Shop Talk - share your conversations with your local shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8
Figured a good thread about conversations with local shop could be beneficial for everyone. I'll start with my conversation today

I just had an interesting conversation with a local 4x4 shop. I head in there to talk about leveling my '14 Ram 1500 with Bilsteins @2.1 and 35" trail grapplers to ask about alignment, vss tuning and if I need to adjust gear ratios. I already bought the Bils and wheels/tires so I'm doing the lift.

I tell him what I'm leveling with Bils and he says absolutely don't do it, leave it stock or lift it 4" with a suspension lift. I was half expecting this as every mechanic/shop says the same thing..your bushings will go, geometries off, a-arms are too steep, etc. After acknowledging I know the risks I try to ask he keeps re-iterating I should do a 4" lift and do it right.

So I ask "Will running a leveled truck with 35's hurt my engine or transmission?" He says most likely not. So then I say " I already have the Bilsteins, why don't I just run them and when my front suspension starts to go I'll rip the whole thing out and then do the 4" suspension lift? If I am going to replace a functioning suspension why don't I just wait until my front suspension fails then replace it with a lift?"

He looked at me pretty confused, and didn't really give me a good answer. Does that not make sense or is my logic completely off?

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
No he wants to do a 4" lift so you will just have him do it as most people dont want to that by themselves where as most will do the level kit themselves.