Told I can't level my 2011 Ram 1500 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J.Mar12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to a shop (Les Schwab Tires) to get my truck leveled and I was told that they messed up and ordered spacers for a 4wd. I asked if they can order the spacers for a 2wd and they said that they can't get them and the company wouldn't let them do it if they could due to the extreme amount of misalignment there would be. I normally do all the work to my vehicles but I had shoulder surgery a month ago and I am not able to do the level. I have done extensive research and haven't heard of people that level their 2wds having major issues with misalignment. What are your thoughts on the situation? Is there really major issues with alignment? Would I need longer shocks? Does this sound right to you guys?

Thanks in advance

N1ck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bilstein 5100's?

Those are 4wd, OP has 2wd.

You can definitely run a level, I did on my 2015 with no issues. Search the forum, there is a length 2wd Maxtrac thread.

jdwildman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I leveled and lifted my 2011 2wd with a MaxTrac kit. Shop did it for me, but they didn't know about MaxTrac before I brought them the parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

J.Mar12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for all the help. I ended up going with the MaxTrac 872171 from their site. It's a 2.5" complete coil replacement lift with new shocks. I didn't want to compromise the ride quality by compressing the springs with a spacer and getting a stiff ride. I went ahead and spent more so I would have no regrets and I surely don't. The ride quality is pretty much the same as stock. I don't even notice a difference. I went ahead and did the install myself in about 3.5 hours but that was with interruptions and having to go through my messy tool box to find all the right tools. I did the second side in about 45-50 minutes but that was due to having all the tools I needed right in front of me and no interruptions. I took before and after dimensions from the bottom of the rim to the peak of the wheel well and they are:

Before:

Front Driver - 31"
Front Passenger - 31"

After:

Front Driver - 33"
Front Passenger - 33"

It has been about a week and a half and a couple hundred miles since I installed so I'm sure it has done all of its settling. There is a 1.25"-1.5" difference from front to back which I am perfectly fine with because I will ride about level when there is something in the bed and I won't be aiming for the sky. All in all, I could not be more happy with these lift springs. Now I actually have some room between the front tire and wheel well and you can't really notice the difference between the front and back. Thank you all again.

Raminwil

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram LongHorn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is a 1.25"-1.5" difference from front to back which I am perfectly fine with because I will ride about level when there is something in the bed and I won't be aiming for the sky.

You lifted the front 2in (measuring tape) and you still have a 1.25-1.5 difference front to back?
Thats crazy I only had a 1.5in difference from the factory.

dkmesa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for all the help. I ended up going with the MaxTrac 872171 from their site. It's a 2.5" complete coil replacement lift with new shocks. I didn't want to compromise the ride quality by compressing the springs with a spacer and getting a stiff ride. I went ahead and spent more so I would have no regrets and I surely don't. The ride quality is pretty much the same as stock. I don't even notice a difference. I went ahead and did the install myself in about 3.5 hours but that was with interruptions and having to go through my messy tool box to find all the right tools. I did the second side in about 45-50 minutes but that was due to having all the tools I needed right in front of me and no interruptions. I took before and after dimensions from the bottom of the rim to the peak of the wheel well and they are:

Before:

Front Driver - 31"
Front Passenger - 31"

After:

Front Driver - 33"
Front Passenger - 33"

It has been about a week and a half and a couple hundred miles since I installed so I'm sure it has done all of its settling. There is a 1.25"-1.5" difference from front to back which I am perfectly fine with because I will ride about level when there is something in the bed and I won't be aiming for the sky. All in all, I could not be more happy with these lift springs. Now I actually have some room between the front tire and wheel well and you can't really notice the difference between the front and back. Thank you all again.

Do you mind sharing before and after pictures?

1bad15RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went to a shop (Les Schwab Tires) to get my truck leveled and I was told that they messed up and ordered spacers for a 4wd. I asked if they can order the spacers for a 2wd and they said that they can't get them and the company wouldn't let them do it if they could due to the extreme amount of misalignment there would be. I normally do all the work to my vehicles but I had shoulder surgery a month ago and I am not able to do the level. I have done extensive research and haven't heard of people that level their 2wds having major issues with misalignment. What are your thoughts on the situation? Is there really major issues with alignment? Would I need longer shocks? Does this sound right to you guys?

Thanks in advance

Go to a new shop. Tell the old shop to use the free tool Google next time

Jayc057

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Before:

Front Driver - 31"
Front Passenger - 31"

After:

Front Driver - 33"
Front Passenger - 33"

This was the exact information I have been searching for. I definitely want my truck level but didn't want to go low in the back. I'm glad it worked out for you. If you get a chance I second the motion for a before and after picture.

OP
OP
J

J.Mar12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'll have to take an after picture tomorrow. I have a before but I'll post them together on my post tomorrow. I'll put up the before for now to let you see how low it was before. In regards to lowering, I use my truck a lot and I'm always hauling stuff. I need the payload/clearance in the rear so lowering was out of the question for me. Thanks for the recommendation though.

Attachments

• 20170418_174707.jpg
    20170418_174707.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
J

J.Mar12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is a before and after of the lift coils. It's a little hard to see the space between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender in the after picture but as you can see, you cannot even tell that the rear is 1.25-1.5" higher. I'm not a fan of the running boards that have been on the truck since I've bought it but in my case, functionality beats aesthetics. My wife is 5'2" and cannot get in without them. Let me know if anyone has ideas on another set that doesn't stand out as much.

Attachments

• 20170418_174707.jpg
    20170418_174707.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 20170503_105333.jpg
    20170503_105333.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 45

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
Lower it, it looks and handles waaay better anyway.

the looks part is opinion lol, but i'm sure it does handle better due to lower center of gravity