Very rough ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shiggyshaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So after a few months of research, the truck I bought with a lift already installed, rides like there is no suspension at all. It is an 09 2500, gas. The lift kit is a top gun customs 3.5"with bilstein shocks. I talked to them (top gun) sent them pictures and measurements, and they like me, argree that everything is working fine. Tire set up is nitto Terra grapplers 305/70-17 load range E(33's).

The truck rides so rough I feel like my teeth are going to fall out, the wife won't get in it, and I'm fighting it every mile. The road surfaces where I live are a mix between concrete and asphalt. I do ride on some trails, nothing to extreme. When I go over road seams or a manhole cover the truck lurches, shakes, and just all around rides like crap.

What I need help with is, which lift kit to swap to? I want to go to a 6" lift and 35" tires. The tires I have in mind are Kelley safari TSR. I had these on my old ram and loved them.

I'm not expecting a Cadillac ride, but I shouldn't have my brain scrambled.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You should consider a near Cadillac ride , I've only leveled mine with bilsteins 5100s @+ 2.8" and my truck rides better than a brand new Chevy 4 door car I rented a little while back , my 2014 4x4 with bills rides better than stock imo. So you should expect a very nice ride .

I'm not familiar with the top gun lift , but I plan on installing a BDS lift kit on my truck , lots here install Zone lifts , which is owned by BDS , and superlift seems to be popular among others @ a lesser price .

You should post pics of the lift components , may get a better response rate .

Is the rear end rough too ?

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Oh and Welcome to the Ram Forum Sir !

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You should consider a near Cadillac ride , I've only leveled mine with bilsteins 5100s @+ 2.8" and my truck rides better than a brand new Chevy 4 door car I rented a little while back , my 2014 4x4 with bills rides better than stock imo. So you should expect a very nice ride .

I'm not familiar with the top gun lift , but I plan on installing a BDS lift kit on my truck , lots here install Zone lifts , which is owned by BDS , and superlift seems to be popular among others @ a lesser price .

You should post pics of the lift components , may get a better response rate .

Is the rear end rough too ?

He said he has a 2500 so it will be a little different and a bit rougher than a 1500.

As soon as I seen terra grapplers, I stopped reading.

IMO

You are the new Gassersarentdead of this site.:roflsquared:

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My bad ! I did not see the 2500 , LOL so pretty much disregard what I've said ! LOL

Mauzz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
X2 on Thuren. I have his Stage 3 King Shocks leveling kit. It is simply amazing.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You are the new Gassersarentdead of this site.:roflsquared:

Lol...I don't know how to take that.. But he must be a pretty cool dude.

I've made the mistake of buying those terra grapplers once. Complete garbage (even though some swear by them?) for an a/t they sounded like a mud tire. They wore down fast and uneven. Just too soft and mushy feeling. Upgraded to bfg a/t and it felt like I lost my virginity. Even gave these Nitto trail grapplers a try... Done with nitto.

IMO

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lol...I don't know how to take that.. But he must be a pretty cool dude.

I've made the mistake of buying those terra grapplers once. Complete garbage (even though some swear by them?) for an a/t they sounded like a mud tire. They wore down fast and uneven. Just too soft and mushy feeling. Upgraded to bfg a/t and it felt like I lost my virginity. Even gave these Nitto trail grapplers a try... Done with nitto.

IMO
Haha just pointing out that you say what's on your mind and don't hold back, which I respect. I knew that's why you said that though because I've seen you post about your Nitto experience before.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

bcbouy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 power wagon
Engine
hemi
what is your tire pressure set at ? nothing wrong with nitto's.some people buy off road tires and only do highway driving then wonder why their tires don't last? newsflash: offroad tires don't last 50k.

jstacey8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'll keep my nittos they seem to work just fine I've had them on 3 different trucks and they are all fine. Don't buy a mud tire and expect a ride of a highway tire

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Found your problem!!!! Your truck has a lift on it. Take it off, will ride much better.

Also, you are rolling around on a 3.5" lift with 33's. Stock is 33". I don't understand that. Here is how I picture your truck. (Get ready AustinB)

kbaytuz62yvod5lt4h1h.jpg

You want to go to a 6" lift with 35"s? Dude, if you are going to go with 6" then get some real meats on there. I have a stock sport and I run 34"s.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Wtf is that %&$@

IMO

z46yxb.jpg

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You want to go to a 6" lift with 35"s? Dude, if you are going to go with 6" then get some real meats on there. I have a stock sport and I run 34"s.

I can agree with this for a 6" lift on a 2500.. On a 1500 I think the 35s and 37s look good. One member just lifted 6" with 33s and it actually didn't look too bad.

IMO

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd rip off that kit and give Thuren or Carli a shot. Carli is top notch stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk