2015 ram need alignment after new wheel and tire setup with -18 offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2015 ram 1500 33" 12"wide tires feel unbalanced

Long story short I installed a set of 20" -18 offset rims with 33" x12" wide tires . Mounted and balanced from company . However they don't feel balanced . There's a considerable shaking (feels like it's coming from the back)

So me being impatient brought the truck to Walmart (only place open at 7pm) to balance them only to get the same shaking . Can anyone offer any insight? I had the truck aligned to the specs of the readylift leveling kit when that was installed a year ago... but would the offset and wider tires cause it to need to be redone and cause the "unbalanced feeling" ?? Thanks in advance for any help!

295a5b805671aae090ab5cf3b6ee4eb7.jpg3fa8bcc4ef4ed49615e1f2b2b8e46979.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You probably have a bad tire (one with a belt out of place) or bad wheel. Was the runout checked?

That offset may put more stress on the suspension and worn components may be more noticeable. You can knock a truck out of alignment over a years time, but I'd double check tires/wheels first.

It does take more shock to hold heavier/larger tires. Perhaps the shocks are not up to ***** or worn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You probably have a bad tire (one with a belt out of place) or bad wheel. Was the runout checked?

That offset may put more stress on the suspension and worn components may be more noticeable. You can knock a truck out of alignment over a years time, but I'd double check tires/wheels first.

It does take more shock to hold heavier/larger tires. Perhaps the shocks are not up to ***** or worn.

Hey thanks for the reply! The truck only has 12000 miles on it . Suspension worn shouldn't be an issue . I have an appt at warran tire tomorrow am. For an evaluation and to rebalance rims/tires and inspect them for defects! Just hoping it's a balance issue that they can easily correct . I'll try to keep this thread updated!!!

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I'd try a "Road Force" balance, which can help find heavy spots in tires and wheels. They will rotate the tire around the wheel for best balance, then finish with weights. Had it done on my 2014 2500 after putting on some 35x12.50's and getting a vibration from the rear.

One other thing is try rotating the tires from front to back. If the vibration moves from the back to the front, then it' that wheel and tire for sure.

Other owners found none of this worked and tracked the issue down to a bad or unbalanced driveline. This was in the case where they experienced some "bounce" at around 40 - 50 MPH, then it smoothed out only to return around 60 MPH and it got progressively worse from there.

Good luck!

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd try a "Road Force" balance, which can help find heavy spots in tires and wheels. They will rotate the tire around the wheel for best balance, then finish with weights. Had it done on my 2014 2500 after putting on some 35x12.50's and getting a vibration from the rear.

One other thing is try rotating the tires from front to back. If the vibration moves from the back to the front, then it' that wheel and tire for sure.

Other owners found none of this worked and tracked the issue down to a bad or unbalanced driveline. This was in the case where they experienced some "bounce" at around 40 - 50 MPH, then it smoothed out only to return around 60 MPH and it got progressively worse from there.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply! Yea it's real bad At 70 . Def hope to get it figured out tomorrow I'll make sure they do a roadforce balance and update this thread with my results!!!!

BigTrout

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't remember the who but he thought a similar vibration was due to cv joint and dropped his bilsteins down from 2.8 to 2.1 hoping it would fix it. Turned out to be a bad tire, and your offset isn't that extreme imo. Good luck tho

trikeffex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport ram
Engine
hemi 5.7
What kind of tires do you have? Went through this issue with 6 Amp mud tires. Had them Road forced and it was ******** how bad they were. Finally got the shop to just trade them out with me paying the difference for Toyo M/T's and all was great after that. This was on my 2015 Powerstroke!

Charles

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They are fuel gripper a/t's hopefully get them road forced tomorrow.

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you by chance have hubcentric rings? If not I would try them since that could be a cheap fix.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They were actually installed with them

Express SN95

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only other advice would be to get a reputable shop that does road force balancing. On my old truck I had 285/65/20 BFG's road force balanced and they were smooth.

ocwill1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
What kind of tires do you have? Went through this issue with 6 Amp mud tires. Had them Road forced and it was ******** how bad they were. Finally got the shop to just trade them out with me paying the difference for Toyo M/T's and all was great after that. This was on my 2015 Powerstroke!

Charles

I just got mine done as well, with Amp A/T's, and guess what, cannot get the 2 fronts using road force machine to not shimmy. shimmies at about 50, 65, and 70.. And get this, the left rear tire is moving on the rim. We marked the tire at the valve stem, and after a 5 or so mile ride, it had moved about an inch off the mark. Will be straightened out though, not worried.. The guy that installed them is a buddy and he has Amp A/T's with no issue, just a bad batch I guess..

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ugh I hope that isn't the case being a bad batch for me. . bought them from a shop two hours away.

AtomicDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a bad tire on my '12 Ram from the factory. No matter what the dealer did the tire still caused the truck to shake at highway speeds.

RamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also just bought some Amp tires and am having a problem with the truck shaking. It doesn't feel like a tire out of balance though. I'm beginning to think that my factory shocks are not strong enough to hold the heavy tires on the ground. I put a couple hundred pounds of weight in the bed yesterday and it didn't seem quite as bad this morning when I drove to work. BTW, when I'm on a perfectly smooth section of road, and I mean perfect, I don't feel any issues.

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also just bought some Amp tires and am having a problem with the truck shaking. It doesn't feel like a tire out of balance though. I'm beginning to think that my factory shocks are not strong enough to hold the heavy tires on the ground. I put a couple hundred pounds of weight in the bed yesterday and it didn't seem quite as bad this morning when I drove to work. BTW, when I'm on a perfectly smooth section of road, and I mean perfect, I don't feel any issues.

I'm hearing from some people that I should have the truck re aligned ... It was aligned last year when I installed my leveling kit and it was done to the leveling kit specs . Now I have taller, wider tires, with a -18 offset... Would that cause the shaking?? The tires were road force balance and said to have no issues with the rims or tires

RamHemi2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm hearing from some people that I should have the truck re aligned ... It was aligned last year when I installed my leveling kit and it was done to the leveling kit specs . Now I have taller, wider tires, with a -18 offset... Would that cause the shaking?? The tires were road force balance and said to have no issues with the rims or tires

Yea it would cause shaking. I put fuel rims on my truck with a +1 offset and they shook at higher speeds. Needed to rotate the tire to find the high spots and add more weights.

RamFam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Mine almost feels like the axle is bouncing when I hit bumps. Even just the seams in the road. After putting some weight in the bed, it doesn't seem quite as bad. My tire size is 305/55r20 and they weigh about 25 lbs a tire more than the stock tires were.

Dbjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, Sport 2wd
Are you running 20x10 or 20x12 wheels? Btw, aside from the shake, truck looks great!

OP
OP
BEAST19

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ab070d0664fca4d7a8c9b0f915a92224.jpg1781577d485b12304bbe1829ef335688.jpg

New wheel set up 20x10" rims -18 offset with 33"x12" fuel gripper a/it's

Feels like they are unbalanced in the rear . Been "balanced" at many shops. Only to have the same feeling ! Has a ready lift leveling kit. Trying full alignment to see if that helps out? Any help??? Been to 4 shops! All say tires are good and nothing appears wrong.