Zone 4” lift alignment issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got my new zone 4” lift with the 3” rear springs installed on my 2016 4x4 crew cab 1500, the shop says they did an alignment on it and everything is in spec. However, they said it pulls hard right and they have no idea why. I drove it too and if I take my hand off the wheel I’m gonna drive off the road. They are trying to blame my tires, but I didn’t have any issues with my alignment before the lift. Could they be trying to cover up a bigger issue, or has anyone had this kind of trouble with the lift? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I quick check to see if it's the tires would be to rotate them and see if you still have the problem.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
No such issues and just had the same lift added. Sorry to hear you're having problems. Keep us posted on the fix. Be safe!

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who installed the lift kit?

With the BDS/Zone kits you have to cut the tie rods so that your alignment can be adjusted within specs. I would ask for a print out from the shop that did the alignment showing that it is indeed within the green.

When I installed my lift kit the alignment shop had to cut even more off my tie rod ends then what the instructions called for to get it within specs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just took it in to get the tires rotated, hopefully that fixes it. I took it to a reputable place in MA, however they were somehow “baffled” by a lift that they claimed to have put on hundreds of trucks and it took them about 25 hours total to put it in. I didn’t have a great experience if you couldn’t tell haha but hopefully it’s fixed. I’ll know in an hr.

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s still pulling right..I’m going back to the place that aligned it and I’m gonna get the readout

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Talked to the alignment guy, he’s gonna bring it back in on Friday and try aligning it again. He says it might be a stuck caliper? I find that hard to believe on a truck with 15k miles on it but who knows.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Might sound crazy but double check they pull the correct vehicle specs.........some machines will show Ram 1500 and Dodge Ram 1500.......I ran into this when a place was working on my truck

WiSH2oo0

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4wd RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
25hrs? That's about how long it took me to do it. I bet if I did the install again I could easily cut that time in half, since I know what to expect now. When I tell people about my experience installing the lift I tell them the instructions said 8-10hrs but it took me three days :naughty:

Is the truck pulling while braking and/or while cruising down the road at speed?

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After driving it more I’ve noticed that it doesn’t pull when I’m braking. I’ve also noticed that when the steering wheel is “straight” or in the normal position..(idk how to explain that haha) it is turning left. It’s almost as if someone took the steering wheel off and put it back on about an inch off to the right so that “straight” is a slight right turn, and what was straight is now a slight left turn.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Doesn't sound like they really knew what they were doing and after installing a lift they should re-center the steering wheel and it doesn't require taking it off. I just got my 4" lift installed and it is perfect, runs true, wheel centered and rides like factory........

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry, let me clear that up..they didn’t actually take the steering wheel off that’s just the only way I can describe it haha

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Going thru same problem with 6" RC lift. New lift, tires and wheels....and she pulls right. I have to keep the steering wheel about 2 inches off center to keep it straight. I am having new front struts put on Friday because the original ones are leaking. This will require another alignment. I am using the same company, but going to their main store.

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
9cb6f906209f71e431f3d6d9df3d7c96.jpg

Tried to get a pic of the steering wheel but it’s hard to show what I mean..anyway, this is the wheel when I’m going straight.

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
The steering wheel can be re-centered by adjusting the length of the drag link. There is a lot of internet info on it. This should be part of the lift installation process...............

Attachments

• drag link.jpg
    drag link.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 77

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The steering wheel can be re-centered by adjusting the length of the drag link. There is a lot of internet info on it. This should be part of the lift installation process...............

That works for 2500’s. 1500’s stopped using solid axles, and that type of steering in 2002.

With rack and pinion steering, you center the wheel(just turn it till it’s straight), then adjust each tie rod independently to set the tires.

OP
OP
B

BRam14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So is it possible he forgot to center the steering wheel before doing the alignment?

RAM DRVR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
That works for 2500’s. 1500’s stopped using solid axles, and that type of steering in 2002.

With rack and pinion steering, you center the wheel(just turn it till it’s straight), then adjust each tie rod independently to set the tires.

Good catch... I've only done it on straight axels.

RamRoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My steering wheel looks like the mirror image of yours. If I let go of the wheel though, I am going to the right quickly. Getting bilstiens put on front tomorrow with a new alignment; hopefully they get it squared away.