Two questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It seems like one guy on here with the 2015 had a UCA issue and that pretty much made the new word "anything over 2.1, you need upgraded UCAs" .. My 5100s should be here next week and probably won't get installed until the weekend. If I can absolutely run them at 2.8 with no worry's ... then I'll go ahead and order some 1'' spacers for the rear and do it all at one time. I despise the squat look personally. Any recommendations on rear 1'' spacers...factory shocks should be fine up to an inch correct?

I appreciate the input.

Mine was a 12, I bought it new in 11 and had bilsteins set @2.8 the whole time until I traded it in last month. No issues at all.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Mine was a 12, I bought it new in 11 and had bilsteins set @2.8 the whole time until I traded it in last month. No issues at all.

ah, supposedly the UCA problem only exist with the 2014s and up. I can only find one case of a 2015 having a problem, but none saying that they have 5100s at 2.8 without a problem.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Same people ******** about their business card holders probably.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When I started seeing those threads I looked at mine and thought they seemed pretty well built. Idk man, they're cheap if you need them for peace of mind and keep your stockers for backup.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
It seems like one guy on here with the 2015 had a UCA issue and that pretty much made the new word "anything over 2.1, you need upgraded UCAs" .. My 5100s should be here next week and probably won't get installed until the weekend. If I can absolutely run them at 2.8 with no worry's ... then I'll go ahead and order some 1'' spacers for the rear and do it all at one time. I despise the squat look personally. Any recommendations on rear 1'' spacers...factory shocks should be fine up to an inch correct?

I appreciate the input.

By theory there shouldn't be an issue at 2.8" if there's no issue at 2.1". The point where the ball joints pop is not when the truck is sitting at ride height it's when the truck is sitting on jack stands and the suspension is at full drop. That's where it would pop. But as I said, Bilsteins limit the amount of travel to OEM specs so it won't drop any further than it would stock and there for 2.8" won't drop any further than 2.1" would. It's spacer type leveling kits that increase the overall length of the strut and allow the suspension to overextend and pop the ball joint out.

Top Gun Customz is one of the main suppliers for rear coil spacers and they're cheap. Stock shocks will be fine running 1" spacers.

OP
OP
AustinB

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
5100s arrived yesterday along with bumper inserts for tow hooks I bought a couple weeks ago. Ordered .75 poly rear spacer from topgunz about an hour ago (thanks for the recomendation). I'm back to the 17" wheels, mind is made up. Anybody running a 17x9 with -12 offset (35x12.50 toyo, nitto m/t) without any rubbing issues? I know the safe bet is 0, but so many more wheel options in -12.

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
5100s arrived yesterday along with bumper inserts for tow hooks I bought a couple weeks ago. Ordered .75 poly rear spacer from topgunz about an hour ago (thanks for the recomendation). I'm back to the 17" wheels, mind is made up. Anybody running a 17x9 with -12 offset (35x12.50 toyo, nitto m/t) without any rubbing issues? I know the safe bet is 0, but so many more wheel options in -12.

With Bilsteins at 2.8" you shouldn't have any rubbing issues with a 17x9 -12 offset and 35x12.5's. If anything they may rub the plastic fender liner when near full lock in reverse. But they should clear.