Upgrading Rear Shocks - Zone 6" Lift w/ 5" Rear Coils

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'm looking to upgrade my rear shocks, the truck currently has a 6" Zone lift with the 5" rear lift option. When I ordered the lift kit I don't think I was sent the upgraded rear shocks (I was never given an option from the company I purchased it from). The truck currently has bilsteins up front and there is a very noticeable difference in feel from the front compared to the rear.

Does anyone know of any shocks I can pick up that are fairly decent w/o going through Zone? I presume they need to be longer, all I can find are setups applicable for 0 - 1", or 2 - 4" lift height setups.

gassersarentdead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I'll prolly get some fox rear shocks. I have the same lift as you. Mine came with the nitro shocks, is that what you.got?

draken

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Bilsteins do make one to compliment our 5" lift in the rear. They're just 2500 shocks instead of 1500. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i believe we can still use them even though it says its for 2500's.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I'll prolly get some fox rear shocks. I have the same lift as you. Mine came with the nitro shocks, is that what you.got?
Not too sure, my order doesn't show and I don't see anything on the shock that tells me what they are. They're just plain white and as far as I can tell have no markings.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Bilsteins do make one to compliment our 5" lift in the rear. They're just 2500 shocks instead of 1500. Someone correct me if i'm wrong but i believe we can still use them even though it says its for 2500's.
Definitely something I'll look into. Thanks!

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted

No, those will be too long for your truck. A 2500/3500 with 4-5" of rear suspension lift is much higher than a 1500 with the same amount of lift.

The shocks you have are a generic white body shock. Essentially the cheapest thing available on the market that a number of lift companies include in their kits. What you need to do is find the collapsed and extended length of that shock and then find a new shock with very similar specs. To find the specs on what you've got get the part number off either the shock or Zone's website. If you can't find it there I'd go to BDS's website and build a 6" kit and get the part number for their rear shocks as I know they provide it in the build list.

For new shocks I'd recommend either Fox 2.0's or Bilsteins.

OP
OP
Revo

Revo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
No, those will be too long for your truck. A 2500/3500 with 4-5" of rear suspension lift is much higher than a 1500 with the same amount of lift.

The shocks you have are a generic white body shock. Essentially the cheapest thing available on the market that a number of lift companies include in their kits. What you need to do is find the collapsed and extended length of that shock and then find a new shock with very similar specs. To find the specs on what you've got get the part number off either the shock or Zone's website. If you can't find it there I'd go to BDS's website and build a 6" kit and get the part number for their rear shocks as I know they provide it in the build list.

For new shocks I'd recommend either Fox 2.0's or Bilsteins.
Great, thanks. Found the part #98224759 in case anyone else comes across this thread later on. Around $250US for both (5" rear lift).