Tire sizing/Wheels/Spacing????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Couple more questions regarding my potential truck lift.

1.) I have the stock 18" rims that came with my truck. I know I might have to throw spacers in there for proper backspacing and such after my lift (most likely 6" lift) but I always get confused with tire sizing. Will 35x13.5x18 or 37x12.5x18s fit on the stock 18" ram rims??

2.) If not, is it easier, more common, cheaper, etc etc to get smaller rims? Like say 16" or 17" and then throw the equivalent sized tires on?

3.) How to people handle spacing typically. Just purchase spacers or buy new rims with the appropriate backspacing.

I appreciate any and all help.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
The newer generation's have a limit to the the size of wheel you can put on when going smaller. Not sure if 16's will work. With spacers, you hear good and bad from them. I passed on the spacers and bought new wheels off ebay to prevent the usage of them. My advise is go with new wheels. Having a neutral or slightly negative offset will be better on your front hubs than using spacers.

Shawn226

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L EcoDiesel
17 inch wheels will give you the cheapest prices in XL tires suck as 35's or 37's. just buy new wheels. running a spacer that large just seems sketchy to me, that may be just personal opinion, but nevertheless, wheel and tire packages that are already mounted and balanced aren't a horrible deal.

fastNugly

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge Ram Sport CC
Engine
Hemi 5.7
17 inch wheels will give you the cheapest prices in XL tires suck as 35's or 37's. just buy new wheels. running a spacer that large just seems sketchy to me, that may be just personal opinion, but nevertheless, wheel and tire packages that are already mounted and balanced aren't a horrible deal.

Agree with this.
Use spacers as a temporary solution if an employee tire wheel package is out of the question.
When we provide lift kits along with wheel packages we get this as a question quite often.

If you do wheel spacers, make sure it's hub centric and make sure you check the torque often
But as mentioned 17's and 18's packages are priced pretty well.
Our wheel packages come mounted and balanced, center caps and wheel hardware and wheel lugs to make it easy for an install.

My motto is, do it right the first time. Rather than wasting $$

OP
OP
M

McGrizzENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Roger that. Hence why I am asking about all of this first versus learning the hard way. Thank you for that. I will save up then and look into getting the correctly spaced wheels.