Is there any benefit of doing the Bilstein's for leveling over the cheaper kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BeachinIt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI.
I see some kits that look like they simply raise the front end, whereas the Bilstein's are adjustable shocks. What are the major differences/benefits of each? Need to get leveling done before I do my wheels and I'd like to keep price down, but I also don't want to skimp on quality. Thanks.

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought bilstein was the cheaper kit lol.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Theres a ton of reasons all explained in the Bilstein thread. Suspension, driveline, and so on geometry.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Spacers bind up your front suspension by putting your front springs in a state of compression. It is a much harsher ride and likely will harm stuff like ball joints and other connection points near the binded up spring. I had a spacer, the ride was so harsh I paid for the bils, been happy with them.

Here was my experience.

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
spacers do not bind up your suspension and go on top of the spring and do not compress them any !
They are not going to be any harder on the suspension then installing a set of bils at the same height.
All your doing with both is making the hole shock/strut package longer, basically pushing the a-arm down futher and increasing the height of the truck.
The bils just offer a better shock then the oem shock which helps it to ride better.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
spacers do not bind up your suspension and go on top of the spring and do not compress them any !
They are not going to be any harder on the suspension then installing a set of bils at the same height.
All your doing with both is making the hole shock/strut package longer, basically pushing the a-arm down futher and increasing the height of the truck.
The bils just offer a better shock then the oem shock which helps it to ride better.

actually bilsteins raise the spring perch which compresses the spring more thus raising the front. The benefit of the bilstein is that it doesn't increase the overall strut length like a spacer does. This is good becuase it doesn't allow the uca to extend down further than stock which would put more strain on the ball joint

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
actually bilsteins raise the spring perch which compresses the spring more thus raising the front. The benefit of the bilstein is that it doesn't increase the overall strut length like a spacer does. This is good becuase it doesn't allow the uca to extend down further than stock which would put more strain on the ball joint

This is correct. The bilsteins preload the spring and keep wheel travel the same as factory. A spacer will add down travel to the suspension which is what destroys ball joints and cvs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schu3507

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8
I know that this for what it's worth...I'm a lunatic wt my cars. I've owner over 35 cars, new and old. Mostly BMWs. If I thought the rough country leveling kit rode rough or made the ride stiff I'd rip out and replace tomorrow. I noticed zero difference from stock. Truck had 800 miles when I did it and has 1500 now. Seems exactly same. That being said I swear tires I put on 200 miles ago got louder on highway!!!
Now if the little extra coin for bilstiens help ya sleep...get em, but for 80$ I can't see any difference of stock. Have good weekend y'all.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
They have to increase the distance from the top of the strut to the bottom and make it longer in order to raise the truck simply making the spring stiffer by compressing it is not going to do this shoot compressing the spring actually makes it shorter hence the word compress.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
You compress the spring more which preloads it. The bilstein shock is not and does not need to be longer.....have you ever preloaded the rear spring on a dirt bike? Same concept. The whole assembly didn't get longer to lessen the sag

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Yes I built lift kits for atvs and know how compressing the spring to get a slight increase in lift is achieved.
If you are getting 2.8" of lift by compressing the spring the truck would ride like crap not better it would be way stiff.
The bils are just lifting the bottom instead of the top as the normal spacer is doing, if I am wrong I will just go put a spacer under my spring and get a 2.8" lift and so would everyone else.
Now going from a 2.1" lift to a 2.8" lift might just be compressing the spring but that first 2.1" is coming from a longer strut.

Not saying the bils are not a better way to go because you get a better quality strut then the oem one but if you think your ball joints and other parts are going to last longer your wrong, its still increasing the angle on the a arms which is putting stress on all the parts just like the spacer does at the top.

Last edited:

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Have you physically measured a bilstein vs a stock strut? I have not, but I installed bilsteins and I know that the adjustability is through raising the spring perch and compressing the spring and even at 2.1 the spring is compressed more than stock.

Truthfully I feel that the whole "bilsteins ride better than stock or better than spacers" is a farce. I had spacers on my 2011 and now bilsteins on my 2016. I can't tell a difference. I will get bashed for this but I think this conception started to justify spending more than double for the bilsteins and once one person said it was better others followed suit. Again this is my opinion

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
I put 2.5" spacers on my 2011 shortly after purchase. Ride quality is comparable to stock was before the spacers. Some bumps do feel a bit stiffer at times but not bothersome.

If I was going to do it over again on this truck I would've done the Bils....For the sole reason that I put the spacers on with 110k miles on the truck. Struts probably should've been replaced for age anyway....and something I'll have to deal with sooner than later.

On a lower mileage truck I'd have no concern saving the money for something else and doing spacers again.

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I put 2.5" spacers on my 2011 shortly after purchase. Ride quality is comparable to stock was before the spacers. Some bumps do feel a bit stiffer at times but not bothersome.

If I was going to do it over again on this truck I would've done the Bils....For the sole reason that I put the spacers on with 110k miles on the truck. Struts probably should've been replaced for age anyway....and something I'll have to deal with sooner than later.

On a lower mileage truck I'd have no concern saving the money for something else and doing spacers again.

Post a pic of your upper control arm now with the spacers on.

nateinva

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie CC
Engine
5.7L
Post a pic of your upper control arm now with the spacers on.
Bad angle manuevering phone around the tire but here's a pic.

b57071b54750a81fa28e318961344674.jpg

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I built lift kits for atvs and know how compressing the spring to get a slight increase in lift is achieved.
If you are getting 2.8" of lift by compressing the spring the truck would ride like crap not better it would be way stiff.
The bils are just lifting the bottom instead of the top as the normal spacer is doing, if I am wrong I will just go put a spacer under my spring and get a 2.8" lift and so would everyone else.
Now going from a 2.1" lift to a 2.8" lift might just be compressing the spring but that first 2.1" is coming from a longer strut.

Not saying the bils are not a better way to go because you get a better quality strut then the oem one but if you think your ball joints and other parts are going to last longer your wrong, its still increasing the angle on the a arms which is putting stress on all the parts just like the spacer does at the top.

It's all about angles. The lift ratio is not 1:1. Just moving the spring up an inch and half would get almost 3" of lift. Go look at pictures of the bilstein 5100 next to a oem strut, they are the exact same length. I have done the install and I had them laying side by side

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Bad angle manuevering phone around the tire but here's a pic.

b57071b54750a81fa28e318961344674.jpg

Yea can't really see the ball joint like I was hoping to but doesn't look like the ball joint is in a bad angle.

Last edited: