Solution to leveling problems on new ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dante221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
OK but what about tire rub??

Hi Guys
Thanks for the info ! I will be placing an order for Zone Offroad
upper control arms. NOW are these significantly larger so as to rub
a larger front tire?. I had hoped to place Toyo ATII in 295/65R/20 on stock rims which
just fits without rubbing or spacers. Perhaps I should scale back to
a smaller tire?
Thanks so much for your help :whymewhyme:
Dante

PS See my post below re Zone Offroad install instructions!

Arctic-Rodz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
6.7L Cummins
im surprised about this as well. wondering what the lift companies are doing about this, if anything?

ive been running an HBS 2.5" spacer for a couple thousand miles now and haven't noticed anything different. Still on stock tires.

is the problem with a spacer alone or running a spacer in conjunction with an aftermarket lift or lift shocks (bilsteins)

War Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi Guys
Thanks for the info ! I will be placing an order for Zone Offroad
upper control arms. NOW are these significantly larger so as to rub
a larger front tire?. I had hoped to place Toyo ATII in 295/65R/20 which
just fits without rubbing or spacers. Perhaps I should scale back to
a smaller tire?
Thanks so much for your help :whymewhyme:
Dante

I ran 38x13.50s without any clearance issues with the zone arms. That was with 20x10s with 5" backspacing

OP
OP
D

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just have the spacer nothing else. Just to see if you fit your finger nail between the upper arm and the ball joint. The gap between the 2 stared very slightly but I've noticed it getting worst

Dante221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Level officially ON HOLD

Good Morning All
Well I am VERY glad I did not go ahead with my Bilstein level and
295/65R/20s on stock rims. I am back in research mode :Caffeine: until I get
this sorted out. So far I have the Bilsteins in the box and will place the order for the upper control arms soon but NOTHING is getting installed until I'm sure.
:wtf2::wtf2::wtf2::wtf2::wtf2::wtf2:
Dante

BIG PS:Zone Offroad installation instructions say DO NOT use their
upper control arms with Bilstein leveling struts! Now I am REALLY confused!

Poleclimber

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500
Engine
Is this a 1500 problem only or are the 2500s having the same issue? I've got a 2014 2500 I was planning on leveling. Thanks

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We have an off road shop here in quebec city that install that kind of stuff, and they have a leveling kit that will retain all factory angle . They warranty their kit for 60 000 km , and all dealer in quebec will retain the front end warranty if the job is done by this shop.

I don't know what they are doing on the truck but it seem succesful. I didn't leveled my truck for now but I have a friend who got his truck leveled before he bought it, and 26 000 km later he got no problem so far with nothing.

I've heard the leveled the transfer case too, but i'm not sure exactly...

preachp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi All,

Excuse my ignorance, but am I understanding that by leveling the truck you are putting extra stress on the upper ball joints and it creating a wear and possibly separation problem?
If yes, then what happens if you carry 1000 lbs a lot of the time? I mean it IS a truck right?
If the above is correct then NHTSA needs to step in. This is definitely a safety issue as ball joint failure WILL cause a steering failure.
Am I off the mark hear or what?

preachp

Westwind1124a

Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 ZR2Hd
Engine
6.6 Duramax
Hi All,

Excuse my ignorance, but am I understanding that by leveling the truck you are putting extra stress on the upper ball joints and it creating a wear and possibly separation problem?
If yes, then what happens if you carry 1000 lbs a lot of the time? I mean it IS a truck right?
If the above is correct then NHTSA needs to step in. This is definitely a safety issue as ball joint failure WILL cause a steering failure.
Am I off the mark hear or what?

preachp

I'm sure that they have tested extensively for carrying payload and trailering. The problem is when the suspension is changed from its original geometry. Hopefully the nhtsa doesn't step in. They'd probably just try to ban level kits.

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IMO the stock upper control arms on the new trucks don't match the quality of the lowers anyway for some reason, so upgrading is not a bad idea if the truck is a keeper. Not sure which brand is better. Maybe some peeps can chime in with their experiences that have changed them.

i went with the Zone UCA's. they look real beefy compared to the old UCA and the ball joint appears to be pressed in better. in late 2013, Ram apparently changed the UCA to a stamped steel UCA and my ball joints popped out during install of my spacers...

ball joints popped...

photo1-2_zps56b077e6.jpg

i too had to weld mine, but wasnt comfortable with that idea...

The Zone arms have a ball joint that has a larger amount of movement, plus the arm is slightly longer moving the ball joint more over the top of the steering knuckle. That helps to correct the geometry problem

here is a good comparison shot of both UCA's...

photo1-8_zpse8b75319.jpg

Does this affect only the 2013-2014 or all 4th Gen's?

Angel

"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"

late 2013 to 2014 models as far as im aware (this is when the UCA changed). search my thread with the starcase for the issue.

Hello
Forgive the newbie question but what control arm are you switching to?
can you recommend a source and part number?
I have Bilsteins ready to install.
Thanks for youe help!!!

Dante :worthy:

the install instructions specifically state the zone UCAs are not for use with the Bilstein Struts.

For that fact, i have yet to hear an issue with the Bilstein setup.

according to my dealer when they gave me the starcase, the Bilstein were not causing the same issues. just spacer levels.

Last edited:

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for that comparison pic lobster. You can really see that difference. Just the thickness alone makes u think.

Angel

"worrying about MPG in a truck is like looking at a Prius tow rating"

War Machine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BIG PS:Zone Offroad installation instructions say DO NOT use their
upper control arms with Bilstein leveling struts! Now I am REALLY confused!

That's because the control arms are also available as a package with a level kit. The instructions are for the combo kit. Just look at the part number for the 2 different ways the control arms are sold. They don't want you combining a level kit and lift strut

Dante221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.9
Thanks!

That's because the control arms are also available as a package with a level kit. The instructions are for the combo kit. Just look at the part number for the 2 different ways the control arms are sold. They don't want you combining a level kit and lift strut

Thanks War machine :***:
I will be on the phone with them tomorrow and be certain to get the right part.
Do you think their larger dimensions will necessitate a smaller width tire
than a 295/65R/20?
Dante

PS Upper Control Arms ordered 3/31/14
Due in a couple of days

OP
OP
D

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered Icon upper arms with 1in uniballs, however there are on back order for 3 weeks :(

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just bought a 2.5 inch billet level kit for my 2012 1500 4x4. This shouldnt happen? I was talking with a hardcore 4x4 shop owner and he had mentioned replacing the knuckles or something when installing a level kit. maybe thats for the 13s and up?

BMD

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 x1 and 2014 x2
Engine
Hemi
Thanks War machine :***:
I will be on the phone with them tomorrow and be certain to get the right part.
Do you think their larger dimensions will necessitate a smaller width tire
than a 295/65R/20?
Dante

PS Upper Control Arms ordered 3/31/14
Due in a couple of days

Might need spacer if on factory wheel

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye