Upgrading to Bilsteins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I'm having my rear shocks replaced under warranty and I want to have the fronts replaced as well but the dealer doesn't think they need to be replaced..so instead of buying new front OEM shocks, I just ordered Bilstein 5100s.

The Bilsteins are actually cheaper than the front OEMs after checking with 2 dealers :crazy:

My question is..if I have them set at 2.5", will the height be the same as what I have now with the HBS 2.5" level? I want to get it all done at the dealer at the same time with the alignment, they're pretty mod friendly.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On your 2010 you can have 2.1 or 2.8. But not 2.5. So, you'll have to decide which one to go with.

OP
OP
HemiRoar

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Oh ok. Thank you..think I'll go with 2.1 in that case, probably sit the same as the 2.5" spacers as those tend to settle anyway.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Post up some pics when you get it done.

OP
OP
HemiRoar

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
local performance parts store in Toronto called Tdotperformance

RAMYOU

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What is the difference between bilstein amd fox? Which one is better for offroad/dirt road? And correct me if im wrong but bilstein is a shock right? And are you guys talking about setting your shocks at a taller level? If you do that dont u also have to increase the length of your springs?

SuperTrooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The bilsteins are adjustable strut shocks that add preload to the front. Doesn't change the length or the spring at all. They adjust up to 2.8". ProComp pro runners are similar. I'm not sure if fox has anything similar or not.

h2oman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the difference between bilstein amd fox? Which one is better for offroad/dirt road? And correct me if im wrong but bilstein is a shock right? And are you guys talking about setting your shocks at a taller level? If you do that dont u also have to increase the length of your springs?

Fox 2.0 Coilovers are badass. They are infinitely adjustable without having to remove them. Just use the spanner. They are a bit pricey but they come with Eibach coils.
2.0 Performance Series Coil-over IFP Truck Shock | FOX

OP
OP
HemiRoar

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Will your dealer install the Bilsteins free of charge because of the warranty?

Yes. They're only charging me for the 4 wheel alignment..which is still $130. the bilsteins should be in tomorrow. The OEM rears, they're "on the way" per the parts guy.

Hopefully I can get some respectable $$ out of the 3 month/2000 km old hbs spacers.

OP
OP
HemiRoar

HemiRoar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Update: Today I received parts for an F150. Dealer ended up covering the front shocks under warranty too.

Still on HBS level with 2 F150 shocks to return.