TGC rear spacer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Hey guys, I installed the 5100s at 2.8 and wanted to avoid being nose high. So I ordered the top gun customz .75" poly spacer. Instructions said to mount on top of the spring, as did someones elses install writeup. IMO these are not well engineered to be on top. It was the most frustrating hour, trying to perfectly line them up while raising the rear end, just to realize they weren't lined up. The top hole needs to be about an inch larger, and the bottom should be larger as well with a lip for the spring to stay seated. I finally got them close to lined up and I have no confidence in it, seems dangerous. I ended up putting them on the bottom and it fits perfect. But I'm still not happy with the design. I will be searching for something better in the meantime. Here's a pic with them installed on the bottom.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 197
OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
mine work fine and have run 3/4 and 1.5....both on top

I should have taken measurements. There is a lot of wiggle room, and if they're not lined up perfectly with the spring on top when you lift the rear end, You can look up and see the offset. It very well may work, but I think it's a poor design. Everything should just fit snug. That's what I'm saying. If yours did fit up there just right, then maybe they sent me some different ones.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I know you have the poly spacer but I have the TGC 1" steel spacer and it works like a champ. No noises either and I have had the truck offroad with the fear flexed out and compressed. Heck, only noise I hear are the airbags sqeaking a bit inside the coils.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So the best way I could explain it, without taking it apart and taking pictures... Lets say the hole in the frame is 3".. The top of the spacer would be 2.5". Thats wiggle room. Now lets say the plastic piece on top of the spring has an inside hole thats 4". The spacer sits on top of that hole and the diameter of the spacer (without actual measurement) is 4.2". That barely covers the hole on top of the spring, then add wiggle room in the frame. I'm starting to think I have something different. I think they fit perfectly on the bottom though. Kind of weird.

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you sure they were supposed to be installed on the top of the spring? I installed them on the bottom of my spring without even giving it a second thought (pretty sure something, somewhere, told me they went on the bottom), and I would hate to find out I did it incorrectly.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My instructions said top, but as I said they just fit too well on the bottom. I will call tgc when I get 30 mins sometime.

Thatdude596

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 ram big horn
Engine
Hemi
you don't have to take my word

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-12-14-18-29-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-12-14-18-29-21.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 165
OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I called tgc today. The guy on the phone seemed like it was ridiculous to install them on the bottom. They're requesting pics. Wont be until this weekend that I can take it apart again. I will update.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Enscheff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
From what I remember the spring cups were much larger than the bottom so it was the only place they would fit

tdramman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4
Engine
could Bils be installed in the rear at 2.8 and Bils in front be at 2.1 be the same as installing a spacer?

Metalizer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
could Bils be installed in the rear at 2.8 and Bils in front be at 2.1 be the same as installing a spacer?
Putting 5100 in the rear won't help you lift it. You need the spacer.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
They are two different shocks. The rear gets it's lift from the spring which is separate from the shock. So spacers for the spring is the only way, except obviously getting a longer spring.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Gentlemen! I just watched a youtube video of a rear spacer install. There was something (cylinder type) coming from the top down about halfway down the spring. I don't have this on my 15' and that may be our issues.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I went out and snapped a picture of how the spring looks on mine. Would be appreciated if someone would compare with their non 15'. I have nothing but a hole up top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 472