2013 Dodge Ram Paint Defect PX8, Everybody Check thier New Truck!!!!!!

Sould Dodge buy my truck Back?

• Buy my truck Back?

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Take a Loss trade it in?

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

steven1u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bought a Brand new 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Black Clear Coat, but found the whole entire truck Painted with Metallic in the paint, which is a Copper Metallic paint under clear coat.
They confirmed that this color is not an available color,
and believe the lines for spray lines were not cleaned before my new truck was painted PX8 ( Black Clear Coat) non metallic.
In talks with Dodge, refuse to help, but they would like to Paint entire truck, only had truck a few months and have 3521 miles on it.
I told them I didn't buy a new truck and have it painted 3 months later.
I agreed to trade it in, but they said I would have to take a loss???
I post a picture of my PX8
If anybody that is important that can help?
215-677-4477

You Tube Link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNhtYlgMwi4&feature=em-upload_owner#action=share

Attachments

• doge ram picture.jpg
    doge ram picture.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 1,104

Recontango

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Yep, as stated in other posts, I have the same issue. I too did not want them painting a brand new truck so decided to live with it. Not happy about it but no way am I going to turn around and trade it in, and especially at a loss to me. Not really sure there is much else we can do, I complained to my salesman, shop manager, dealership manager, and district manager. All I kept getting was that they were willing to "fix" the problem by painting the truck, no other offers. Who wants to buy a brand new vehicle only to have it torn apart and painted??

LOFSFIRE

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 CC Sport Copperhead Pearl & 2011 1500 CC Sport Black
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/ 8 speed ~ 5.7 Hemi w/ 6 speed
So that SUCKS! When you read the rest of this remember I'm on your side.

How about this agree to go with the paint but get them to give you extra warranty on the paint and rust. B/c painting after the fact is never the same as right from the factory. Also might want to check with the BBB. Have any attorney family or friends, Check with them might be something about them misleading you.

Sorry not much help, but maybe a few ideas. Good luck!

*tim*

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You would think the cost to repaint an entire truck would be more then whatever loss they are asking you to take on trading it in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

chuck

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 True Blue Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Bought a Brand new 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Black Clear Coat, but found the whole entire truck Painted with Metallic in the paint, which is a Copper Metallic paint under clean coat.
They confirmed that this color is not available color and believe the paint wasn't cleaned before the new paint run of PX8 colors.
In talks with Dodge, refuse to help, but they would like to Paint entire truck, only had truck a few months and have 3521 miles on it.
I told them I didn't buy a new truck and have it painted 3 months later.
I agreed to trade it in, but they said I would have to take a loss???
I post a picture of my PX8
If anybody that is important that can help?
215-677-4477

You Tube (2013 Dodge Ram PX8 Paint Defect!!!!!)

Sorry to hear about that. Thanks for posting it up here and making everyone else aware of it. I'm sure it will help some people out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

BAILEY1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM 2500
Engine
Dat Cummins!
Too late for me. Luckily they only had re-paint my hood, both front fenders, and the piece between my bumper and grille.

Kelli25

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thats super shady of RAM. Makes me angry that they wont do the right thing. I agree with the attorney thing, but Im not sure they will be able to help. The truck was that way when you bought it right? Regardless, its a bummer. Still, I would probably accept the paint job. As long as the work was top quality and you got a warranty like mentioned above.

Good luck!

Harrisb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Personally, if I was getting a repaint I would demand a letter from Ram that it was done due to their mess up, simply to prove for resale purposes that it wasn't wrecked. I would probably ask to select the painter of my choosing as well. Second, I'd go with a full custom colour as another member here did or just leave it as is and live with it.

The dealership and Ram's argument is that you should have noticed this before taking delivery I am sure. Lame cause metallics are hard to see if it's night or cloudy but that seems like a logical excuse. The only way I have ever gotten resolution for cosmetic items like this in the past is refusing delivery of the truck (I did this twice with my 2013, it's surprising how much extra stuff you get too)

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
The custom color is a good idea, I mean why not? Unless you just absolutely must have the black. Having them comp a respray to a color that isn't even available would be cool, IMHO. My truck seems not to be affected by this, but if it was I think I would argue for Deep Amethyst, a color they offered in 98 and 99, the color of my first Durango.

I don't know Chrysler's quality control measures, but it seems that would be kind of an obvious thing to notice, especially after looking at that YouTube video. Good luck, hope it works out to your satisfaction. Oh, and re-reading your first post, you say Chrysler is refusing to help but is offering to respray it? :hmm:

OP
OP
S

steven1u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I like to say I am very impressed with how many people responded, and how quickly responded to my story, I know that i am not the only person with the wrong color on my truck.

