Urgent 5100 Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok so I think the washer wasn't placed in the right spot when I had my 5100s installed because I'm getting a rattling sound going over bumps. Took it to a local tire shop to have a balance done and wanted them to pull the coilivers apart while I was there. Guy told me that bilsteins were junk and the last three pairs he pulled apart fell apart and wanted to price me some new struts and labor for install at $1000. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Because I've never read about bilstein 5100s falling apart likeep that ever.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
They have a lifetime warranty. They are the stock shock on many vehicles including the Ram Rebel. There are 1000's of folks in these forums alone that have used them without issue. Now, do you really think there is a problem with them or was he just trying to make you spend your hard earned $$?

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think he was trying to rob me blind. When he said the balance was done I told him to take it off the jack I'm leaving. Just gotta find someone who will pull them apart for me without wanting to **** my wallet

Addis daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I actually had the same rattle issue when I had mine on, found out after reading that either the washer is in the wrong spot OR the top nut wasn't tightened all the way allowing for wiggle when going over bumps. So I would check the washer and or the top nut

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I would find someone you trust to take it apart with you there and see if the washer is in the wrong location. Bilsteins 5100's are not junk and don't fall apart in a short period of time

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yea he kinda lost me when he said my brand new struts that I was so proud of were junk

Backwoods

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yeah, they are trying to rip you off. I would take them back to who ever did the install.

Ram1X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like something just isn't tightened up.

OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't trust the people who originally did the install seeing as for some reason theyou had to cut a small hole in the fender liner to access the top of the coilover. I have since found a guy that's real good with front end work so it's going to him this week hopefully

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This Link below is my post of my bils 5100 install , I posted a few pointers that may help you out Sir , to include a clear understanding of where the Bilstien's supplied washer goes and why .

Hope this helps !

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1206420

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
K
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you sir! I understand where the washer needs to go, I'm calling my front end guy tomorrow to see if he's available this week. If you ever find yourself down here in tuscaloosa don't ever go to tuscaloosa tire, they'll say your bilsteins are junk and try to charge $1000 for something you don't even need lol. I'm gonna show my guy the instructions in your write up

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
LOL Well they are probably a bunch of guys from Loooosiana and are just bandwagon Alabama fans anyway

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
I have been running the Bilsteins in all four corners on my 1500 and have not had a single issue. The guy was trying to rob you blind and probably lying about everything. Anyone who says Bilstein makes junk is a clown. How many manufacturers use Bilstein in their OEM spec. Mopar has Bilsteins come on a crap ton of models from the factory. Ive never heard of any having notable issues. Once in a while there might be a defective part, but that happens with everything.

AFMoulton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
This Link below is my post of my bils 5100 install , I posted a few pointers that may help you out Sir , to include a clear understanding of where the Bilstien's supplied washer goes and why .

Hope this helps !

http://www.ramforum.com/showthread.php?p=1206420

Basically follow the instructions from Bilstein correct?? Washer, then stock stuff then install then nut, if I am reading it correctly. About to venture down this road this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Basically follow the instructions from Bilstein correct?? Washer, then stock stuff then install then nut, if I am reading it correctly. About to venture down this road this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes Sir , you are correct !