So I'm having some trouble...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's been about a month now since I've put my 5100's on and the 20" octanes with the BFG AT KO's and I've still got a vibration going on.

I had the truck aligned after the install, that helped a little. I had the tires rebalanced locally and that helped a little more. I went back last week and retorqued the suspension parts too.

It seems to appear at freeway speeds over 60 mph. It was mainly in the front end but last night it seemed to appear in the rear alternately now too. Could it just be the tire tread on the pavement? I'm running 42 PSI in the tires, should I increase that?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It's probably a combo of road and the bfg's. I had those on a Silverado I had. Don't really remember if I felt any vibrations

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's always possible that you got some junk tires. Being BFGs, thats pretty rare, but it happened to my Dad with 285/75R16s before.
He got new tires, and the damned thing had like 5 Oz of weight on the wheel. I took his truck right back to Discount and said "gimme a new tire, this is ****" and with a bit of argument, they did. See if you have a big pile a wheel weights.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can you clarify? If I read your other posts correctly, you leveled first on the stock wheels. Then recently put on the new wheels? But you did not have this prob on the stock wheels? Is that right?

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was just getting ready to ask that!:banana-mario:

If the answer is no, I can almost guarantee that's the issue.

The wheels came with rings which I did put on. I didn't check to see if they were reinstalled correctly after I got them rebalanced.

Can you clarify? If I read your other posts correctly, you leveled first on the stock wheels. Then recently put on the new wheels? But you did not have this prob on the stock wheels? Is that right?

I did the level and new tires within 24hrs of each other. Once I got the level on, I needed to get different lug nuts so I had to wait a day to go down to 4 Wheel Parts and snag some. The truck was aligned with the new wheels on also.

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's always possible that you got some junk tires. Being BFGs, thats pretty rare, but it happened to my Dad with 285/75R16s before.
He got new tires, and the damned thing had like 5 Oz of weight on the wheel. I took his truck right back to Discount and said "gimme a new tire, this is ****" and with a bit of argument, they did. See if you have a big pile a wheel weights.

I hope that's not the case, since I bought them from the web. I don't recall seeing a big pile of weights but I'll look again.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The wheels came with rings which I did put on. I didn't check to see if they were reinstalled correctly after I got them rebalanced.

I did the level and new tires within 24hrs of each other. Once I got the level on, I needed to get different lug nuts so I had to wait a day to go down to 4 Wheel Parts and snag some. The truck was aligned with the new wheels on also.

Oh, ok. Well that just sucks. Does it do it on all roads at the same speed? Maybe some weird harmonics between the tire and road. Hopefully when the tires get a little broken in it will stop. I'm gonna put those very tires on mine next time and I hope to not have this prob.

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh, ok. Well that just sucks. Does it do it on all roads at the same speed? Maybe some weird harmonics between the tire and road. Hopefully when the tires get a little broken in it will stop. I'm gonna put those very tires on mine next time and I hope to not have this prob.

Yeah, it's weird. I'll start out and it'll feel fine at speed, then start to oscillate up front, you can see the steering wheel tracking with the wobble. Then it goes away. Comes back later now feeling it in the seat. I'm going to try to swap the tires front to back too and see if that helps narrow down the issue. Just looking for other advice.

I've had a few friends who have had these tires on other vehicles and they loved them.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Were the spacers "hubcentric" if not the spacers are not "balanced" and will cause vibrations. What spacers did you buy? Link to them if possible

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 4 Beta

OP
OP
Sharp Charge

Sharp Charge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I didn't buy separate spacers. The wheels had what appeared to be a hubcentric spacer in a little bag with the sale paperwork. They were tapered on 1 side and flat on the other. They fit right into the hub hole on the wheel. They looked like this:
SN-HR__13226_zoom.jpg

Last edited: