Zone 6" kit with Bilsteins

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my plan is to run the Zone 6" kit with the 5100s. I plan on doing the 5" lift option so I can accommodate for the extra lift from the Bilstein's up front. My question is, what shock is needed for the rear? I've been able to find the kits online that come with front and rear shocks, but will any rear length shock work?

Thanks in advance

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
Depends on your existing rake and if you seek level. I had a 3 in rake, so in order to get close to level I went with 3" Zone rear coils and Nitro shocks and the 4" Zone lift in the front with my Bilstein 5100s set to 2.1.

OP
OP
D

Daldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Depends on your existing rake and if you seek level. I had a 3 in rake, so in order to get close to level I went with 3" Zone rear coils and Nitro shocks and the 4" Zone lift in the front with my Bilstein 5100s set to 2.1.

So, you're running Bils up front with the Nitro shocks in the rear, correct? I'm just wondering if there is a long enough Bilstein that I can run in the rear since the front will be lifted ~8"s.

S0CAL

US Marine Veteran
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited Longhorn CTD HO DRW 4x4
Engine
Cummins 6.7L HO
So, you're running Bils up front with the Nitro shocks in the rear, correct? I'm just wondering if there is a long enough Bilstein that I can run in the rear since the front will be lifted ~8"s.

Yeah, and it rides like a wagon now. Don't get me wrong, I love the height. But leveled with just the front and rear Bilsteins on 305/55/20s, it was smooth as glass.

If i had a regret, it's that I didn't wait and cough up the difference to get the BDS 6 inch, but drop it down to 5" (kind of like what you are talking about) so I could always go up later if I wanted. I did spend the extra $ to get the upgraded Zone UCAs (and would have wanted those with the BDS lift too). I understand the BDS (Fox owns BDS and Zone) is a much nicer ride and a far superior lift kit.

No sour grapes, I am really happy. But BDS is the way to go if you have the coin.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, my plan is to run the Zone 6" kit with the 5100s. I plan on doing the 5" lift option so I can accommodate for the extra lift from the Bilstein's up front. My question is, what shock is needed for the rear? I've been able to find the kits online that come with front and rear shocks, but will any rear length shock work?

Thanks in advance

Superlift Rear Bilstein 5100 for their 6" lift kit.
P/N 33-185569 w/superlift 77-80038 bushing kit.
Collapsed: 17.91"
Extended: 29.70"
Diameter: 46mm

Fox shocks for the 5" rear Zone lift kit:
p/n 98450759
Collapsed: 18.46"
Extended: 30.05"
Diameter: 2"

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Daldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Superlift Rear Bilstein 5100 for their 6" lift kit.
P/N 33-185569 w/superlift 77-80038 bushing kit.
Collapsed: 17.91"
Extended: 29.70"
Diameter: 46mm

Fox shocks for the 5" rear Zone lift kit:
p/n 98450759
Collapsed: 18.46"
Extended: 30.05"
Diameter: 2"

I appreciate that bud, thanks.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem, I’m running those Bils with my lift, they ride great. There’s only a few of us here with a BDS or Zone lift and these 5100 rear shocks. I read a lot of posts and some said they love the Fox shocks, some said ride to soft and some said way too stiff. Didn’t see any complaints on the Superlift Bils so thought I would try them out, lifetime warranty is a plus too.

Attachments

• D038BD5B-539B-424F-8BC1-2C81DD9A324D.jpg
    D038BD5B-539B-424F-8BC1-2C81DD9A324D.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 55

808ram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
What is the part # for the rear Bils with a 6" lift? Also does it make a.difference if the shock body is mounted on the upright or downward position? MY RC 6" lift said to install shock body in the top position. I did at first, but have since turned it shock body down position. That's the way the stocks were mounted.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What is the part # for the rear Bils with a 6" lift? Also does it make a.difference if the shock body is mounted on the upright or downward position? MY RC 6" lift said to install shock body in the top position. I did at first, but have since turned it shock body down position. That's the way the stocks were mounted.

I put the part numbers a few posts up:

Bilstein P/N 33-185569 w/superlift bushing kit P/N 77-80038 buy 2 of ea part number

They don't sell a direct replacement shock with bushings installed for our trucks, you'll have to buy the bushing kit from superlift directly for about $6 a set (1 set per shock so you need to buy qty2). The bushings aren't hard to swap on new shocks. The bushings are needed for our bolt size. I bought the shocks from summitracing but when/if you call superlift for the bushing kit ask for a price on the shocks too.

I am not familiar with RC shocks, you should call and ask them. On my Bils you notice my label is on top where you can read the text, mine are installed properly.

Does it matter which way I mount my Bilstein shocks?

Bilstein shocks often come with the same size mounting eyes on each end. We often get asked "Can I mount them with the shock boot up, does it matter which side is facing up?"

The majority of Bilstein shocks mount with the boot on the top of the shock. Bilstein does have some shocks that do have the boot on the bottom of the shock and the same size mounting eyes on each end. As a general rule with all Bilstein shocks, you should pay attention to the label. Bilstein tech advises that you should always mount your shocks so that the Bilstein logo is right-side up.

So, If you are not sure which way is up on your shocks or wonder if you can mount them either way, always look at the Bilstein logo. If it is upside down, so are your shocks!

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I put the part numbers a few posts up:

Bilstein P/N 33-185569 w/superlift bushing kit P/N 77-80038 buy 2 of ea part number

They don't sell a direct replacement shock with bushings installed for our trucks, you'll have to buy the bushing kit from superlift directly for about $6 a set (1 set per shock so you need to buy qty2). The bushings aren't hard to swap on new shocks. The bushings are needed for our bolt size. I bought the shocks from summitracing but when/if you call superlift for the bushing kit ask for a price on the shocks too.

