What problems will I face with 14 wides?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm thinking about installing some 14 wides on my 1500 for that stance look, but I keep hearing horror stories of people having their wheels "fall off" while driving. I'm not sure if this is figurative or not but I know for a fact their not good for the control arms, ball joints, etc. I only drive about 10,000 miles a year and I plan on keeping my stocks as back up for any extensive driving and roadtrips. I guess what I'm asking is with my minimal driving, how long do I have before I start having problems?

Csanders1992

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How long till you have problems is based on your current wear of parts. When people have wheels fall off its mainly because their hubs separate. 14 wides have a lot of leverage on your hubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 3500 Laramie Limited
Engine
6.7 Cummins - Tuned and Deleted
How much lift do you have? And what size tire do you plan on running? The excess wear is a secondary concern when it comes to a wide setup. Your first question needs to be "will I be able to turn my truck with this setup?"

ElTerrible

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you would be fine as long as you have enough clearance for turning. any aftermarket wheel/tire will take a toll on any truck. 22x14s would look sik though.

OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How much lift do you have? And what size tire do you plan on running? The excess wear is a secondary concern when it comes to a wide setup. Your first question needs to be "will I be able to turn my truck with this setup?"

When did you get the new wheels? They look sick!
Anyway I plan on doing 7" up front and 1.5 in the back. As for tires I plan on either doing a 325/50 or a 33x12.50. I follow 2 guys on instagram with the same 7" and x14's and one runs 33's and one runs 35's but says he rubs. I may end up going with 20x14 instead of 22's for more tire options, but I was really set on the Moto Metals and the Fuel Octanes, which of course don't make a 20x14...

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When did you get the new wheels? They look sick!
Anyway I plan on doing 7" up front and 1.5 in the back. As for tires I plan on either doing a 325/50 or a 33x12.50. I follow 2 guys on instagram with the same 7" and x14's and one runs 33's and one runs 35's but says he rubs. I may end up going with 20x14 instead of 22's for more tire options, but I was really set on the Moto Metals and the Fuel Octanes, which of course don't make a 20x14...

Thanks man! I got them on the truck about 2 weeks ago.

Okay that setup will work. 33's for sure, 35's will need some trimming but definitely do-able.
Have you checked out the Fuel deep lip series? I thought they did make a 20x14 Octane....

OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks man! I got them on the truck about 2 weeks ago.

Okay that setup will work. 33's for sure, 35's will need some trimming but definitely do-able.
Have you checked out the Fuel deep lip series? I thought they did make a 20x14 Octane....

I thought so too but I checked their website and the customwheeloffset store and they only make a 20x12 and 22x14, same thing with the Moto Metals. They make the hostage in a 20x14 but everyone else has them :sleepy10:

This is the guy running the 7" setup with 20x14 on 35's...can you say beefy?
sdeaf5.jpg
23tqnv6.jpg

and this is the guy running the same setup with 22x14 and 33s
24wgg7b.jpg
And here's a pic when he had it slammed for awhile on x14s with NO rubbing :confused:
34xrynn.jpg

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
I thought so too but I checked their website and the customwheeloffset store and they only make a 20x12 and 22x14, same thing with the Moto Metals. They make the hostage in a 20x14 but everyone else has them :sleepy10:

This is the guy running the 7" setup with 20x14 on 35's...can you say beefy?
sdeaf5.jpg
23tqnv6.jpg

and this is the guy running the same setup with 22x14 and 33s
24wgg7b.jpg
And here's a pic when he had it slammed for awhile on x14s with NO rubbing :confused:
34xrynn.jpg

Dude needs to lift the back up a bit. Dat calilean looks a little ridiculous on these trucks.

OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dude needs to lift the back up a bit. Dat calilean looks a little ridiculous on these trucks.

Yeah he's running stock in the back, I'm putting just a 1.5 in the back for a little bit of lean, I honestly like it, as long as it doesn't look like a dog scooting his ass across the floor lol

brandonjansen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can only imagine what they had to trim to make that work properly. My lift is equivalent to an 11" lift on a 1500 and I still rub. The other night I hit a fairly big bump while turning and smashed the crap out of my inner fender... cracked a a chunk right out of it.

Fitting the wheels/tires is one thing... make it useable as a daily driver afterwards is another. I'd be interested in seeing what those guys actually did to make everything fit.

OP
OP

713Hemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only imagine what they had to trim to make that work properly. My lift is equivalent to an 11" lift on a 1500 and I still rub. The other night I hit a fairly big bump while turning and smashed the crap out of my inner fender... cracked a a chunk right out of it.

Fitting the wheels/tires is one thing... make it useable as a daily driver afterwards is another. I'd be interested in seeing what those guys actually did to make everything fit.

Well they both use them as their dd's. The 35's said he rubs but is still driveable, but he also said he hasn't done any trimming.
The guy with 33's I assume has no rubbing problems, although he does complain about being to wide to be able to go through drive-thrus :roflsquared:

I don't mind having to trim or having a little bit of rub at full lock. Running 14's is equivalent to girls wearing $800 heels to look good while killing their feet.

I've also heard running wide wheels makes steering a lot rougher, and people also use the term "skating". What is skating?

sbuko213

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 HO
Well they both use them as their dd's. The 35's said he rubs but is still driveable, but he also said he hasn't done any trimming.
The guy with 33's I assume has no rubbing problems, although he does complain about being to wide to be able to go through drive-thrus :roflsquared:

I don't mind having to trim or having a little bit of rub at full lock. Running 14's is equivalent to girls wearing $800 heels to look good while killing their feet.

I've also heard running wide wheels makes steering a lot rougher, and people also use the term "skating". What is skating?

I can only assume it's similar to the common rap line "skatin' on daytons"? haha. Sounds like the ride with the wide wheels is being compared to the ride of a skateboard

13bighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The term skating means when the bottom of the body of the truck is above the top of the wheels. Like a skateboard. That's atleast what I was told

Damian Strouphar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Does anyone know what he did to drop the truck that low and his exact wheel and tire specs? Or what his account is so.i can ask him?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk