Small lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dano86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good day everyone,

I am looking to add a couple inches suspension type lift (not body). 2012 Ram 1500 Sport. I've read a little about the Bilstein shocks and seen mixed thoughts. I am not looking to go crazy. I don't do the big off road trails anymore. More just looking for a touch more clearance for driving around the pasture and forest service roads. That and next size taller tire when they are due.

How much can I do without changing additional parts?

How does the bilstein ride?

Thanks in advance
Dano

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
From what you're saying you just need a front end leveling kit to bring the front end up a bit. Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts are the best way to do that for sure. They will increase your ride quality over stock and give you the additional lift you're looking for. You can read more about them VS spacers in the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature.

Shelby

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bilstein shocks are what you are looking for but there are a few other adjustable shock options for more and less money.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Installed the Bilsteins on my 2015 Ram 1500 CC at 2.1. Happy with the way it looks now, and rides very nicely. Actually feels like it is more planted on the road and no floating or body roll at all. :happy107:

OP
OP
D

Dano86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what you're saying you just need a front end leveling kit to bring the front end up a bit. Bilstein 5100 adjustable front struts are the best way to do that for sure. They will increase your ride quality over stock and give you the additional lift you're looking for. You can read more about them VS spacers in the Guide to Leveling linked in my signature.

I think it already has a leveling kit but haven't had a chance to measure yet. I would like to add a couple inches on top of leveling.

Is it possible to level plus two inches all around without needing to change sway bars etc?

Also are there bilstein lift struts for the rear? If so would that give me my 2 inches?

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
I think it already has a leveling kit but haven't had a chance to measure yet. I would like to add a couple inches on top of leveling.

Is it possible to level plus two inches all around without needing to change sway bars etc?

Also are there bilstein lift struts for the rear? If so would that give me my 2 inches?

You'll want to find out what it has on the front end for sure before going further.

You can't stack Bilsteins and leveling spacers. If it does in fact have a leveling kit and you still want more height then you'll be looking at a full 4" lift to get it up. At that height there are a number of items that need to be address to keep the front suspension and driveline geometry correct which is why a full lift kit is needed.

No the Bilstein struts are for the front end only. The back of your truck has separate coil springs and shocks. To lift that you would either need taller coil springs or coil spring spacers.

OP
OP
D

Dano86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You'll want to find out what it has on the front end for sure before going further.

You can't stack Bilsteins and leveling spacers. If it does in fact have a leveling kit and you still want more height then you'll be looking at a full 4" lift to get it up. At that height there are a number of items that need to be address to keep the front suspension and driveline geometry correct which is why a full lift kit is needed.

No the Bilstein struts are for the front end only. The back of your truck has separate coil springs and shocks. To lift that you would either need taller coil springs or coil spring spacers.

Perfect. That is exactly what I wanted to know! Thank you!