Wife hates 6" RC lift, considering on swapping out for a 4"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When I bought my truck, it had a new RC 6" lift. Unfortunately my wife hates the 6" lift. She hates climbing in... it's too tall for her even with the nerf bars I installed. I'm considering swapping out the 6" for a 4". Based on what I researched, all I need to do is swap out the front coil spacers and spring spacers for the ones for a 4" lift, and get a new alignment. I'm not sure about the rear shocks. I need to see if they were changed during the lift install...

Is there anything else i'm missing???

Thoughts / concerns...

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The fronts are a combination of spacer and new knuckles. I think if you remove the spacer you end up with a 3 inch front lift. So the best math would be remove the spacer and use bilsteins to give it 1 inch of lift for a total of 4 on the front. That being said you can remove the rear spacer, remove the front spacer and your truck will sit almost level, maybe a little nose high but still clear the 35's

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
How about little lower nerf bars. Mine drop down where the step is so easy to get into. My kids and wife have no problems. I’ll send a pic of mine

Attachments

• F8E63821-3123-4496-AFA5-009D5CB63E58.jpg
    F8E63821-3123-4496-AFA5-009D5CB63E58.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 52

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, 6" Rough Co lift, Fuel wheels, Bully Dog Gt, K&N CAI, Magnaflow Exhaust
They are Westin bars. Just trying to give you easier options. Good luck

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you considered AMP research steps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AMP also makes a XL version that drop even lower than their standard ones that drop down pretty low. also they look really trick when they drop down when you open the door.

Pa.hemi.ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Those are soooo sweet. Almost bought them. Still kinda in my list....you know the list that just keeps growing ....and growing lol

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the AMP steps on mine, at my current lift height the step is 18" from ground

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine's a 2WD, and I had to get the AMP steps for the wife. She's partially disabled, and most steps didn't come down far enough. She does love the AMPs though.

OP
OP
E

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I appreciate all the comments...

When I bought the truck, there was no step... watching her get in was kinda funny... :roflsquared: but the nerf bars helped a lot... Of coure as soon as I bought the truck, I had to make it mine... She then complained about the cost of the mods... I couldn't get the cost of the AMP steps past her... but now that she's seen them on other trucks... she said "Why did you go cheap and get theses???" because the AMP steps are quite a bit more expensive...

I'm not sure, but I think they use the same knuckle on both lifts, 4 & 6. I sent a msg to rough country to confirm they are the same. If they are different, the lift stays as is... If they are the same, I'll "look" what it will take, cost / time etc... Maybe then I'll get her to agree to the AMP steps... :naughty:

GabAlmighty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My mom hated getting in and out of old rock crawlers and lifted diesels... I told her she could walk instead if she wanted.... It's all about proper use of the "oh ****" handle and pulling oneself into the machine.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The amps are an option but as good as they look I dont like them. They hug in close to the body. My wife has fallen more than once expecting to step out not down.

If its the same knuckle remove the spacer and see if you like it.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We really love our AMP steps they stick out very far IMO. I bought my truck on a Saturday and my wife made an appointment for the next Tuesday to get these installed. This was my first truck to ever own with the AMP steps, I'll never buy a fixed step again these spoil you lol.

Attachments

• IMG_3577.jpg
    IMG_3577.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3578.jpg
    IMG_3578.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 28

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My mom hated getting in and out of old rock crawlers and lifted diesels... I told her she could walk instead if she wanted.... It's all about proper use of the "oh ****" handle and pulling oneself into the machine.

Not an option for the wife, her knee and back won't take that much stress.

The amps are an option but as good as they look I dont like them. They hug in close to the body. My wife has fallen more than once expecting to step out not down.

On my previous '09, I had the Dodge steps. The AMPS seem every bit as far way from the body as those, they're just further down. My wife loves them, says they're in just the right place to use with the OS handle.

14RAM4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 4x4
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If the Amp steps are outta the budget, you could try to the Bestop powerboard XL. It uses transmitters to signal the steps to open & close. I had them on my 1500 with a 4" lift and they came plenty low for my 5' wife and her 4'11" mother.

Right now I'm kinda getting an earful from the mother-in-law about the stock Ram steps on my 2500 with a 3" lift and 37" tires. She is literally climbing into the truck. Pretty soon I think I'll get the green light on some Amp or Bestop steps. I really REALLY want the Amp XLs ($1700), but I think the budget will leave me with the Bestop XLs ($1100).

If Rock Slide Engineering every comes out with their Gen2 Truckstep, The would be an option I'd like to explore depending on the price.

Reactions: JB1

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After some digging online, the AMPS are the way to go. Seems they invented the things, and license them out. Bestop used to be their distributor, now they make their own version. I thought about going Bestop as well (and installing them myself), but kept reading about motor failures and arm failures, especially with off-roaders. Decided I'd spend the few extra to get the originals.

OP
OP
E

eprovenzano

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is the email I received from Rough Country when I asked about dropping the lift from 6" to 4"

You will need 1323BOX1. It is 279.95. You will need to call in to purchase as we do not offer this online. This will be front and rear spacers, shocks, and hardware needed to change to the 4" kit.

Not cheap, but also doesn't break the bank. I've got a lot to consider... decisions, decisions...