14 Ram 2500 Rear Axle Bearing Wear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgoff_ak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was hoping that someone could give me some insight as to the wear pattern from my rear axle on my ram 2500. I have been having a vibration issue that I have been trying to figure out with the stealership... long story short, i'm told by the dealership that this type of wear is normal on the axle shaft ? I'm not blaming this for the vibrations, but am worried that maybe this is something that really should be replaced (not saying it needs to be done, but in my experience scored races are bad... ) it's a 2014 with 90k miles on it... I have spoken to many of the folks and some say this is a wear pattern not normally seen, others say this is completely normal. I can't find any where a go/no go spec for this type of wear... anyone else see this ? ( one pic is the Right side the other is Drivers of axle )

Attachments

• 4-19-2017 1-32-52 PM.jpg
    4-19-2017 1-32-52 PM.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 4-19-2017 1-33-40 PM.jpg
    4-19-2017 1-33-40 PM.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 63

ZJMAX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well the races are a slip fit so it is common to see some marking. If you can measure a difference between the good area and where it is spun then I would say you may want to investigate further on what is "normal/acceptable" and what needs to be replaced. The bad news is that that part is part of the diff housing so replacement means swapping the whole diff housing and having the parts properly swapped over and re set to spec.

Max