Why Wouldn't I do a 3" BL?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blkbaretta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi guys - right now my 2014 4x4 Sport CC is sitting leveled with Bilsteins at 2.8 and 20x10 wheels/33x12.50 tires.

It's a great setup - but I'm itching for more lift and 35's.

I've been doing lots of researching and pricing for various suspension lifts over the last few weeks, and best I can tell I'm going to be out thousands of dollars ($2-3k) to get into a nice 4" suspension lift with the right tires. +/- if I decide to try and install myself.

I don't off-road, will never go 'mudding', but I want a nice lifted truck.

With a 3" BL on top of my current setup plus some new tires, I think I could be happy with the results, looking at all of the trucks currently running this setup. I could also save some serious $'s...

Understanding the performance limitations of a body lift and impact of other performance parts, what is the consensus? Should I save some money and go with the BL, or save up and do a suspension lift?

Help me out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
A body lift weakens the mounting points of the body being mounted to the frame. The higher you go the weaker it becomes. 3'' being the max recommended on our trucks.

Ex: you get into an accident, front or rear impact, you will most likely twerk all the bolts and mounting holes associated with the body lift.

Fyi, I have a 2" body lift on a 6" Rough country lift.
Hope this helps.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I will start with I have had a BL on a truck before.

I did not like how far down the motor ended up in the engine bay, did not like how far down my step bars now hung .
That said it will do what you want and with a good kit it will still look great.
If you had the right offset wheels you could run 35s with the setup you have now as alot of guys do.

Phylodog

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2018
Engine
5.7 Hemi & 6.7L CTD
I won't install a body lift which requires the addition of another component in the steering linkage. Not something in which I want to increase the odds of a failure. My 1.5" Zone BL didn't require one, I don't see me going any higher with a BL on my 2018 when it arrives (if I can ever order one).

OP
OP
B

blkbaretta

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks guys...good feedback. I had a 2012 previously with a 2.5" level and 1.25" body lift. It also looked great, but didn't have the height of the 3".

Maybe the 1.5" Zone body lift would be a good alternative?

I'd really like to get another 3-4" of lift with 35s (not a big fan of the stuffed look). Just not sure the full suspension lift will be worth it, or if the 3" BL will end up being disappointing a few years down the road...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
I feel it all comes down to how much money are you willing to spend and what is your truck going to be.....mall queen or actual off-road truck

autos221

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 3inch body lift on mine and have not had any problems with it other than engine getting dirty but that was fixed with a pair of gap guards