16' RAM - Morimoto HID and Flickering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Big Horn Crew Cab 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys,

Jeremy's been great so far, but I can't seem to figure out what is causing the flickering in my new setup. At first Jeremy thought the capacitor might have been bad and we swapped it out and still getting the same thing. I have it grounded to the body where the battery grounds and all the connections are sound. Setup is awesome, but I can't continue to keep driving around with these flickering like this. Anyone else run into this problem on a 2016 Ram with the Morimoto 2015+ Mopar Specific Elite HID System?

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Rebel "Mopar 16" Special Edition
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you using that huge harness? It could be a bad ballast. Try switching parts around or is it doing it on both at the same time? To be honest, I did not like the quality of the Morimoto kit I had a few yrs ago. In particular the bulb and I got mad radio interference from the ballasts. But, you don't have a lot of choices for aftermarket HID kits. My next kit will be Hylux ballasts with Cnlight bulbs.....but, even those brands I just listed are often rebranded under another name. Who knows what the hell you're actually buying.

OP
OP
Steen

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you using that huge harness? It could be a bad ballast. Try switching parts around or is it doing it on both at the same time? To be honest, I did not like the quality of the Morimoto kit I had a few yrs ago. In particular the bulb and I got mad radio interference from the ballasts. But, you don't have a lot of choices for aftermarket HID kits. My next kit will be Hylux ballasts with Cnlight bulbs.....but, even those brands I just listed are often rebranded under another name. Who knows what the hell you're actually buying.

Seems to be doing on both sides at once. Wondering if I should have went with DD Canbus ballasts instead??

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Seems to be doing on both sides at once. Wondering if I should have went with DD Canbus ballasts instead??

Yeah, actually that's the kit I'm buying for my 2016 Rebel. I really like JJ's service, but I just wished he carried other brands as well as the Morimoto kits.

OP
OP
Steen

Steen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, actually that's the kit I'm buying for my 2016 Rebel. I really like JJ's service, but I just wished he carried other brands as well as the Morimoto kits.

I hear ya.. I emailed Morimoto.. see what they say and I'll post back when I hear something.. that is if I ever do.

Sir John

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya.. I emailed Morimoto.. see what they say and I'll post back when I hear something.. that is if I ever do.

I would be VERY surprised if you hear from them. Morimoto comes across as a company that doesn't invest into that level of customer service. Your best bet is what you've already been doing....working with JJ.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Diode dynamics sells the stuff to retro source I believe? I had a hylux ballast go bad within a couple months to where my passenger side didn't come on. Additionally I had something go out on my switchbacks from diode dynamics. So it's with everything you get, something will fail you just happend to get a premature failure it sounds like.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Diode dynamics sells the stuff to retro source I believe?

Morimoto is owned by TRS (the retrofit source). They have no affiliation with Diode Dynamics.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Does diode dynamics sell the morimoto kits?

No. They carry Hylux ballasts and CNLight bulbs.

grozier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Ahh. I know I went back and fourth when buying mine