weight of the truck. So now we add bilsteins which again simple numbers, lets say we raised the perch 2 " the spring without weight is now compress to 10". With the weight of the truck it only compress 2" this time. The truck will be higher but the shock will in fact be compressed to the same 4" since that was the energy required to hold the truck.

Now here is where i'm saying it has to be different. When the full weight of the truck is not on that spring it is not ever back to its stock form. It always has 2" of compressed energy in it. which will react differently to bumps, potholes, dips, railroad crossings, etc.

I'm not saying what you are saying its wrong, I'm just saying there is more to it, and "better ride" is in the eye of the beholder. It can't and won't ever be the same as stock ride unless we are talking flat land driving on something as smooth as glass lol

OP
OP
Dryates

Dryates

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your ride is rough to the point you'd call it rough after a bilstien 5100 install at any setting to include + 2.8" , then I'd be looking at the installation for something being incorrect.
Or a lot less likely a defected new shock assy .
Thing is , we've seen countless improperly installed bilstein 5100s from DIY guys and professional service shops .
There's 4 main points on the install
1) install the spring seat right side up .

2) install the supplied washer below the dust cover on the piston Shaft , NOT in direct contact with the supplied top nut .

3) Torquing of the top nut IS required

4 put everything back together properly & get an alignment.

It was needing to torque the top nut. Should I get another alignment now that everything is back tight?

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It was needing to torque the top nut. Should I get another alignment now that everything is back tight?

I dont think you need an alignment. You just tightened it down but did not change any angles or remove the parts of the suspension that keeps your truck in line.
Good job on figuring it out and hopefully that solves your problems! If not, you know where to ask :happy107:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I dont think you need an alignment. You just tightened it down but did not change any angles or remove the parts of the suspension that keeps your truck in line.
Good job on figuring it out and hopefully that solves your problems! If not, you know where to ask :happy107:
I agree with Dan , but I'd pay attention to the ride ...ie pulling one way over the other in normal driving conditions. ...if it seems off one way or another then an alignment may not be a bad idea

Hope this helps you sir and congrats on you bilsteins 5100 install Sir , as I'm extremely happy with mine now for over 25,000 miles

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did the Bilstein adjustable 6112 coilovers in the front of my truck with Fox 2.0s in the rear. Both are beefier shocks (larger diameter) than the stock shocks and I can definitely feel my ride has been much smoother. I also upgraded my upper control arms because of the dreaded ball joints popping out on the 1500's.

My intentions for the new shocks were to mildly lift my truck 2.5" in the front as I've heard leveling kits can be to the detriment of the front suspension components and to compliment my 1" rear spacer with an appropriately sized shock (fox is rated for a 1" rear lift).

I avoided the Bilstein 5100's because I have read they give you a harsher ride which I absolutely wasn't looking for as well as the fact that I have no intentions of off-roading and didn't want to sacrifice ride quality for performance.

From my research, basically every other brand of truck sees an improvement in ride quality from the 5100's except the Ram due to the fact that our trucks come from the factory with a plush coil over system.

My shocks haven't changed from what I can tell over the last 5,000 miles. The day I had them installed them until now I would have to say the ride quality has stayed the same. As far as the compression of the Bilsteins I really don't have any answer to that as I didn't install mine myself.

Good luck with everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What part number are your 6112's and what setting did you use?

pgr1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I tried the 5100's on my 07 and hated the stiff ride at every height including stock. I then tried stock setting with a small spacer for 2" lift then gave in and sold them . I had 5100s on my 03 and loved the ride and on my Wrangler as well. I now have a 14 reg cab short bed with the Rancho quick lift set on 5 and a 1" rear spacer . If it is parked on damn near dead level ground you may be able to detect a slight rake. It rides and handles great. I have a Zone 1.5 BL still in the box I was going to use but have since ordered the PA 3" BL instead. Between previous experience and reviews I felt sure the 5100's would be great , It just proves a saying used on Jeep Forum for years , Ride quality is very subjective.

clays laramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Bilsteins on the top perch ride rough.. Ive had them on a f150 and on my ram.. They are awesome on smooth pavement , but ****** on rough terrain.. I switched to rancho quicklifts and they are much better as a all around shock.. I spend my time on trails and the billies will shake the **** out of your truck.. They are a great shock, just not on the top perch..

swh822

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What is the torque spec on the top nut?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year