I am not familiar with RC shocks, you should call and ask them. On my Bils you notice my label is on top where you can read the text, mine are installed properly.

Does it matter which way I mount my Bilstein shocks?

Bilstein shocks often come with the same size mounting eyes on each end. We often get asked "Can I mount them with the shock boot up, does it matter which side is facing up?"

The majority of Bilstein shocks mount with the boot on the top of the shock. Bilstein does have some shocks that do have the boot on the bottom of the shock and the same size mounting eyes on each end. As a general rule with all Bilstein shocks, you should pay attention to the label. Bilstein tech advises that you should always mount your shocks so that the Bilstein logo is right-side up.

So, If you are not sure which way is up on your shocks or wonder if you can mount them either way, always look at the Bilstein logo. If it is upside down, so are your shocks!
I am going to be doing the exact same thing but I only did the 3" rear lift when I installed my 6-inch BDS Lift. I went ahead and spent the money for the fox shocks and took them off after 2 days they were horrible! They had absolutely no dampening and we're actually dangerous. The back of the truck basically bounced up and down like it had no shocks on it at all. I called Fox and BDS and I got absolutely no help. I have since just put my bilstein's back on that I installed when I did my level originally. They can only accommodate a one inch lift but they are long enough to use for now as long as I don't take it off road. It rides beautifully with the Bilsteins. I need to order a set of Bilsteins for the rear that will accommodate a 3-inch lift and then put in the superlift bushings.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am going to be doing the exact same thing but I only did the 3" rear lift when I installed my 6-inch BDS Lift. I went ahead and spent the money for the fox shocks and took them off after 2 days they were horrible! They had absolutely no dampening and we're actually dangerous. The back of the truck basically bounced up and down like it had no shocks on it at all. I called Fox and BDS and I got absolutely no help. I have since just put my bilstein's back on that I installed when I did my level originally. They can only accommodate a one inch lift but they are long enough to use for now as long as I don't take it off road. It rides beautifully with the Bilsteins. I need to order a set of Bilsteins for the rear that will accommodate a 3-inch lift and then put in the superlift bushings.

Fyi, it'll be the same Bils shock for the 3" and 5" rear applications.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Fox's either. It didn't help that one of them blew within a couple of months.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fyi, it'll be the same Bils shock for the 3" and 5" rear applications.

I wasn't overly impressed with the Fox's either. It didn't help that one of them blew within a couple of months.
Oh okay thank you that's good info I figured the ones I would need would be a little shorter.

smoothee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that's what I was thinking too as I have the 3" as well. But I cross referenced the part #'s of both kits from Superlift.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah that's what I was thinking too as I have the 3" as well. But I cross referenced the part #'s of both kits from Superlift.
I went to the superlift website to order the bushing kit for the shocks part number
77-80038 and it comes back as a bad number. Any suggestions?

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went to the superlift website to order the bushing kit for the shocks part number
77-80038 and it comes back as a bad number. Any suggestions?

I ordered mine over the phone, they are real nice. Just tell them you have the 6" Superlift K120 kit on your truck with 60k miles on it and you want to replace the rear shocks so you need to order the bushing kit because they are worn too, that's what I did. They will verify the number.

just checked my invoice that number is correct, you need qty 2, mine were 6.53ea plus shipping from Louisiana.

That said....you can probably remove the bushings/sleeve from your existing bils and install on your new longer bils. I got mine at summitracing

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ordered mine over the phone, they are real nice. Just tell them you have the 6" Superlift K120 kit on your truck with 60k miles on it and you want to replace the rear shocks so you need to order the bushing kit because they are worn too, that's what I did. They will verify the number.

just checked my invoice that number is correct, you need qty 2, mine were 6.53ea plus shipping from Louisiana.

That said....you can probably remove the bushings/sleeve from your existing bils and install on your new longer bils. I got mine at summitracing
Great advice thanks!

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
mine came out with just a forceful tug/twist with a pair of common pliers/wd40, I did lube them with grease while installing.

During this I thought about taking pics and was like NAH nobody will care LOL

OP
OP
D

Daldridge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, and it rides like a wagon now. Don't get me wrong, I love the height. But leveled with just the front and rear Bilsteins on 305/55/20s, it was smooth as glass.

If i had a regret, it's that I didn't wait and cough up the difference to get the BDS 6 inch, but drop it down to 5" (kind of like what you are talking about) so I could always go up later if I wanted. I did spend the extra $ to get the upgraded Zone UCAs (and would have wanted those with the BDS lift too). I understand the BDS (Fox owns BDS and Zone) is a much nicer ride and a far superior lift kit.

No sour grapes, I am really happy. But BDS is the way to go if you have the coin.

Serious question. If I'm not buying the Coilover BDS kit, what's the point in spending the extra money over the Zone kit? They are both spacer style suspension setups, so what sets them apart? I mean, aren't they essentially the exact same kit?

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Serious question. If I'm not buying the Coilover BDS kit, what's the point in spending the extra money over the Zone kit? They are both spacer style suspension setups, so what sets them apart? I mean, aren't they essentially the exact same kit?
I bought the BDS kit without the coilovers because I was told it was a better lift. I have never installed the Zone kit but I've seen a couple of them installed and looked them over pretty well and they look pretty much identical to my BDS kit. Even though the BDS kit was well made and fit perfectly I got a very bad taste in my mouth with their bad instructions and horrible customer service when I had the problem with the Fox shocks. I don't think it was worth the extra money in my opinion. If I had it to do again I would buy the Zone lift.