A/T expectations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nocturnalsst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm interested to hear what others have noticed when going from the factory all seasons to a set of all terrain tires.

Should a lower grip on the road be expected? Excess sway at higher speeds? Manners while towing, noise, etc.

What have you noticed with the switch?

DannyMK2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
with how bad the factory good years are, i would say its an improvement across the board, except maybe slightly more road noise.

OP
OP
N

Nocturnalsst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently went to a 275/65R20 bfg KO2 tire, and it feels noticably more unstable when making abrupt maneuvers. I havent had them in an actual emergency situation yet, but my confidence in their street holding power is already diminished.

I have them at 50psi right now, going to set at 60psi later today and see how they feel. They have a max of 80.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My A/T's are amazing on and off the road. The rain traction is what is on another level. Mine have 30k miies on them, still have well over half the tread, and havent lost any of my love in rain. Terra Grappler G2's. The are not a quiet as a street tire, but the low hum is well worth the tread life and grip.

dan1911

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I love my Toto AT2 extremes. I have them on as a DD and weekend off roader. No, I'm not as capable as the MT guys but doesn't stop me from getting dirty [emoji12]
I air 55 up front and 50 in the and feel super stable rain or shine. Definitely more road noise that factory rubber but I'm also running their luggier "extreme" sizes. This is the second set I've owned and would probably get them again

Sent via telepathy

OP
OP
N

Nocturnalsst

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I aired all 4 up to 60psi and the rear end sway seems to have gone away some. But it still feels as though the truck could be thrown out of control far easier than the 25k miles I put on it with the sr-a's.

reb0957

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
I just went through the process of finding tires. Just because the tire says it can handle 80PSI doesn't mean you need it aired that high. Once we get into taller tires, us 1/2 ton trucks are forced into 8 or 10 ply tires. I had 295/60/20's on my 14 2500 and had to get the computer reprogrammed to 45PSI. That was the only way I could get the tires to run flat across the whole tread. I knew when towing I needed the extra air pressure and adjusted accordingly.
If it says 80PSI you are running a 10ply tire on a 1/2 ton truck. The tires themselves are overkill. The tires are dramatically stiffer than factory and with anything more than 40PSI on a truck that light you are just wearing out the the center tread. MY AT's get installed tomorrow. I promise there wont be more than40PSI of air in them.