SPACER LEVEL KIT = STAR case 2014 Ram

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
Ordered my zone uppers today from Bully's Performance. Great price and they have the best communication. And a great knowledge of our trucks. I would check them out if your needing these arms like I am on you lifted Ram.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

iam_canadian22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ordered my zone uppers today from Bully's Performance. Great price and they have the best communication. And a great knowledge of our trucks. I would check them out if your needing these arms like I am on you lifted Ram.

checked bully's website for pricing and cant find them on there

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
Email them. They have a lot of stuff not showing on their website.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2013 Ram 1500 Crew Cab 4WD.. Larime

just bought my first truck look for advice on leveling kits i did some research
and i am leaning toward buying bilsteins 5100 series adjustable shock to level the front on the truck..

im lookin for some feedback on this idea.. good idea? or no?

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
put upper arms on at the same time you do the leveling kit.. 5100 are nice I would of got them but they were out of stock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok thanks for the info. How about zone off road upper controll arms ? I was thinkin those with the 5100's?

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
2009-2014 Dodge Ram Control Arms - ReadyLIFT 44-1000 - ReadyLIFT Off Road Upper Control Arm Kit

Anyone look at these ready lift Ucas? They have 3 grease fittings, not sure if the ball joint is removable like on the zone Ucas. I have 4 bilsteins sitting in a box, won't put on unless I upgrade right. Any thoughts?

Uni ball instead of ball joint. Plus more expensive. I think uni ball joints have more upkeep and dont last as long. But I'm not sure on that.

11BPSMIKE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is anyone using the zone upper arms with stock 20"wheels, there is no fitment issues is there?

dirtridersr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had uniballs on my f150 and after 3 years still no play in them plus there generally stronger

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
To all the people asking if it happens with brand A B or C. It is height dependant, which causes poor ball joint geometry. It has nothing to do with brand or spacer/strut lifts

This isn't entirely correct, sorry, it isn't only height dependent. It's dependent on overextension to the downside, and extension limit is controlled by the shock on the Ram IFS (as opposed to a bump stop on other designs). A simple strut spacer will move the entire spring and shock assembly down. If you've moved the shock down, you've also moved the suspension's limiting factor down, and that will stress the ball joints on hard bumps that fully extend the suspension. Bilsteins, Rancho quick lift, etc., move the bottom of the spring up instead, and get lift by increasing spring rate and/or preload, so they don't allow for the overextension that the spacer creates.

Basically, any mod that allows for more travel than stock to the downside is going to be a problem with these control arms and ball joints.

The thing that worries me about the Bilsteins is that they say that in addition to increasing spring preload to raise the truck, they also allow for 'some' additional travel at the shock. They don't say how much though. That extra travel could be an issue.

In any case, the leveling shocks are clearly a better option given the issues outlined above. No way would I put spacers on my truck, and Ram obviously agrees.

Great thread, though, guys. I'm ordering a 2014 that I'm leveling and this is very helpful information.

I'd still like to know if anyone with stock suspension other than Bilstein's at 2.1 has had a problem. I've only seen one person mention a problem, but they have other suspension lift parts in place, so it's not apples-to-apples.

OP
OP
L

Lobster Poutine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ok.

so i never really looked all that closely when the zone UCAs were installed two weeks ago, but i thought id take a look underneath the truck today to see how everything is holding up. am i loosing my mind, or are these ball joints now coming unseated from the bottom?

photo1-1_zps48a08059.jpg

photo2-1_zps36bff059.jpg

photo4_zps6ed56f82.jpg

photo3-1_zps08409611.jpg

:doh:

im guessing they are not because the top seems to be in place, but it does look weird...and of course i beleive i feel a little rattle and clunk when turning the wheels in the front...

photo-1_zpsaa581ebc.jpg

thanks!

tripower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That ball joint looks fine to me. It comes out from the top, not the bottom.

I doubt the Zone ball joint could come out, given the design. If they failed, they would just snap off at the shank. Just hope you aren't at speed if it happens!

Djeazie

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hemi
Have not installed mine yet and the ball joint sticks out like that on my brand new ones. Your good!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Revtek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
I know I am late to this topic, but, Tripower is right. The ball joint troubles are a result of making the strut physically longer. When you use a 5100 or a strut top spacer you are making your upper and lower control arms be farther apart. Using a method like the Revtek preload lift, will not make the strut longer and therefor will not cause the stress on the ball joint. Also you would not need a control arm or ball joint for the upper either.

smurfs_of_war

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Rancho answer

Re: Rancho Quicklift

I have a late '13 and have had the Rancho setup for months and they do not exhibit this problem. My UCA is almost perfectly horizontal still and the ball joints are well within their specified range.

What I am seeing in the original photos is a ball joint that is being levered out of its seat when the suspension droops enough to bottom it out. The stem levers on the joint and will work it out, like opening a bottle of beer.

Last edited:

Forcepro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Re: Rancho Quicklift

I have a late '13 and have had the Rancho setup for months and they do not exhibit this problem. My UCA is almost perfectly horizontal still and the ball joints are well within their specified range.

What I am seeing in the original photos is a ball joint that is being levered out of its seat when the suspension droops enough to bottom it out. The stem levers on the joint and will work it out, like opening a bottle of beer.

Same, I have a few hundred miles on my Ranchos and just checked my UCA balljoints and they look perfect.