(Bottom line your car/truck is worth less money with repaint)
UNACCEPTABLE!! (This is grounds for a lawsuit) I am willing to go there.

This is such a rare occurrence that dodge should honor there mistake! I am sure everyone agrees.
I am not going to let this go, by letting paint my new truck, it's not going to happen.
If dodge does decide to take the truck back, 100% guarantee I will buy another truck with extra options with a different color, but will order this one, and would pay the difference.
The dealership I went to is a joke, cherryhill dodge cherry hill nj, John the service manager didn't want to call dodge, didn't want sit down with me to work it out.
Dodge is supposed to call me back with a decision Mon, will keep everyone posted.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram R/T
Engine
Geeze...it's just paint. If they wanna fix it let em....it's not a big deal.
You have 2 options...let them take care of the issue or get on the internet and ***** about it....I'd go with option 1.

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
dealers do crappy jobs. I had them repaint my roof and they could have done it alot better

WarrenRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
Geeze...it's just paint. If they wanna fix it let em....it's not a big deal.
You have 2 options...let them take care of the issue or get on the internet and ***** about it....I'd go with option 1.

Or option 3, which is to use option 2 until option 1 is completed. Kidding.

So first off, dealers and Chrysler are two separate entities. I would be dealing straight with C, LLC. directly. And since it sounds like they are willing to help, stay with that and let them comp the respray and move on with your life. Dealers are good at selling new vehicles, but in my experience that's about all they're good at.

Since C is offering a re-spray, get in touch with a good body shop and get it done. I don't know why C should be obligated to buy back that truck and get you into another one over this issue. The re-spray sounds like a fine remediation. Again, not to rub salt, but the issue is obvious enough to me that I'm sure you'd get a push-back from the lawyers as to why you didn't notice it to begin with, much less after you put a few thousand miles on it. And frankly, they'd be right to ask that. I'm concerned that you're going to get into a long, expensive, drawn out, and probably unsuccessful litigation that would at best end up netting you a comped respray and a few richer lawyers, and at worst leave you bitter, jaded, less wealthy, and with a back truck with copper flakes in the paint.

Hemitom

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not trying to stir the pot but just Remember the 2004-2005 Ram GTX's were completely repainted a different color after the truck left the factory. I would just make them repaint the whole truck.(if its offered) and be done with it.. that way if its not done right then...they will have to repair it... just my .02

RP11

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good luck getting any help from Cherry Hill Dodge. I had issues with them when I purchased my new Ram in '11. Chrysler customer service had to intervene many times to help correct my issues, but were unwilling to swap my truck. First 2 weeks of ownership the dealership put more miles on the truck than me.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I had my fender repainted on my new '12 due to a paint defect. There was a problem, they offered to fix it correctly, I let them.

As long as its done correctly, why not let them repaint it?

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
GOOD LUCK with the re-spray, coming from a owner who had 1/3 of his truck repainted by a chrysler body shop. What a f ing nitemare, 21 working days, 4 seperate trips, to finally be told to shove it where the sun don't shine by the dealership.

Attorneys, warranty resolution dispute complaint, and almost a full year later chrysler settles for $$$$ so I can have someone else fix the problems the first body shop f up!

GOOD LUCK

I am considering purchasing a 13 in the fall, and so help me I will inspect that truck in every possible lighting condition even if it takes me a week. I have absolutley no faith in chryser's ability to put paint on a ****, let alone a truck.

Last edited:

BIGBLACKHEMI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
First I like to say I am very impressed with how many people responded, and how quickly responded to my story, I know that i am not the only person with the wrong color on my truck.

(Bottom line your car/truck is worth less money with repaint)
UNACCEPTABLE!! (This is grounds for a lawsuit) I am willing to go there.

This is such a rare occurrence that dodge should honor there mistake! I am sure everyone agrees.
I am not going to let this go, by letting paint my new truck, it's not going to happen.
If dodge does decide to take the truck back, 100% guarantee I will buy another truck with extra options with a different color, but will order this one, and would pay the difference.
The dealership I went to is a joke, cherryhill dodge cherry hill nj, John the service manager didn't want to call dodge, didn't want sit down with me to work it out.
Dodge is supposed to call me back with a decision Mon, will keep everyone posted.
Wow that's crazy I'm glad I have a good dealer. . I'm in jersey as well but I go to world jeep and ram

Ramunit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
At what point do you hold yourself accountable for buying the truck in the first place. I'm sure you didn't buy it sight unseen.

OP
OP
S

steven1u

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you spend $47000 for a new truck, 3 months later, you have to have your new truck painted, which painting the truck devalues the truck,I guess that's no big deal to some people.
But for some people who work hard for thier money, it is a big deal to me.